User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Twilight Flyer wrote

Quote:
The first one is preventable all the way.
It truly wasn't, you had to be there

Quote:
Still, truck driving isn't the only job out there. If you are truly in financial trouble, get a non-driving job and get on your feet. Look to driving later on down the line. You act like it's all or nothing when in reality, you simply need to shift your focus.
I need a certain income to get the bank to re-do our mortgage. I have until October (the date of the sheriff's sale) to find it. I have no college degree and was fired from my last job because I contracted a brain tumor...no kidding! At 48 years of age, I am "overqualified" (re: too old) for anything professional. It's not a matter of a job, it's THE job that pays enough to save our home. "Would you mind lifting your feet so I can mop"
"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." --explaining his troubles winning over some working-class voters - BARACK OBAMA
Old 07-17-2007, 08:53 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

That first accident was preventable. Minor, yes. But tearing a patch of grass was preventable. Even if the circumstances were such that you tore the grass to avoid the cars, it's still preventable.

As far as getting fired for getting a brain tumor, how would you not have a legal avenue to go after that company? Unlawful firing and they would have to rehire you and pay you back pay, plus interest and damages.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
As far as getting fired for getting a brain tumor, how would you not have a legal avenue to go after that company? Unlawful firing and they would have to rehire you and pay you back pay, plus interest and damages.
You would think but, I was a warehouse supervisor and it was their busy season coming up. I presented my case to a judge who ruled I was fired for cause, step down, next case! Were getting off track now. I have a question for you Twilight. Even though Heartland is not a "training company", in your professional opinion, do you think I could re-apply at a "training company" and begin anew? Refresher, trainer, the whole 9 yards. That is how desperate I am, willing to do anything as long as it's not illegal or immoral.
"It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." --explaining his troubles winning over some working-class voters - BARACK OBAMA
Old 07-17-2007, 09:10 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

I would imagine you could probably get on with one of the big training companies; Swift, Schneider, Werner, etc. That would be my guess, but then again, I'm on the outside of that since we don't train over here. I can only guess at what their policies are.

That said, I'll also have to say that first year isn't going to make you a lot of money and if you're in a situation where you need to be making "X" amount of money by October, I have doubts that trucking is going to do it for you. Anything you can make in that first year driving a truck, you ought to be able to make in most other non-driving jobs with half the work.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:24 PM

I went though sort of the same thing as you. I started out with Us Express and I quit after 1 month. Then I worked a local job for 5 months or so and was looking for a better driving job and I applied here to a small otr/local company. After my interview they called Us Express and Us Express told them I abandoned the truck. While I was with US Express I was only training and did not have my own truck so how could I abandon a truck? The company hired me anyway and I have been here for 3 or so months with no real issues. I backed into a mailbox once and that was it. I did not have to call saftey or anything just tell my boss and move on. If I were you I would try a smaller local company. I like it much better than the larger ones, they get me home every weekend, at least 3500miles a week. Plus they might not look to deep into your past or even check your DAC. Good luck
Old 07-23-2007, 02:13 PM

THIS guy can get a job and I can't! Please explain how this is possible

Quote:
I had a rollover in September 2003 and have either contacted or have been contacted by almost all the trucking companies in the last 10 months. Covenant has been the most recent and at this point I need to get back out on the road. Their policy on rollovers and prior experience seem to fit my needs. I just wanted some feedback from the drivers are with them now or have been in the past.. I'm thinking about going back in September after my kids get back to school.
Thanks Brother Truckers Cool