User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564

I don't mean to be blunt with someone asking for help. However, drivers really should have a strong grasp for HOS and logging BEFORE they start driving. They should have learned this at CDL school, company training or OTR training/mentor. You should not leave the terminal on your first dispatch until you know for sure how to log properly. How is it that someone can go through the entire training process and still not have a grasp at the one thing DOT is always checking for?

AMEN Brother!!! I have been saying this all along!

And last but not least call YOUR safety manager, or someone equivalent to that, to get reliable info. Unless that person is Dawn. Then you're :dung: out of luck!

Well.... actually, when I first started, right out of school, I had to correct both people in my safety department concerning the new HOS rules. I have also found SEVERAL posts on this and other sites by safety managers that misquote the regs.... especially concerning the 14 hour "window" and I had to "teach" my trainer about the new rules, because he was trying to "teach" me the OLD way of logging.

It seems that MANY drivers who operated under the old rules, have a harder time grasping the NEW ones. And I don't trust ANY safety/log manager! No offense, but most of them are just "average" people. They make mistakes. And as I've often said....

Average people will get you KILLED/ticketed every time!

I'm off the soapbox.

Good! It was getting crowded up here! :lol: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo
Oh.... and just for the record, the 100 "airmile" statute, for those who may drive locally, actually can be 115 "road miles."
Your statement isn't really correct. It would only be true if the driver drove in a straight line. A driver could drive hundreds of miles and still stay with in the 100 air miles radius. That is why the the statute defines it as "100 air-mile radius". I've been in several areas where you can drive 200 miles and not be outside 100 mile radius.

kc0iv
Old 03-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:
Oh.... and just for the record, the 100 "airmile" statute, for those who may drive locally, actually can be 115 "road miles."
Your statement isn't really correct. It would only be true if the driver drove in a straight line. A driver could drive hundreds of miles and still stay with in the 100 air miles radius. That is why the the statute defines it as "100 air-mile radius". I've been in several areas where you can drive 200 miles and not be outside 100 mile radius.

kc0iv
Hmmm.... I think you MUST be correct! Thanks for keeping me from giving bad advice! I "reworded" the reg to say "road miles" when it actually stated "STATUTE miles."

Quote:
C-2. What is an "air-mile"?

The term "air-mile" is internationally defined as a "nautical mile" which is equivalent to 6,076 feet. Thus, the 100 air-miles are equivalent to 115.08 statute miles, and 150 air-miles are equivalent to 172.6 statute miles.
Obviously, a person working shorthaul could drive more than 115 miles/day! What was I thinking?? That's only about 1 hr 15 mins! :lol:

I should learn to stay away from shorthaul discussions, as I have only glanced at the regs that don't apply to me!

So, if you drive shorthaul, you can stay within a radius of 115.08 STATUTE miles! And drive all the miles you want to within 12 hours.

I just thought someone might need that other 15 miles someday! :wink:

I guess if you want to know whether a town is outside the limits, you have to go back and rent an airplane and fly there first! :lol: Jeez.... what kind of regulatory agency would intentionally confuse truckers by using AIR miles anyway??? :shock: :lol:

Never mind!!! :wink:

See??? I'm just as "average" as the next guy! I could've gotten someone KILT!!! :lol:

[/quote]

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0iv
Quote:

kc0iv
Hmmm.... I think you MUST be correct! Thanks for keeping me from giving bad advice! I "reworded" the reg to say "road miles" when it actually stated "STATUTE miles."

Quote:
C-2. What is an "air-mile"?

The term "air-mile" is internationally defined as a "nautical mile" which is equivalent to 6,076 feet. Thus, the 100 air-miles are equivalent to 115.08 statute miles, and 150 air-miles are equivalent to 172.6 statute miles.
Obviously, a person working shorthaul could drive more than 115 miles/day! What was I thinking?? That's only about 1 hr 15 mins! :lol:

I should learn to stay away from shorthaul discussions, as I have only glanced at the regs that don't apply to me!

So, if you drive shorthaul, you can stay within a radius of 115.08 STATUTE miles! And drive all the miles you want to within 12 hours.

I just thought someone might need that other 15 miles someday! :wink:

I guess if you want to know whether a town is outside the limits, you have to go back and rent an airplane and fly there first! :lol: Jeez.... what kind of regulatory agency would intentionally confuse truckers by using AIR miles anyway??? :shock: :lol:

Never mind!!! :wink:

See??? I'm just as "average" as the next guy! I could've gotten someone KILT!!! :lol:

[/quote]

Makes perfect sense to me.

Take a map.

Draw a circle with a radius of 100 nm (115 statute miles) from your starting location.

Anything inside the circle you can drive in.

That is an area of over 2596 square miles. About the area of the state Rhode Island.

Now I do wonder why they used "nautical mile" instead of "statute miles". I would guess since they also writes rules for aircraft and boats may have something to do with it.

However I like the idea of flying there first. Seeing I'm a license pilot.

kc0iv