User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CSA 2010 and Arizona DPS

I'm going to try and do this while it's fresh in my head, and only after calming down a bit ... I've been in this Industry for 33 years and I've never heard anything like this. Quarterly safety meetings were yesterday and our Safety Supervisor invited Arizona DPS to come in and give a presentation on the CSA 2010 regulations which are now in effect. We had a lot of questions and were looking forward to a productive meeting, boy did we get fooled. Shortly into the meeting we knew were in trouble, this Officer of the Law proclaimed, and the quote is verbatim: "It's my job to put the screws to you...." Seriously. Most of us lost track of how many times this guy said "It sucks to be you..." and that seems to pretty much be his answer to a lot of well thought out and insightful questions. We knew it already sucked to be us, but we were looking for some guidance and information to make this workable for everyone, not this smug, arrogant and cocky attitude he was throwing around. During a break I asked him a question about where a Driver has resources to get a safety issue resolved when he can't get it with the Company. His answer: "How many friends do you want to make?..." I just looked at him not knowing what to say. I thought it was a good question as much of the time we're not sure who to talk to for legitimate issues. The best question came from our Safety Supervisor herself when she pressed him, she asked if he inspected his own vehicle before starting his work day. His answer: "Am I supposed to, yes. Do I, no...." So kids, it's a do as I say, not as I do kind of world out there. And when you get pulled over by DPS in Arizona just remember, "It sucks to be you...." We already knew that, but thanks just the same.

I spoke with OOIDA yesterday in their Compliance Division....they say the Officer should be reported to his Superiors for coming off like that. His comments were unethical, unprofessional and over the line in most everyone's opinion that I've presented this to. I'm going to sit on this for a few more days and get some input from some of my fellow Truckers out there.

What say you? Am I on the right track or not?? Any and all input appreciated, not sure what exactly to do with this at this point.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jteamomaha View Post
I'm going to try and do this while it's fresh in my head, and only after calming down a bit ... I've been in this Industry for 33 years and I've never heard anything like this. Quarterly safety meetings were yesterday and our Safety Supervisor invited Arizona DPS to come in and give a presentation on the CSA 2010 regulations which are now in effect. We had a lot of questions and were looking forward to a productive meeting, boy did we get fooled. Shortly into the meeting we knew were in trouble, this Officer of the Law proclaimed, and the quote is verbatim: "It's my job to put the screws to you...." Seriously. Most of us lost track of how many times this guy said "It sucks to be you..." and that seems to pretty much be his answer to a lot of well thought out and insightful questions. We knew it already sucked to be us, but we were looking for some guidance and information to make this workable for everyone, not this smug, arrogant and cocky attitude he was throwing around. During a break I asked him a question about where a Driver has resources to get a safety issue resolved when he can't get it with the Company. His answer: "How many friends do you want to make?..." I just looked at him not knowing what to say. I thought it was a good question as much of the time we're not sure who to talk to for legitimate issues. The best question came from our Safety Supervisor herself when she pressed him, she asked if he inspected his own vehicle before starting his work day. His answer: "Am I supposed to, yes. Do I, no...." So kids, it's a do as I say, not as I do kind of world out there. And when you get pulled over by DPS in Arizona just remember, "It sucks to be you...." We already knew that, but thanks just the same.

I spoke with OOIDA yesterday in their Compliance Division....they say the Officer should be reported to his Superiors for coming off like that. His comments were unethical, unprofessional and over the line in most everyone's opinion that I've presented this to. I'm going to sit on this for a few more days and get some input from some of my fellow Truckers out there.

What say you? Am I on the right track or not?? Any and all input appreciated, not sure what exactly to do with this at this point.
There really isn't any reason to "sit on it"...or wait a few days. The "safety supervisor" should have put an end to this guy's visit, once he delcared his opinion. She should have sent that turd packing.

OOIDA was right. You should have already spoken with that joker's superiors.............................more to the point...................... that "safety supervisorr" should have.

The thing to remember is..."Payback" is a b*-itch. That trooper and his like-minded buddies will hammer on your company's trucks hard for the complaint....regardless of how wrong the dummy was for the things he said.

my 2.5 cents
Old 04-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Board Regular

I concur with orangetxguy. This guy is obviously out there to make a statement or point no matter the cost, and he was trying to instill fear in your group.. which is totally unprofessional in my opinion. Their job isn't to "put the screw to you" but to make sure you are doing the job in the safest manner possible. I know for a fact they don't teach that crappy mentality in the Arizona Law Enforcement Academy (or ALEA) so this officer has gained his ego through other means. Him telling you that is like an officer telling you during a regular innocent contact that his job is to find ANY reason to arrest you.

I would go to the branch office and file a written complaint, along with whatever other drivers you can get to do the same. Many think nothing will be done but all of these complaints go straight to Internal Affairs. Most cops hate IA because their job is to "put the screw" to dirty officers.

There was a female CMV officer acting this same crappy demeaning way in, near, or around Casa Grande... There were alot of complaints about her on the radio and I think landline now did a quick blurb on her.. but I haven't seen nor heard anything about her in quite a while. Wonder if she was finally dealt with...
Old 04-28-2011, 01:25 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I can't help but wonder if this is the prevailing attitude among many DOT these days. States are cash poor and this industry is an easy target. In any case, I would file a complaint. There are enough hassles out here without having to deal with people such as this guy. I would also get your safety person to go with you or file a separate complaint. It might lend more weight when you have someone from administration voicing a complaint. From your post, I am not sure that I could have contained myself when he started his threats.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:33 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I am not sure that I could have contained myself when he started his threats.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I can't help but wonder if this is the prevailing attitude among many DOT these days. States are cash poor and this industry is an easy target. In any case, I would file a complaint. There are enough hassles out here without having to deal with people such as this guy. I would also get your safety person to go with you or file a separate complaint. It might lend more weight when you have someone from administration voicing a complaint. From your post, I am not sure that I could have contained myself when he started his threats.

I am still of the opinion that the safety supervisor should have shown that POS the door as soon as his antics started.........and should have immediately contacted the POS's commander.............or the ADPS head-office..........and filed a complaint. Any LEO that is out on a visit like that, is representing the entire Arizona police force, at every level. The thought that some POS can sit down with.................or stand in front of........a group of professional drivers and mouth off like that is unimaginable.....as well as unprofessional.

A complaint from the management of the trucking company that invited the ADPS to send in an officer to discuss CSA, will go a lot farther towards getting an investigation started.....................and attitudes adjusted, than complaints sent late, from the drivers present. Over the years I have gotten to sit in different conference rooms, listening to various DOT officers from states such as Oklahoma, Ohio, Colorado, New Mexico, California, Oregon and Washington...and never heard anyone come off that bad. Yes...some "Frank Honesty".....but not belligerence like has been described.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:37 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

It always has a greater impact for someone from mangement to get involved.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Sorry, but this thread was accidently closed.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the replies,....and I agree that all of you are spot on. I am concerned that if I report this guy that things will get tough on all of us and we'll get hammered out there. We travel I-10 between Phoenix and Tucson heavily every day and all you see stopped out there is truck after truck. They definitely have a huge blind spot where cars are concerned. I don't think the Safety Supervisor will say anything, she has to work with these guys on a routine basis so she's trying to maintain a good relationship. It's touchy no matter which angle you consider it from.

GMAN,...thanks for your quick response to my E-Mail, much appreciated !!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Touchy situation or not, sometimes it is best to take a stand. I have found that it is better to stand up to people such as him and let them know that you will not sit back and take a lot of abuse. Perhaps if more were to stand up then there would be fewer who would be like him. The best way to take down a bully is to confront them. One of the worst bullies is one with a badge. I like to think that most cops are fair. From you post it sounds like this guy is anything but fair and plans to target truckers. If you report him and see that your trucks are being targeted more then I would file a complaint about that as well. In fact, it would be a good time to get media involved. The last thing people like that want is the spotlight when they know they are doing something wrong.