User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
If that's the case, you've never really had your logs checked out on the road. The neatness of the log is irrelevant to the correctness of the log.
Sure I have. I mentioned the one exception that I remembered at the time. Now that I think about it, there were three other times where officers in a POE went over them thoroughly as well. I'd forgotten about those. The one I mentioned was a roadside. The officer spent nearly an hour inputing every page of both my and my co-driver's logs. Nearly every page included an entry where I ended my driving line and went to line 1 and then line 2 at the location where we switched. One single flag. He didn't say a word about it. And believe me.... if he could have ticketed me for that as well, he would have. But many more times, they just flipped through a few pages, and handed it back to me.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
§395.8 Driver’s record of duty status.

(c) For each change of duty status, the name of the city, town or village, with State abbreviation, shall be recorded.
As usual, Rev... we are arguing multiple points of contention in one thread. This started off (I believe) with me saying that no flag was needed for a change of status from line 1 to line 2 as they are BOTH considered as OFF DUTY. If you go to the FMCSA logbook examples page (link provided by GTR Silver in the "newbie question to laugh at" thread) and read the second para (I believe it was) under example #21, you will find THESE words by the FMCSA:

Quote:
Because the driver then took at least 2 consecutive hours off duty, he or she accumulated another 10 hours of rest in two separate, qualifying periods totaling 10 hours.
This occurred at 9 p.m. on that example. The example clearly shows that the driver took ONE hour on line 1, immediately followed by ONE hour on line 2. Yet... the FMCSA "explained" it as the driver taking two consecutive hours OFF DUTY. THEY obviously don't consider that as a "duty status change." This is consistent with several other statements in the regs that consider S/B as OFF DUTY time. If you still have a problem with that, you might want to call and correct THEM.

The other point might be whether a flag is needed if a change of duty to line 4 or even 3 occurred at the same location as last flagged. I KNOW what the regs say. I also KNOW that J.J. Kellar doesn't show such a flag in their instructions for scannable logs. Perhaps, you would like to call THEM and correct THEM, too. (They also don't show a bracket.)

As I stated earlier, my logs have been checked thoroughly a few times by DOT officers who were LOOKING for any and all violations. It is their JOB (partly) to raise revenue for the state by ticketing us truckers for even the most minor mistake.

I will say that in most if not all cases where I have a duty status change at the same location, I use brackets. But, J.J. Kellar doesn't show that they are needed OR that a new flag is needed for each change of duty at the same location.

But, MANY times, I have flagged a stop going to line 1 for an hour or two to eat and shower, then dropped to line 2 as we left out with the other guy driving. I NEVER flag that change.... and I NEVER hear about it from the DOT or my company.

I believe this thread began with Matcat trying to simplify the program (especially the remarks section) as an improvement over the messy, anal method that DDL uses. I gave my opinion.

I believe HIS program would pass muster with Kellar, and he could probably get a job with them. YOUR method would obviously get you a job with the makers of DDL.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
This started off (I believe) with me saying that no flag was needed for a change of status from line 1 to line 2 as they are BOTH considered as OFF DUTY.
The regulation states nothing of the sort. It says that each duty status change requires a notation of the city and state. Changing from sleeper berth to off duty is a duty status change.

Using your "logic", no notation would be required when switching between lines 3 and 4, because lines 3 and 4 are both ON DUTY.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Well a former swifty, who uses scannable JJ Keller logs, and was tought by their method. Brackets never have been used, demonstrated, or other wise mentioned. Considering my entire time with swift I never had a log violation of any sort. I feel like giving some examples

The grid and remarks as the program I am working on displays right now:

That is exactly how I log in real life, except on that last flag I would not even have a comment, nor would I flag a toll either.

Compare that to this PDF which is an image of DDL JJ Keller log http://www.driversdailylog.com/_them...0803log%20.pdf
Quite honestly that DDL log gives me a headache just looking at the remarks.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 05-04-2009, 11:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
Well a former swifty, who uses scannable JJ Keller logs, and was tought by their method. Brackets never have been used, demonstrated, or other wise mentioned. Considering my entire time with swift I never had a log violation of any sort. I feel like giving some examples

The grid and remarks as the program I am working on displays right now:

That is exactly how I log in real life, except on that last flag I would not even have a comment, nor would I flag a toll either.

Compare that to this PDF which is an image of DDL JJ Keller log http://www.driversdailylog.com/_them...0803log%20.pdf
Quite honestly that DDL log gives me a headache just looking at the remarks.
What gives me a headache is having to scroll back and forth because of YOUR over sized scans. Plus it appears lines of text is being covered.

If you never flagged a toll the your logs were false.

Along this same line. If this is causing so much of a hassle what is it going to be like when you get to the rules?

Don't you ever preview your post?

kc0iv
Old 05-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv View Post
What gives me a headache is having to scroll back and forth because of YOUR over sized scans. Plus it appears lines of text is being covered.

If you never flagged a toll the your logs were false.

Along this same line. If this is causing so much of a hassle what is it going to be like when you get to the rules?

Don't you ever preview your post?

kc0iv
Sorry, my laptop has 1650x1250 resolution, it fits fine on my screen, actually has a few inches to the scroolbar on the right, that window is 1024x768, I keep forgetting people have lower resolutions .

And no a line is not getting covered up, it is the way I took the screen shot, that window is not maximized on my desktop, it only takes up a piece of it, the actual programming tool I use to program it is behind it, when I cropped it I didn't crop it perfectly so some of the code is visible.

Also please state regulations that require you to log a toll. Tolls do not have to be logged! Your company might require it but it is not an FMCSA regulation of any kind.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt

Last edited by matcat; 05-04-2009 at 02:21 PM.