Old 11-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth_Buster View Post
Got Mud:

It's all perception GM, the LEO sees equipment with poor maintenance and it is assumed the lack of maintenance is money related. It's common knowledge that safety is first to take a hit as the belt tightens as safety has no return.

Regarding falsification, the DOT gives carriers 10% for management, IOW, if I look at 150 days of logs and there are 10 violations the false logs have no impact on the carrier's rating. On the other hand if there are 150 days examined and 15 vioations are discovered it has an impact on the carrier's safety rating.

Regarding the situation of shippers and carriers taking forever to load.... The driver feels pressured to falsify their log to hide the waiting time that affected their 14 hour rule. The pressure the driver felt is because many drivers are paid by the mile and the time waiting is lost revenue. For the hourly driver they falsify to ensure they don't exceed the 14 hour rule.

Not to disagree but I've seen false logs by hourly workers and mile workers... It all boils back down to money.

Carriers allow drivers to falsify their records to ensure their customers remain satisfied and freight is delivered on-time. Do some carriers expect too much of their drivers? Yes, do some driver follow Larry the Cable Guy's mentality of "Get-er-done." Yes. Does the violation of the safety regs potentially put human life at stake... Yes.

I've participated in three NTSB investigations and two criminal investigations, my comments and concerns are based on drivers who made a bad choice and faced severe consequences later, i.e. jail time.

It's the driver's choice, however, the driver needs to heavily weigh the consequences before doing something stupid because when things go south their freedom weighs in the balance.

Be safe.
Great info Myth_Buster. Good luck with trying to convince some of these dyed-in-the-wool old school types. They are stuck in 1973 style trucking and refuse to adapt to the rapidly changing industry.

Mandated EOBRs are about to put an end to much of the tomfoolery. These so called "professionals" should be welcoming these changes in the name of safety alone.................. EOBR technology, contrary to what has been stated, is not expensive, and is even available to parents interested in monitoring the activities of their children in POVs.

EOBRs will be a huge step towards putting an end to the rampage of the most dangerous criminal in the United States..........The sleepy, non-compliant, unsafe CMV driver. If the driver wants to be regarded as a professional, the driver must be monitored and regulated as a professional.

Out with the riff-raff!!

Last edited by belpre122; 11-03-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:12 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by belpre122 View Post
These so called "professionals" should be welcoming these changes in the name of safety alone..................
Screw the safety. I welcome the change in the name of better rates.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
Screw the safety. I welcome the change in the name of better rates.
I agree, my paycheck should almost double being that I am paid by the hour. No more "making it back" because we can get away with it. 14 hours and hit up the hotel-motel and make even more money.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Board Regular
Default thanks

I think I like the simple ... Bixby(Tulsa) entryThanks all for the input.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Reading the original post I think he is a local delivery driver so unless this Bixby is over a hundred miles from the yard he doesn't need to log anything anyway.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:26 AM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
Reading the original post I think he is a local delivery driver so unless this Bixby is over a hundred miles from the yard he doesn't need to log anything anyway.
Depends on company policy. I haven't been more than 100 miles from the yard for a couple of years, yet am required to keep a full logbook.

Additionally, if I understand correctly. If you are using the the 100 Air Mile Radius logging method, you are limited to a 12 hour shift. Traditional logging will allow you to operate for the full 14 hours. (including utilizing the 16 Hour Short-Haul exception)

Old 11-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Senior Board Member
Talking

Quote:
Depends on company policy. I haven't been more than 100 miles from the yard for a couple of years, yet am required to keep a full logbook.

Additionally, if I understand correctly. If you are using the the 100 Air Mile Radius logging method, you are limited to a 12 hour shift. Traditional logging will allow you to operate for the full 14 hours. (including utilizing the 16 Hour Short-Haul exception)

I haven't read the reg's in a while...so I COULD BE WRONG...BUT.....You gotz ta log everythng youz do Gary...because of the weird red thingy on the four sides of your cargo tank...the one that has the little campfire thingy and the black numberz....1203. I'm pretty sure they beat that into our headz back in the day az the reazon we-unz had to log every thingy we-unz did.

:moon::moon::moon:

Now....On a more serious note.

WHEN you are logging in the suburbs, are you required to have any special work permits?

DO you have to have any special safety equipment for falling objects?

Does the chainsaw have to have a special type muffler to mitigate noise while logging??

:clap::clap::clap: :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:
Old 11-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Local Advocate
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
I haven't read the reg's in a while...so I COULD BE WRONG...BUT.....You gotz ta log everythng youz do Gary...because of the weird red thingy on the four sides of your cargo tank...the one that has the little campfire thingy and the black numberz....1203. I'm pretty sure they beat that into our headz back in the day az the reazon we-unz had to log every thingy we-unz did.

:moon::moon::moon:
You'd think that would be the case Stan, but it's not. :eek2: Plenty of fuel companies follow the 100 air mile radius method. In fact, one HUGE HUGE truck stop chain utilizes the 100 Air mile radius log book. If you have never seen one, one page= one week! Start time, end time and something to do with VI and that is all. It doesn't get any easier that that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Now....On a more serious note.

WHEN you are logging in the suburbs, are you required to have any special work permits?

DO you have to have any special safety equipment for falling objects?

Does the chainsaw have to have a special type muffler to mitigate noise while logging??

:clap::clap::clap: :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:
Again, you'd think so, but I don't!:lol: Since I am one of the chosen, one of the few, one of the "local" greats. Permits are not necessary for us.:clap:

Gotta go Stan. Running to Crawfordsville, reload, and then to Kokomo. Then..........back HOME.:bow::moon:

It's a tough life Stan. Somebody has to do it though!:lol:

Be back in a few hours.....................

Old 11-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Gotta go Stan. Running to Crawfordsville, reload, and then to Kokomo. Then..........back HOME.:bow::moon:

It's a tough life Stan. Somebody has to do it though!:lol:

Be back in a few hours.....................

:tears::tears::tears::tears::tears:

I'm headed to Belle WV. DuPont called in an emergency order friday afternoon...the rate was so good...I couldn't say no. :tears::tears::tears::tears:

Damn them big companies and their deep pockets! I was gonna take a few more days off...like that SLACKER that works fer Superior carriers!!
:hellno::hellno::hellno::hellno: :lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2: