User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2007, 06:28 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I agree with Mike. Although I didn't drive back then, I don't remember anyone saying they couldn't do the job under the old rules. To the contrary, I hear many pining for the old days.

With all the "sitting around" I hear about here, I don't see how one less hour of driving will necessarily make a difference. And with MOST companies keeping solo drivers out for weeks at a time, I doubt that many of you get a 34 hour reset anyway.

Personally, I think it will be DEVASTATING to one in MY position. However, I realize that my company existed for years BEFORE the new rules, so I guess I'll have to learn how they did it.

I don't see this as being a catalyst to a "further" shortage of drivers. Unless everyone quits over this.... which is unlikely.

I'll say it one more time.... the SIMPLE answer, and MAYBE what they are heading towards, is making ALL trucks a TEAM operation.

If EVERY one of you could make the money, and be HOME for 2 days a week, like I am, I believe there would be alot less bitching going on, and alot less turnover.

I know.... then it wouldn't be as much of a "lifestyle" as it would be a "job," but which is more important? Based on the number of people coming on here wanting to go "local" right out of school, I think the answer is obvious.

The problem is, that if you get 2 or more days at home each week, the 70 hour rule plays HECK with your delivery schedule, and trip planning. JUST IN TIME warehousing would have to go away (unless we all went "team.") Running hard for 5 or 6 days does no good if you pull a ZERO day on the day of your delivery and you're still 200 miles out!

Here's a thought..... maybe, they will be forced to "turn up" the slow trucks, and/or do away with the lower truck speed limits, so that you can get more miles in 10 hours!

Remember the "Crackaces" system of 8.75 hours a day indefinitely? How does the 10 hour rule restrict you from doing this? Many of you "Solar Powered" drivers don't drive 10 hours a day as it is!

And someone mentioned truckstops being MORE full?? :shock: :roll:

How does shutting down ONE HOUR earlier change the number of trucks sitting overnight in a truckstop?

There are a LOT of things wrong with the current rules AND the proposed "rescission." But, not as much as is being posted here (and on the similar threads.) Adding 5 mph to every truck that can't currently do 70, will gain back that hour! Maybe, this will be the incentive for your companies to do JUST that!

I definitely hope they can keep the 34 hour restart. Smartest thing they ever did! But, as for the rest.... I don't think the "sky is falling" just yet.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Golfhobo,

I happen to believe all in all the old system was a better system. I do like the 34 hour reset however. If I was still driving I would gladly give up the 11 hour and go back to the 10 hour system if we also went back the the old split sleeper way of doing it. Even for teams the old split sleeper way was better in my opinion.

I think you judgment is being clouded by your team status. Having a team make pickup and deliveries for short distances say 500 - 700 miles just doesn't make sense.

As fuel cost continue to rise I think you will see more slow trucks rather than fewer. And as far as increase speed limits if anything more states will reduce truck speeds rather than increase them.

Next time your at a truck stop after say 8:00 pm count the number of spaces available east of the Mississippi. In a lot of area if your not parked by 4:00 pm finding a spot can be a real task. Again I think your judgment is being affected because of your team status.

Trucks are turned down for mainly two reasons. (1) Fuel cost. (2) Safety.

The anti- trucking groups won't be happy until all trucks are limited to 8 hour days. 5 day per week. Days only. And even then most of them do not want trucks on the highway.

What I see happening in the future is more freight will be shipped by rail much like they do with containers now.

I was telling my wife just this morning I'm glad I'm retired and don't have to worry about the HOS anymore.

kc0iv
Old 07-26-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv

The anti- trucking groups won't be happy until all trucks are limited to 8 hour days. 5 day per week. Days only. And even then most of them do not want trucks on the highway.
I wonder how they figure they'll eat? Or have clothes? Or computers? :wink:

I would love to go back to the old system but keep the 34 hour reset which in my opinion was the only good thing about the new system.

This ruling likely won't result in anything being resolved to everyone's satisfaction any time soon.

Hi mom
Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Golfhobo,

I happen to believe all in all the old system was a better system. I do like the 34 hour reset however. If I was still driving I would gladly give up the 11 hour and go back to the 10 hour system if we also went back the the old split sleeper way of doing it. Even for teams the old split sleeper way was better in my opinion.

My brother and his wife drive team and do the 5 and 5 split. It is illegal, of course, but they do it. I don't have any experience with this, but wouldn't like it, I don't think. As a team, I want to do my day, then get a long rest. If I have to get up every 5 hours and work again, I don't think I will EVER feel like I'm getting a "night off." If I drove solo, I could see the advantages, but I MUST admit that I can see how the lack of "complete restorative rest" would be hampered. After 2 or 3 weeks of this, I don't think one is fully "alert."

Here's an idea: Bring back the 5/5 split (or whatever you want) for about 4 or 5 days, then FORCE a 34 hour reset! That would do the trick!

I think your judgment is being clouded by your team status. Having a team make pickup and deliveries for short distances say 500 - 700 miles just doesn't make sense.

This is a very valid point. I hadn't thought of it this way. Thank you for giving me yet MORE perspective from which to formulate my opinions.

As fuel cost continue to rise I think you will see more slow trucks rather than fewer. And as far as increase speed limits if anything more states will reduce truck speeds rather than increase them.

You may well be RIGHT, but it is NOT logical. I offered a simple solution to reducing the hours and yet getting the same miles. Wouldn't that make EVERYONE happier?

Next time your at a truck stop after say 8:00 pm count the number of spaces available east of the Mississippi. In a lot of area if your not parked by 4:00 pm finding a spot can be a real task. Again I think your judgment is being affected because of your team status.

Oh.... I've BEEN there... and other places, MANY times! I think we may be saying the same thing here, but what I'M saying is that one less hour per day won't make a difference. The truckstops will STILL be full. As a team driver, I can't even find a spot late at night so I can stop and EAT or SHOWER. IF more of these trucks were TEAMED, there would be less in the T/S's at night, and more on the road (when traffic is lighter and therefore SAFER,) and therefore more slots for me to park in for an hour or two, and LESS trucks needed to carry the freight. How is parking every truck in the country by 4 pm considered EFFECTIVE resource management?

Trucks are turned down for mainly two reasons. (1) Fuel cost. (2) Safety.

There is a point at which even THEY must be shown some logic! Such limitations WOULD probably require MORE trucks on the road, and ALL of them during the same hours that MOST 4wheelers need the road. This cannot be considered a "safer" alternative. A BETTER alternative would be (if necessary) restricting drivers to 8 hours of driving, but making the truck a TEAM operation so that the other driver is driving at NIGHT, when the roads are clear. I almost wish they could get what they THINK they want - for a month or two - to see how empty the shelves would be at their favorite stores, etc.!

What I see happening in the future is more freight will be shipped by rail much like they do with containers now.

I recently read that the rail system cannot keep up with the demand they allready HAVE! I've SEEN this to be true in the west, where I pass trains full of containers AND semi trailers just SITTING there waiting for an oncoming train to clear the tracks! It IS impressive, though, to see a couple hundred trailors loaded on a train, and realize that is that many LESS trucks on the roads!

I was telling my wife just this morning I'm glad I'm retired and don't have to worry about the HOS anymore.

I was "just thinking" last week how helpful it might be if people like YOU would get involved in the "engineering" of a NEW transportation solution for this country! Those who are currently tasked with it, have NO IDEA what they are doing, and those of us/YOU who MIGHT..... are not involved! The DOT and FMCSA are being led by people who have NO IDEA what they are doing. Your country needs YOU... Kaycee! UNTIL "we" get invovled in the solution... "we" are just part of the problem!

I am still a working "stiff." I don't have TIME to write my representatives. I don't have TIME to offer "input" into the decisions that are being made.... but PATT and others sure seem to! We can't get every "active" driver to UNITE and strike, but maybe you RETIRED truckers could "congregate" on some website somewhere, and start PETITIONING our government on behalf of those of us who struggle on!

Again I think your judgment is being affected because of your team status.

I copied this so I can answer it specifically. You may WELL be right! This has NOT escaped me! I think of it OFTEN when answering posts here. I cannot TRULY answer all things for all drivers, because I DO have a different experience and outlook. But, I DO remind myself of this at times... and I APPRECIATE you pointing it out again to me! Please feel FREE to remind me whenever my opinions become too "skewed" by my perspective! The LAST thing I want to do is give bad advice because I don't KNOW what I'm talking about!

kc0iv

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:00 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evinrude
I hope they change from 34 hrs to 48hrs. More time off is needed.
Ridiculous statement. Have you ever sat in the back of a truck for 34hrs and felt that you needed MORE rest.

So what you are saying is that if I stop driving at 10pm on any given day and need a reset, I should then start driving 48 hrs later at 10pm after having and entire day off, then getting a good nights sleep and wake up at my usual 6am, sit around all day doing nothing(because I'm stuck in some lousy truck stop or terminal) and then drive all night long. Think B4 you post. You might want to try getting hired by the people that make these rules, you'll fit right in.

[email protected]
Old 07-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evertruckerr
Ridiculous statement. Have you ever sat in the back of a truck for 34hrs and felt that you needed MORE rest.
Good way of getting bed sores. :P

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 07-27-2007, 12:04 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379
Quote:
Quote:
Good way of getting bed sores. :P
The Doctor gave me a cream for that, seems to be working well

[email protected]
Old 07-27-2007, 04:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
So what you are saying is that if I stop driving at 10pm on any given day and need a reset, I should then start driving 48 hrs later at 10pm after having and entire day off, then getting a good nights sleep and wake up at my usual 6am, sit around all day doing nothing(because I'm stuck in some lousy truck stop or terminal) and then drive all night long.
You've pretty much summed up my view on the entire HOS issue, including the 70 hour rule. What does whatever I did eight days ago have to do with how tired I am right now?

I run into this on a fairly regular basis. Run my ass off for a few days, have a few typical eight hour days, have a couple of short days on account of the 70 hour rule, run out of hours, sit around all day, then at midnight on day nine I'm magically rested again.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 07-27-2007, 06:28 PM

Personally, I liked the original rules that had been around for what 50-60 years, but I like the restart deal, I wish it was a 24hr restart not 34hrs, and CAN the 14 hr clock ,< B.S . I guess if I had to team drive, after a 20 year career such as Hobo stated ,I'd have to quit and find another line of work. I wish P.A.T.T. and all these other busy bodied lobyists would just go away, their cause was noble,but then it went to their head and started a bunch of B.S. without doing any research of the right kind. Never tell or ask anyone to do something that you would not do yourself. They should have done some research with some people that REALLY know this industry before trying to change it. Maybe in my freetime I'll go and change the FAA and some other things I know nothing more about than just observing from where I sit.
P.S. If you have any self respect dont go flying after I start changing things, could be dangerous :shock: just my 2 lincolns.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Board Regular

I'm still pretty much a rookie driver, but losing the 34 hour restart will be the suck since as it is I get a clean slate on the weekends. Only change I'd like to see to the HOS is 14 hour rule go to a 16 hour rule. Who needs 10 hours off to sit at a hotel?