User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 02:44 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Taylor University Accident

As many asked me to wait for the outcome of the "Taylor University Accident" situation here is the latest updated article. I can't comment much except for the fact he knows he is in trouble if he lets it go to trial as the juror's will give him the maximum. He is pleading guilty to hopefully get lesser than the maximum. I can't blame him and actually I feel for the guy. I am sure he needed to pay an extra bill or whatever the case may be and he ran his load to get it there to get the next and so on. I do want drivers to understand the consequences (sp?) this may cause though. Logging legal is very important!
Now on a lighter note, have a great night and be safe

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6579013
Old 05-30-2007, 07:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn
Logging legal is very important!
Running legal and logging it like you do it is the only way to go.

You can log legal all day long, but if it is all a lie then you are still in deep doo-doo if something happens.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Taylor University Accident

Quote:
As many asked me to wait for the outcome of the "Taylor University Accident" situation here is the latest updated article. I can't comment much except for the fact he knows he is in trouble if he lets it go to trial as the juror's will give him the maximum. He is pleading guilty to hopefully get lesser than the maximum. I can't blame him and actually I feel for the guy. I am sure he needed to pay an extra bill or whatever the case may be and he ran his load to get it there to get the next and so on. I do want drivers to understand the consequences (sp?) this may cause though. Logging legal is very important!

Dawn don't you ever read the article you post? Had you read the article you would of noticed:
Quote:
If the case had gone to trial and Spencer was convicted, he would have faced a much stiffer penalty. The maximum sentence in that scenario was 72 years. The plea reduces prison time to no more than 24 years.

Secondly, the jury doesn't set the penalty.

kc0iv
Old 05-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:

Dawn don't you ever read the article you post? Had you read the article you would of noticed:
Quote:
If the case had gone to trial and Spencer was convicted, he would have faced a much stiffer penalty. The maximum sentence in that scenario was 72 years. The plea reduces prison time to no more than 24 years.

I really don't get what you are getting at here???? Yeah I read it??? Why did you post something everyone can read?? I didn't say I don't know what his maximum would be or minimum, they can read that in the article.

Secondly, the jury doesn't set the penalty.

Yeah I know they find them guilty or not guilty. They would have found him guilty which he then would have served more time. Worded wrong yeah I see, but the point is having the trial would have caused him more years and he knows the jury would have found him guilty in this situation. Then again he could have taken that chance (not).

kc0iv
I thought was peacfull here now, I should have known better :lol:
Old 05-31-2007, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

Investigators say Spencer had driven at least nine hours more than was allowed under federal regulations when he fell asleep at the wheel, causing that crash.

My opinion, not that it matters though...... The ass deserves to be in prison for LIFE! If he would have followed the law like he is supposed to... five family's wouldn't have had to bury a loved one.

I'm sure he is a nice guy and was trying to just make a dollar like every other driver but his mistake cost 5 people their life. I have been there and done the same thing and I was lucky nothing like that happened. No different than driving drunk.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Dawn my point is people break the rules everyday and most of the time nothing happens. In some cases things do go wrong and they get caught. Thankfully in most cases it is nothing more than a fine and in a very few cases people get hurt or killed. In this case 5 people lost their lives.

Every driver I have known have driven illegal. Pushed the pencil to meet a tight schedule. I feel quite sure every driver that drives for your company has do the same at one time or another. Why do you think the D.O.T. call a logbook a comic book? They know driver push the pencil to make it read what D.O.T. and the company will accept.

You think you know what is going on but you really don't have a clue. You set behind your little desk -- scan in log sheets -- and tell drivers when they make a mistake. How many times have you went over to dispatch and followed the complete run of one of these "mistakes" and found that little mistake was cause because the driver was given a delivery schedule that was just to tight to meet? Sure the right thing to do would have been for the driver to refuse the delivery. But we all know the customer comes first. A few late deliveries and the driver is looking for a new job. Yet you come in here a preaching don't drive illegal. Why don't you take a month and ride with a driver and find out what the real world is like. I know one major truck-line were the CEO take a couple of week off every year (unknown to the customers and the people in dispatch) and finds out what really going on. He consistently finds the deliveries can not be made in the schedule times.

If you had been around before the Just-In-Time freight came into being drivers had time to make deliveries. Now everyone wants it deliver NOW. You want to stop illegal logging convince your company to pay drivers by the hour. No more pay by the mile. And while you are at it if you can't convince them to pay by the hour then at least pay the driver hub miles. Find out just how many miles a driver really drives.

Yes Dawn I and many others are tired of preaching -- Log legal -- Drive legal. As the old saying goes -- don't complain until you have walked in someone else's moccasin.

kc0iv
Old 06-01-2007, 01:17 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Dawn my point is people break the rules everyday and most of the time nothing happens. In some cases things do go wrong and they get caught. Thankfully in most cases it is nothing more than a fine and in a very few cases people get hurt or killed. In this case 5 people lost their lives.

Every driver I have known have driven illegal. Pushed the pencil to meet a tight schedule. I feel quite sure every driver that drives for your company has do the same at one time or another. Why do you think the D.O.T. call a logbook a comic book? They know driver push the pencil to make it read what D.O.T. and the company will accept.

You think you know what is going on but you really don't have a clue. You set behind your little desk -- scan in log sheets -- and tell drivers when they make a mistake. How many times have you went over to dispatch and followed the complete run of one of these "mistakes" and found that little mistake was cause because the driver was given a delivery schedule that was just to tight to meet? Sure the right thing to do would have been for the driver to refuse the delivery. But we all know the customer comes first. A few late deliveries and the driver is looking for a new job. Yet you come in here a preaching don't drive illegal. Why don't you take a month and ride with a driver and find out what the real world is like. I know one major truck-line were the CEO take a couple of week off every year (unknown to the customers and the people in dispatch) and finds out what really going on. He consistently finds the deliveries can not be made in the schedule times.

If you had been around before the Just-In-Time freight came into being drivers had time to make deliveries. Now everyone wants it deliver NOW. You want to stop illegal logging convince your company to pay drivers by the hour. No more pay by the mile. And while you are at it if you can't convince them to pay by the hour then at least pay the driver hub miles. Find out just how many miles a driver really drives.

Yes Dawn I and many others are tired of preaching -- Log legal -- Drive legal. As the old saying goes -- don't complain until you have walked in someone else's moccasin.

kc0iv
I am not wasting my time on the sarcasim! I don't scan logs, sorry the drivers scan them for me :lol:

I do know what drivers go through and I don't need to drive a truck to understand! I know my drivers (and yes Rev and anyone else the drivers that work for my company are "my drivers", ask Dan Baker what I should feel, He would say I am a great hearted person for calling drivers "my drivers") and I stand up for them when needed! So if the driver would only call the log department and ask for help or let us know what is going on , WE CAN HELP! At least I practice that in my department :wink:

I will continue to preach logging legal until the day I DIE! Why to get it through to drivers why you should not! If you choose to run illegal I really do not care, not my problem unless you work for my company!
I am here for the new drivers who are not being taught what can happen to them! I THOUGHT THAT'S WHAT THE BOARD WAS FOR?????????????????

If you run legal, log legal you will stay out of any bad situation that may come your way if in an accident (unless of course you are drinking, doing drugs etc).

18-19 years in this buisness I think I have a clue, and maybe you don't! :roll:

If it hasn't happen to you, GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope it doesn't happen to you, but if it does you should only respect everyone on the board and let them know how stubborn those of you who chose to run illegal and bad happened to you due to it!
Old 06-01-2007, 02:26 AM
Board Regular