User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2007, 11:16 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I've been running DDL for about a year and a half now. I can't imagine doing it manually again. As far as the DOT, I've had similar experiences to the others on here - they mainly just look at it and you're good to go or they want more information on it.

The asking of information about it got me out of an overweight on I-70 just west of Baltimore. When I went in with all my paperwork (they already had my previous 7-day log) I was greeted by about 15 DOT trainees and was asked numerous questions about it. I even brought my laptop in to show them what all it was capable of.

So, ya, it's well worth it. Just make sure that you have a printer/paper/ink in the truck to be able to print a log sheet immediately if requested.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Senior Board Member

As I said it has been over 2 going on three years since I used DDL so something may have changed.

DDL is sync to the computer clock. However, you can enter time you want for each entry. I don't think you can do a 1 stroke entry. I think you could do it in maybe 2. You would have to select what the status change was ( what line you want to be on.) Again I didn't use DDL in real time so I don't know just what it took.

When I used it I had the laptop setting on the bunk stand always hooked up so all I had to do what turn it on. Click on DDL and make my entries. At the end of the day I'd make a printout and make a backup. If D.O.T. wanted to see today's date I print him/her a copy. BTW In all the years I used DDL I never had a D.O.T. officer ask me for today's copy. When I handed them my log and they saw it was a DDL printout they never looked any farther than than the first page.

I don't know if DDL will connect to a GPS system or not. The last copy I had didn't have such a inter-connection.

I would agree if all you want to do is print log sheets there isn't really a big advantaged to have DDL. Other than knowing your log will be legal. You didn't make a careless mistake in doing the math.

I used DDL for several other functions aimed more to O/O than company drivers.

Legally your log has to be signed. Like I said I scanned my handwritten signature into DDL and no one ever questioned it. Again no one ever looked at more than the first page. Maybe if they had they might have question the signature.

The biggest comment I had from inspectors was how neat the printout was. They didn't have to guess what was on the page. I had one inspector make the comment he could tell what engine was in the truck by how the logbook looked. You would be surprised how many drivers don't even use a straight edge when they do their logs.

Uturn I agree 100% before some one sends in a DDL log they should make sure the log department will accept them.

One other function was checking number of days out for taxes.

If I recall for DDL to create a detailed print modular one of the requirements was the company had to request the print modular. A driver couldn't make such a request him/herself. There was other requirements but I don't know what they are.

If DDL is for you is a choice only you can make.

kc0iv
Old 12-24-2007, 12:49 AM
Board Regular

I've been using DDL for over 2 years now. No way I'll go back to paper. I don't know if it will do the gps thing, I don't think so. Like KC01V, I've never had DOT look past the first page (which would be yesterday's log). Many have wanted to look at the program and I always oblige, time willing. I've never had an officer question the validity of the log, ever.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Senior Board Member

They do have a gps addon available for download. When you click to enter the location there is a button for the GPS entry, which is completely automatic. However, it ONLY supports the USA.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
They do have a gps addon available for download. When you click to enter the location there is a button for the GPS entry, which is completely automatic. However, it ONLY supports the USA.
Ok, this is the kind of info I need--before I go spend $200.00 for a Ram Laptop stand, $60.00 for Delorme- etc. Now can you tell me how it works- with GPS. Does the program automatically draw a line-flag and pull the GPS
location from the GPS? how about automatic line drawing on line 3-drive line. If all the program still does is--add up hours & check against Rules--then I could still do this myself. So it is inSync with some kind of clock- and will roll along real-time? I mean what I have in mind is--like this once it detects the longitude/latitude changing with the GPS- it begins drawing a line on line 3? when it detects no change of position for like 5 minutes- auto flag a gps location( like while the truck is setting at rest area and you run in to whiz)?--then ask you to account for this "still" time- line 1,2,4? Then start another line automatically when the truck starts rolling again( at that time)??
Old 12-24-2007, 01:48 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
in defense of DDL- I've seen different sets of "print"
templates----these templates are formated to meet the scanning needs of various companies. In respect to layout, scale, even the Name & address of the carrier is pre-formatted on the page- That way, when you print it out- and transflow it---you company gets a log page with everything were it needs to be for their log scanning program to read it.
There are still two issues you have to deal with.

1: Companies do change logbooks, scanners, etc so the templates may not be current.

2: The company for what ever reason may decide it only wants to accept logs in a driver's own handwriting, even though it may have accepted a computer generated log in the past.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member

It doesn't automatically track your location as you drive. When you do a change of status for whatever reason, you have to put in the location. It will automatically use the current system time (rounded to the nearest 15 minute) or you can change the time manually. You also have to tell it to use the GPS location or enter the city/state manually.

As far as the line drawing, that is automatic. As time passes, the line will automatically extend. You can press one key to see exactly how many hours you have left for the day up to the minute.

Best bet - download the demo. It's good for 60 days. That will let you decide whether or not you'll like it.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
It doesn't automatically track your location as you drive. When you do a change of status for whatever reason, you have to put in the location. It will automatically use the current system time (rounded to the nearest 15 minute) or you can change the time manually. You also have to tell it to use the GPS location or enter the city/state manually.

As far as the line drawing, that is automatic. As time passes, the line will automatically extend. You can press one key to see exactly how many hours you have left for the day up to the minute.

Best bet - download the demo. It's good for 60 days. That will let you decide whether or not you'll like it.
obviously, I didn't "play" with the demo long enough--then again- it was like 2 years ago when I download it....

So, let me see I understand your last statement:

as long as the program is running- whatever your last "change of duty" status is----it will continue to draw a line horizontally up to the last 15minutes ( sync with computer clock)<<<<see I didn't even play with it long enough to see that. I'm swaying here....
Old 12-26-2007, 01:45 AM
Rookie

Ok, 1 more pretty simple questions that I couldn't find.

If I only drive 6 -9 hrs in a day....do I still have to log 10 off, or am I legally able to log 8 off??? How does that work i fyou dont use all 11 hours in a day??

Chop
Old 12-26-2007, 01:58 AM