User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Where to find a lawyer for a traffic violation

A friend of mine got a ticket today for not completely stopping at a stop sign. I am wondering if anybody knows how to find a lawyer that specilizes in commercial vehicle violations in Ohio. Thanks.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Ticket

Look for an Ohio lawyer practicing in the municipality where you got the ticket. BOL
Old 03-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Senior Board Member

try http://www.interstatetrucker.com/
Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Interstate Trucker is garbage. :roll:
Old 03-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Please tell me why you say so, Rev. I think this is the one I selected after checking out several alternates. Also, go ahead and tell me why you feel a "prepaid" advocacy group such as this is worse than paying top dollar for a local lawyer where one might GET a ticket.

It wouldn't surprise me if all of these "trucker representative" organizations are crap, but I'd like to know if you or anyone has any REAL experience with them to back up such a statement.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:41 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Please tell me why you say so, Rev. I think this is the one I selected after checking out several alternates. Also, go ahead and tell me why you feel a "prepaid" advocacy group such as this is worse than paying top dollar for a local lawyer where one might GET a ticket.

It wouldn't surprise me if all of these "trucker representative" organizations are crap, but I'd like to know if you or anyone has any REAL experience with them to back up such a statement.
About 6 years ago or so I received a ticket in Iowa for speeding. I contacted Interstate Trucker immediately, and was told for a mere $550, they would defend me. I paid the fee.

About a month later, I get a letter in the mail stating that a default judgement had been entered against me. The reason? Failure to appear or respond. Interstate Trucker did nothing to fight my ticket. They didn't even enter a plea on my behalf. I spent the next 6 months trying to get this judgement reversed, all the while having Interstate Trucker trying to convince me to simply plead guilty on it.

They are a complete and utter waste of money.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Board Icon

Thanks for the quick response, Rev. I will do some more checking!

A year or so ago, I got a following too close ticket in New Mexico. I called a bunch of local lawyers with no real response. I checked out several of the more "prominent" (read advertising) organizations, and called two or three of them.

Interstate Trucker told me that New Mexico is one of the FEW states where they have little success.... especially if you signed the ticket admitting responsibility.

However, they assured me that they have a good track record against most OTHER states, in most cases. I've been paying them $13 a month ever since! [And I'll NEVER sign another ticket admitting responsibility!]

Lucky for me.... they just wanted the money! As far as I can tell.... the ticket has never showed up on my NC MVR!! Obviously I was concerned, as this IS a "major violation" and two of those in three years means an unpaid vacation of two months!

I KNOW we haven't always agreed, REV.... and I hope you know that sometimes it was just in fun, but I DO value your opinions. What do you say is best in this situation? Prepaid legal?? Local lawyer?

Are ANY of these prepaid legal organizations any good in your opinion?

Old 03-13-2008, 07:07 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
However, they assured me that they have a good track record against most OTHER states, in most cases.
They told me the same thing when I hired them. Something about a 96% success rate in Iowa. Uh huh. Sure.

Quote:
Lucky for me.... they just wanted the money! As far as I can tell.... the ticket has never showed up on my NC MVR!! Obviously I was concerned, as this IS a "major violation" and two of those in three years means an unpaid vacation of two months!
Many states don't report. I know Illinois doesn't, and Iowa doesn't after a certain period. I managed to drag my Iowa ticket out long enough that they could no longer report it. I found that information on my own, as Interstate Trucker never gave me any information whatsoever.

Quote:
What do you say is best in this situation? Prepaid legal?? Local lawyer?
Don't get the ticket in the first place. No legal team necessary. I've found that the best defense against tickets is a light right foot.

Quote:
Are ANY of these prepaid legal organizations any good in your opinion?
I don't know, as I have never used, nor will ever use, another prepaid legal service again.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
What do you say is best in this situation? Prepaid legal?? Local lawyer?

Don't get the ticket in the first place. No legal team necessary. I've found that the best defense against tickets is a light right foot.
Thanks for the response, but not what I was hoping for! :lol:

I DO have a fast truck, but I wasn't SPEEDING. I was in the fast lane, about to pass a "KNOWN" slower truck. I couldn't see the cop on the side of the road because of the angle through his truck.

He pulled over with the usual "blinker across the line" method, and I immediately hit the JAKES! As we passed the cop, I was slowing down to allow more space, but the cop had already gotten a call from the "spy." Problem is the SPY had it wrong, at the time I passed under the overpass where the SPY was, I was in a lane by myself, with the other truck in the other lane. The cop FIRST said, I was following too closely behind him WHEN HE SAW ME. THEN, when I confronted him with the facts, he said the SPY saw it differently. SO..... he was lying from the get go! :shock: :lol:

The cop told me about some kid killed by a trucker who was speeding and ran over a POV. That is NOT my problem! I did everything right and legal!

This is why I am SO AGAINST the idiots who tailgate and expecially those who cut back in front of me BEFORE I "flash them!" My lane is MY RIGHT OF WAY, and another truck is NOT legal to take that right of way away!

By doing so.... they put ME in the position of "following too closely" which is a MAJOR violation! Usually, when truckers cut me off, they flash their blinkers indicating they want to come over. If it is TOO CLOSE.... I put on MY BLINKER indicating that I will have to CHANGE TO THE OTHER LANE if they insist! They do it anyway.... and "I" change lanes to a clear road.... HOPING they will get the message that I don't WANT them 6 yards off my front bumper! It is not MY responsibility to SLOW DOWN so that some idiot can take away my "right of way!" ESPECIALLY when there is no 4wheeler or truck PUSHING him to get out of the fast lane!

If "you" have enough "juice" to pass me..... then keep the pedal down until you are CLEAR of me! I don't understand why this is so hard for truckers to understand! :shock:

It goes against my grain as a professional, but I'm considering putting my lights on BRIGHT from now on if a trucker wants to cut me off!! Too many of them DON'T seem to get the message when I signal and change lanes BEHIND them!

And remember, my truck will do 75 or more! So ANY truck who is trying to pass me is probably triple digit or otherwise "ungoverned!" There is NO EXCUSE for him to SLOW DOWN just in front of my bumper and WANT to get right in front of me!

This is my BIGGEST "pet peeve" and there are LEGAL reasons why I am concerned!

So.... do you have any other "constructive" comments about how one should go about fighting tickets? Your "light foot" comment is dismissed.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Board Icon

Quote:

So.... do you have any other "constructive" comments about how one should go about fighting tickets? Your "light foot" comment is dismissed.
Don't pass people.