User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 11:25 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Who's correct?

My dad and I were chatting about stuff and I mentioned how much I miss driving. Over 18 months now behind a desk... :cry: He said he'd buy buy me a couple trucks if he had the money. I quickly hopped on the web and found 2 beautiful models in Fontana.

Now, here's the question. He says he can (without a CDL or even air brake endorsement) can drive this 10 wheeler back to Oregon without concern of tickets. He drove cherries and Christmas trees in Michigan back in the early 70's so actually knows how to drive one. He just isn't licensed.

I say no way because regardless of ownership, at least a class B + air brake is needed to drive this vehicle.

He refuses to believe me.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Board Icon

Nope - a CDL is required.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Who's correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
I say no way because regardless of ownership, at least a class B + air brake is needed to drive this vehicle.
You're right on general principals, but you might be able to drive it legally if you put a tag on it as an RV. RV guys get away with everything.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:58 AM
Board Regular

Now those are my kind of trucks. Only Volvo for me! Times have changed Colin since your Dad last drove. Regs are much tighter now on who can drive what and for what reasons. I'd have to agree with Rev and say you need a CDL. Let us know what you find out for sure. Drive safe everyone.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:00 AM
Senior Board Member

You are correct Colin. You would need at least a Class B with air breaks to drive one bobtail. Toss a trailer on it and it goes to a Class A.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
Quote:
You're right on general principals, but you might be able to drive it legally if you put a tag on it as an RV. RV guys get away with everything.
I have to agree with silvan.

If you license it as a RV then some states require special license while others don't. See: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

If on the other hand it does not have a RV license the at least a class 'B' with air brakes would be required.

kc0iv
Old 04-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Quote:
I have to agree with silvan.

If you license it as a RV then some states require special license while others don't. See: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

If on the other hand it does not have a RV license the at least a class 'B' with air brakes would be required.

kc0iv
That is a really great idea - get it licensed as an RV, just to drive it home from the lot. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 04-04-2007, 09:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Not any more they don't. Just a week or so ago...my neighbor who has a Class A motorhome... (big one) was telling me that alot of RV owners are upset because one heckuva lot of states are now requiring RV owners to have an appropriate license to drive their RV's. He showed me his FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) book that they send every year to their members....and it had a full list of each state in the union and their license requirements....and apparently word is getting around that they are going to start "enforcing" these changes. Many will need a Class B with airbrakes, or they will have to park it. Some will only need Class C because of the lighter weights of some of the RV's

Been trying to find a link....but haven't yet, but here is an example of the stuff that goes on at RV.net regarding this issue....and its quite interesting, and one of the poster's references the FMCA book.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...263/page/2.cfm

I would venture to say....that if one were to purchase a tractor in CA and then drive it....they had best have a CLass B with airbrakes.... I'm pretty sure that the CHP/DOT would have a problem with a Class E licensed driver driving a "semi tractor"....

Registering the vehicle as an RV is fine, but then changing it to a CMV could start off a chain of events...possibly. The issue would be over road use/fuel taxes etc....for all the miles it had moved. I honestly don't know, because we're talking about "California" :shock: 8)

There's 9 pages of "heavy debate" on the subject....so as an aside... I can safely say "we're not the only ones"!! 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Been trying to find a link....but haven't yet, but here is an example of the stuff that goes on at RV.net regarding this issue....and its quite interesting, and one of the poster's references the FMCA book.
SkywalkerIf you had read my post above you would have seen the link to the rules for all 50 states and D.C.

kc0iv
Old 04-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
SkywalkerIf you had read my post above you would have seen the link to the rules for all 50 states and D.C.

kc0iv
:shock: Whooops!! Sorry.... I've been fighting with a flu bug or something for the past week....not totally with it.. :? I just seemed to miss it..... :?

I checked the link, and thank you for it. Bookmarked it. But there seems to be some differences between what they have posted....and what the FMCA had in their book. I was hoping to find a link to their list but haven't been able to. If I ever find it...I'll post it. Then again, maybe the differences I see are just in how the information is listed. Thanks again!!

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.