User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2007, 01:45 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default ELECTRONIC lOG BOOKS

Ok, so I've started looking and reading about this DDL logging system for my laptop. It seems to be legit as most things are considered. I've read good and bad's about it and I'm wondering if there are any O/O's out there using this system solo instead of loose leaf, or JJ Keller books. Their website states that the system is totally legal with a few "minor" flaws that I suppose some DOT guys might fight, but as far the website states its all legal and the only big question for it would be the hand written signature. They do say you can scan and import a copy of your signature and it puts it on your DDL system, but I'm just unsure and would like some info and input from actual users. Thanks for reading!

Please give me your personal thoughts and experiences with this program and I'm considering the switch as 90% of my loads/paperwork and mapping are done on my laptop, this would make things easier for me.

Sorry, if this has been addressed somewhere else in the board, but I figured its a good topic and could always use new reviews and ideas! Thanks!

Chop
Old 12-23-2007, 02:39 AM
Senior Board Member

I know just the guy/gal( don't know which--and since i've been getting it trouble-best to play it safe.

kc0iv.........KC0IV!!!!! where are you? we got a convert knelling at the
alter of DDL! Just kidding.

hey Kc0iv---this guy wants info.

I was gonna start a thread asking for more input on the subject, but PorkChop beat me too it.

until he finds this thread, I'll try to keep you entertained--if not enlightened.

yes, one limitation is you have to print the logs up each day & sign them.
which means you need a printer set up ready 24-7.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headborg
I know just the guy/gal( don't know which--and since i've been getting it trouble-best to play it safe.

kc0iv.........KC0IV!!!!! where are you? we got a convert knelling at the
alter of DDL! Just kidding.

hey Kc0iv---this guy wants info.

I was gonna start a thread asking for more input on the subject, but PorkChop beat me too it.

until he finds this thread, I'll try to keep you entertained--if not enlightened.

yes, one limitation is you have to print the logs up each day & sign them.
which means you need a printer set up ready 24-7.
Reporting for duty sir.

I started using DDL shortly after it was released. I was a company driver back then so I still had to fill out a logbook ( company wouldn't accept a print out) so I used it to make sure the math was correct. Plus many of the other portions of the program. When I changed companies and later became a O/O I installed a printer and starting printing out a copy. Never filled out a logbook again.

I didn't like the idea of having the computer turned on while the truck was in motion so I'd make my entries each time I changed duty status. However, I talked to many drivers that used it full time and never had a problem.

When I had a printer die I stopped at the next town and bought another printer. I also made a floppy copy everyday as backup. I also had a copy of DDL on a floppy so I could reinstall it if something happened.

Now about D.O.T. and DDL. Every time I was checked as soon as they saw the printout they never went pass the first page. In fact many of the inspectors wanted to know more about the program and where they could get a copy. I started making a copy and would give them a copy when they ask.

I'll tell you what happened when I was in Memphis one time. I got one of the calls into the office for a paper check. So I took in the printouts and other paperwork. Well they wanted the paperwork on the trailer (never had them ask for that before) so I went back out to the truck to get the trailer's paperwork. Well the the box was empty. So I walked back in and told them and figured that would be good for a fine. Well instead of them giving me a fine all they wanted to do was talk about DDL. Since I had some time I went out to the truck and got the laptop and showed them how the program worked. They got so involved they never completed the inspection. Needless to say that saved me some bucks.

Now as to using a signature. As DDL says it is NOT legal. However, I used it and never had a problem.

I alway had a paper logbook just in case the laptop died but never had to use them. One thing you do have to remember is printer ink will freeze. So either remove the ink or have a printer that doesn't use a cartridge.

How much you use DDL is up to you. I never used all the functions that DDL had. One of the features I loved was being able to know how many days I was out each month. No more counting. One press of the keys and I had the results. Great feature when it came time to do the IRS thing. In respect the IRS deductions you can deduct the cost of DDL off your taxes.

One other side story. When I had my stroke and OOIDA retrieved my tractor from MS one of the first things my wife did was fire up the laptop and retrieve the data from DDL. I had been sending the data back to the house but I hadn't done it for a few days so her records were not up to date. Which BTW is a real good way to have the data backed up from the laptop. Since the data is a plain text file it is easy to transfer over any internet connection. If they haven't change DDL you can have a second copy on another computer at no charge. You need to verify this since it has been over two years since I used DDL.

As far as using DDL for logging it can't be beat. If you follow DDL you can not make an illegal logbook. It will warn you that you have violated some log entry. As many of you know I wasn't above pushing the logbook a little bit. And while I don't endorse fudging a logbook DDL did make it easy to adjust a logbook. Which BTW is why DDL is not approved by D.O.T. They have approved DDL as far as accepting the printout.

As I have said many times -- If I was still driving I wouldn't leave home without DDL.

If they haven't changed you can download DDL and can use it for 30 days and see if you like it. If you do then send them the money and they will turn on your system. You won't lose any data. If you don't want it uninstall it. Why anyone wouldn't want it is beyond me. I might add they have several print modules that will print the data in a form that can be scanned directly into your company scanner.

As far as support they are one of the best companies I have dealt with. If you have a problem they will determine where the problem is and tell you how to fix it.

Anyway unless they have changed I fully recommend DDL.

kc0iv
Old 12-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Senior Board Member

If they haven't changed you can download DDL and can use it for 30 days and see if you like it. If you do then send them the money and they will turn on your system. You won't lose any data. If you don't want it uninstall it. Why anyone wouldn't want it is beyond me.

The free trial is currently 60 days.

Thanks for that review, I have been toying with DDL a bit and your input is valued.

Creek
Old 12-23-2007, 03:39 PM
Senior Board Member

It's hard to teach an old dog, new tricks.

I got the trial and tried it...and have been waiting for the program to 'evolve'
more- I was hoping you guys would tell me that it has.

I know many of my limitations.
Once I bought this fancy log book cover-with the zipper-real nice and neat.
Problem was, once zipped up I had the darned time remembering to unzip it
and fill it out-at every change of duty.

I also know- and reluctant to buy a laptop stand/mount and have it open in the cab going down the road. TOO much distraction. I'm just afraid I'd be watching DVD's, surfing message boards, chatting with instant messanger.

What I mean by 'evolve' more would be like this:

Is the DDL linked/sync with the computer's clock and/or Internet time?

So, you could be running along, pull into a rest area, set the brakes, --
and reach over and hit 1 keystroke---and it draw that line right up to the last 15minute mark? I would also like the ability to link it to Delorme GPS-- and in the above example it would draw a flag there- and enter the
current GPS location right there for you.

See the trial I tried out--you had to use the touch pad, put on your glasses, find where you wanted to draw the line to- then click to draw the line over there. All that, plus unpack the laptop from it's case, fire it up,
draw the lines. And then hook up a printer that evening and print one out.

It just seems so much easier to reach up on the dash, pull you log book down( on a clipboard) draw the line- be done with it- still.

I've heard they've improved DDL and it now will Sync with Delorme---but to what extent?

And as to the Digital Signature yes- that's still a gray area in the law--the
FMCSA guidance reads---the log shall be signed in the drivers own
handwriting.
But you can buy a Wacom pen & digitizer pad at best buy---and do all the handwriting you want. Including digital signatures.
(you might even get this to work on the DDL graph page-although I don't know why you'd want to ruin all those perfect lines)
Old 12-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Senior Board Member

The only thing I have to say about using any kind of computer logging program is to make sure your company will accept them. Even if your company is listed on the page that says they will, be sure to call your safety/logging department and ask, otherwise all the program is going to be good for is checking for potential violations.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
The only thing I have to say about using any kind of computer logging program is to make sure your company will accept them. Even if your company is listed on the page that says they will, be sure to call your safety/logging department and ask, otherwise all the program is going to be good for is checking for potential violations.
in defense of DDL- I've seen different sets of "print"
templates----these templates are formated to meet the scanning needs of various companies. In respect to layout, scale, even the Name & address of the carrier is pre-formatted on the page- That way, when you print it out- and transflow it---you company gets a log page with everything were it needs to be for their log scanning program to read it.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Board Regular

Quote:

YOU get in trouble ??? perish the thought :wink: :lol:
Old 12-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahlana
Quote:

YOU get in trouble ??? perish the thought :wink: :lol:

So.....where you and bro gonna be driving out of (excuse me- where will you
brother be driving- you riding out of) :wink:
P.S. more pics of J.W.'s mullet are on the way...stick around and don't be a stranger.......
Old 12-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Board Regular

I have been running DDL, computer based logging system for almost a year now and LOVE it! Like someone else said, DOT usually has me explain how it works and where to get it when they see it. One thing to remember though, (the subject of this thread is Electronic Logging) this is NOT Electronic Logging as recognized by FMCSA or DOT. This is just another form of the standard Drivers daily Log book. If your company has a bad safety record and is required by FMCSA to go EOBL's a computer log does not do the job.