User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Could my mental history disqualify me from truck driving?

Hello, I have been thinking about a possible career in trucking driving. There are some things though that I fear would disqualify me right from the start and I was wondering if I could get some of your opinions. First I should give you an idea of my circumstances. I have been on social security disability for a little over 6 years. I'm only 28. I'm on disability because of an anxiety disorder, specifically social anxiety among other less debilitating things such as moderate depression. I'm at a point in my life that I feel I have to take my life back but it's not as easy as it would seem on the surface. I feel I can cope with a job which entails a task which must be completed with as little supervision as possible and with a moderate or average amount of social interaction. To be honest the less interaction there is the happier I would likely be. I'm
an extremely hard worker and physically in excellent shape so these things would not be a hindrance for me.

Don't get me wrong, I am not some raving lunatic that is one step away from a mental melt down, in fact it's just the opposite. I am feeling a lot better about my ability to function normally and I want to to do something with my life but I cannot support myself without a good paying stable job. I guess my question is is it possible for someone that has been on disability for as many years as I have to obtain a CDL and even if that is possible would I have a difficult time in finding an employer that would hire someone like me? I currently take no medications. I can socialize just fine with people but I do lack in the bull sh!ting department. I've just never been the type of guy to ramble on and on about stuff but I'm not a complete stick in the mud either.

Anyway, my states rules (Washington state) states that you must disclose the fact that you have been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution. I have been committed to a mental institution but this was many many years ago when I was 18 or so. It involved a suicide attempt. So my biggest question or fear is would this fact disqualify me from driving trucks? I appreciate all and any advice you can impart. Thanks
Old 03-08-2007, 01:25 AM
Senior Board Member

As far as the social anxiety part, a driving job would be great for you, as the only time you'll actually be near other people is when you stop at the shipper/receiver and at truck stops.

The problem would probably be getting hired by a company. Best bet for you would be to start calling companies and ask the recruiters. Be completely up front with them about the situation and go from there. Don't call 1 or 2, call 10-15 companies (companies that provide training would probably be your best bet).

I myself suffer from mild social anxiety and depression. Before I started driving I was on Paxil, which helped some, but not enough. Now I spend just enough time at home (where I'm around people) that it's working out good. If I take any extended time off (4-5 days) I started getting 'twitchy' and really want to get back into the truck.

BOL
Old 03-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Senior Board Member

First off, Maliki and Oppland, allow me to extend my commendations to both of you. As someone who has had to deal with severe depression and sleep disorders, (I do still take Anti-Deppresants!!) It is always good to hear people speak out. BTW, I'm doing fine these days, except that the Flu virus that is going around hit me early this A.M.; I was supposed to be gone today, but life happened!!

It saddens me that our society is willing to pay the high price for mental disorders, but places so little emphasis upon treatment and mental health!!

Oppland, aside from the legal issues of driving a big truck while on certain meds, and the issues of insurability, my concerns revolve around the inherant stress levels and the erratic schedules that ore often involved with OTR driving, and your suitability as far as having to deal with these issues.

Is this a career field for you to consider?? It may be, or it may not be; I would ask that you consider these matters very carefully before you make a decision.

BOL2U, and Good on both of you!!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:48 AM
Rookie

Thank you for that great advice Malaki86. It will be difficult to tell my sob story to a bunch of potential employers but I see no other way around it as I cannot explain my way around the obvious gap in my employment history. I'm really glad to hear it worked out for you and you enjoy it. You made my day! Take it easy.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:09 AM
Rookie

Useless, thanks. I have thought about what you are saying and my hat goes off to you for understanding something most people don't know about and that is the difficulty and stigma people face when associated with any type of mental illness.

All mental illnesses are not the same. Two people could share the same mental illness but have completely different life challenges. My main challenge right now is trying to become self sufficient. I don't want to be on social security because I am neither social nor secure. I cannot live on what I get through social security. Don't get me wrong, I am so thankful for what
my government has done for me but this is no life for anyone to live. Some people aren't aware of the challenges people face when they try to become self sufficient and get off social security. There is always a risk that you find you cannot handle working as you thought you might have been able to but in trying to go back to work it poses a risk that social security may review your case and could find you "able" to work by social securitie's definition. If not in a full time capacity at least in a minimal capacity environment - meaning if you can say your ABC's or count backwards to five then you must be "fully employable." So you could end up unable to work in reality (after all counting and reciting my ABC's has never been my problem) and also be kicked off social security, then what? That's my biggest fear. I rely on a check from the government each month to meet my basic needs and to tell you the truth I don't feel very good about it but it's either that or be homeless.

If I can get a good job I am confident with my work ethic that I can not only support myself but be able to support my family as well (no wife or children but I do want to help my mother out). As it stands now I feel like I am more of a hindrance than of help to my family.

You were saying, about the stresses involved in driving trucks. I cannot really gage what my ability will be in dealing with the stress because I haven't really dealt with people in almost 7 years. I want to believe I can deal with it and I am going to try my damnedest. And if I fail I'm going to just have to try harder. I'm at a point were I realize I have to change otherwise I am going to end up regretting my entire life.

Thank you for your understanding, kindness and understanding is the sign of a true man.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:44 AM

Oppland, I don't know how your state works, but here in Indiana if you are on social security disability you can go through vocational rehabilitation to pay for your CDL schooling.

Since you have no work history for the past several years you can get a letter from social security showing the dates you were disabled which would help explain your lack of employment history.

It would also be a good idea to get reference letters from any friends, neighbors etc. that you may have done odd jobs for.

Once you get that far and can find a company willing to give you a shot I think social security has a trial program where you can work for 9 months and still draw your full disability benefits to see if you can handle the job.
If your still working and earning $900 or more per month at the end of that 9 months your disability benefits will stop, however you have an additional 36 months that if for whatever reason you cant continue to work you can pick back up your disability benefits without having to reapply.
So basically once you start working you'd have 3 years and 9 months to see if you can handle driving a truck or any other job for that matter.
I'm pretty sure this program is nationwide, but I'd check with your local social security office just to make sure.

One last thing to consider is if you have trouble finding a regular trucking company willing to give you a shot you might wanna check into driving for an owner operator leased to an expedited carrier like FedEx Custom Critical , PantherII, etc. You'd most likely be driving a cargo van or 22'-24' straight truck(not much money in vans, I'd recommend straight truck if you go this route).
The downside is you'd be considered a subcontractor which means no benefits and you'd be responsible for taking out your own taxes.
I know 2 guys that were on disability and are now working for a FedEx CC fleet owner and seem to be pretty happy.

Anyway I hope some of my post may of been some help to you,

good luck
Old 03-08-2007, 05:54 AM
Rookie

Gorrillasnot, you're right. There's a program piloted by Social Security which is called the Ticket to Work program. I was under the wrong impression that when you obtain full employment or any employment Social Security would review your case and most likely stop benefits.

I don't mind cessation of benefits as long as I know I'm going to be able to make it on my own. I will research all of this in depth before I dive in head first of course.

Thank you to everyone, you're a great bunch of people.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:19 AM
Board Regular

oppland. i'm not sure the depth of your disability i suffered from social anxiety when i was in my teens and early 20's. bear in mind that you may really want to think this through, that while it is a lonely job its not because your not around people. often you are around a lot of people that you don't know and situations that are constantly new to you. your constantly dealing with shippers and receivers and you seldom know where to go or who to talk to etc. your also performing difficult tasks often with people watching you. (backing parking etc etc.) i commend you for wanting change your life and wish you luck just be prepared to not be as alone as you may think.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Oppland!!

Once again, I want to commend you, not only for your determination to conquer this disorder, but also for the manner in which you articulated your question.

Being that I am a BSN (Bachelor of Science; Nursing) and considering the fact that I have personal experience in dealing with depression and emotional disorders, I once received a P.M. from a lady asking me:

"Could I get a CDL and drive a truck with emotional disorders??"

My reply was:

"It isn't impossible, but you would be far better off getting your CDL, and driving a truck that is emotionaly balanced, and in a good state of mental AND mechanical health!!"
Old 03-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Board Regular