LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 01:43 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Who's correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
I say no way because regardless of ownership, at least a class B + air brake is needed to drive this vehicle.

He refuses to believe me.
Ownership is irrelevant. ANYONE can own a truck you dont even have to have a drivers license. But to drive that truck, you would need at the least a CDL-B with Airbrake.

Some states used to have different classes of non-commercial drivers licenses, I don't know if they still do. In those cases, one could get a non-CDL class B with Airbrake and drive that tractor for personal, non-revenue use only. They would also have to get an RV tag to avoid having to pay fuel tax, etc. for their non-revenue run.

Another way around the registration issue would be to have Dealer tags. Since they are not registered to any particular vehicle (in most places) but instead to the owner, there would not be an issue when it came time tio register the truck to do business.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:08 AM
Board Regular

In Missouri you used to be able to drive in state without a cdl as long as you were hauling your own stuff but the insurance companies usually required a CDL to be insured so that I am sure is gone with the wind.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:37 PM

the cost for him to go and get a CDL is a lot less than any 1 ticket and towing expence would be !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2007, 06:01 PM
Default driving

As long as he is`nt stopped by a state trouper.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
I say no way because regardless of ownership, at least a class B + air brake is needed to drive this vehicle.
You're right on general principals, but you might be able to drive it legally if you put a tag on it as an RV. RV guys get away with everything.
Not any more they don't. Just a week or so ago...my neighbor who has a Class A motorhome... (big one) was telling me that alot of RV owners are upset because one heckuva lot of states are now requiring RV owners to have an appropriate license to drive their RV's. He showed me his FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) book that they send every year to their members....and it had a full list of each state in the union and their license requirements....and apparently word is getting around that they are going to start "enforcing" these changes. Many will need a Class B with airbrakes, or they will have to park it. Some will only need Class C because of the lighter weights of some of the RV's

Been trying to find a link....but haven't yet, but here is an example of the stuff that goes on at RV.net regarding this issue....and its quite interesting, and one of the poster's references the FMCA book.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...263/page/2.cfm

I would venture to say....that if one were to purchase a tractor in CA and then drive it....they had best have a CLass B with airbrakes.... I'm pretty sure that the CHP/DOT would have a problem with a Class E licensed driver driving a "semi tractor"....

Registering the vehicle as an RV is fine, but then changing it to a CMV could start off a chain of events...possibly. The issue would be over road use/fuel taxes etc....for all the miles it had moved. I honestly don't know, because we're talking about "California" :shock: 8)

There's 9 pages of "heavy debate" on the subject....so as an aside... I can safely say "we're not the only ones"!! 8)
did you happen to notice in the book if there is a law reguiring rv's to drive in the middle lane and stay at least 10 mph under the speed limit?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog
did you happen to notice in the book if there is a law reguiring rv's to drive in the middle lane and stay at least 10 mph under the speed limit?
:lol: :lol: Didn't see anything like that....but it sure seems like an awful lot of them are in the habit of doing it anyway.... :evil: :lol: :lol:

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.