User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Regarding the Pre-Trip and Post-Trip Inspections, the issue is not strictly a regulatory matter. effective and thorough inspections also serve as a tool to ensure not only compliance and safety, but also serve as an effective tool to keep you rolling, and avoid breakdowns as well.

Pre-Trip Inspection:
It would seem natural to me, and I sincerely hope that it would seem natural to you, to ensure that your T/T is properly prepared to roll , with everything working as it should be. if something is wrong, then you want it fixed before you start rolling.

Post-Trip Inspection:
Before you shut down, would it not make sense to identify anything that is not working properly, and have it tended to before you head out, rather than facing a delay to address a problem before you can start driving again??

Both Pre-Trip, and Post-Trip Inspections should serve as a valuable tools to allow you to operate more safely, and more efficiently. Use them as tools.

I would always make note of whatever repairs or adjustments were needed, record my tire pressure, and how many lbs. of air I added to a tire when needed, as well as type and quantity of fluids I added. That way, if I ever got pulled behind a chicken house for an inspection, I could effectively demonstrate that I had, in fact, conducted a true inspection, as opposed to perfunctorily marking checks on a check list.

Doing that saved me from having to worry so much about regulatory compliance issues.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Board Regular

Thanks Useless, I do a inspection of my Truck and Trailer prior to starting out, and at the end of the day. Sometimes when I am waiting to get loaded I do the minor things of inspection and have caught a few items doing this.

I bought a 1985 FLC, and although it has been taken good care of, just the fact that it is 21 years old is enough to make me pay close attention to it.

It also serves me well to document anything wrong with the Truck in case of an accident.

The main question I was wanting to know is which one to write on the inspection sheet as a Pre or Post Trip, and this has been answered.

I do appreciate the advice and info though, as one can never learn enough in life.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Senior Board Member

I drafted a checklist on my computer, and used it for both Pre-Trip and Post-Trip Inspections. I completed the company inspection form and indicated that it was a Post Trip inspection; can't quote any statutes here, I just checked with our Safety Dept, and asked them what they wanted.

Seems as though most attention is focused upon the Post Trip, although in my mind, they are both equally important!!
Old 01-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless
I drafted a checklist on my computer, and used it for both Pre-Trip and Post-Trip Inspections. I completed the company inspection form and indicated that it was a Post Trip inspection; can't quote any statutes here, I just checked with our Safety Dept, and asked them what they wanted.

Seems as though most attention is focused upon the Post Trip, although in my mind, they are both equally important!!
Check
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ction_toc=1953

kc0iv
Old 01-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rick
Thanks Everyone this is what I thought also, that the Pre-Trip would be the longest one, and post trip shorter.

I have ordered the FMSCA Book, as could not find one at the Truck Stops where I travel. I am looking forward to getting this book and getting a better understanding of everything.

Thank You Everyone for the great advice that you have gave me. I really appreciate it very much.

Does anyone know where I could find the FMSCA on line, as well as a on line place that explains this book?
As for the OVERALL regs concerning CMV's, start HERE:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...section_type=A

It sounds like you may be an O/O as WELL as driving shorthaul. I'm not terribly familiar with either. You may find MORE help from O/O's on their forum on this message board. Shorthaul provisions will be found within the link I gave you.

I'm not familiar with the "package" you got, nor the inspection sheets. I guess my company does things differently. I will say THIS: I don't care what ANYONE says, the PRE-TRIP is the most important from a SAFETY standpoint! If you don't fill out a log, you don't have the box that you check for pre and post trip inspections, or the info on the back of the logsheet. Your situation is very different from most of ours!

I beleive the biggest failing of the fmcsa and it's regulations is their "supposition" that ALL CMV's are driven by company drivers with "garages" to handle their repairs. Followed immediately by their misunderstanding of the HOURS that many of us work.

Edit: Actually, the biggest failing is their "tailoring" of their rules around SOLO drivers.... as if there were no TEAMS!

The fact that you have been "directed" to find a drug testing "consortium" leads me to believe you are not a company driver.

I suggest you also check out the OOIDA website for more info that applies to you. I don't have the link handy. Google it.

More info on your situation would be helpful. In the absence of that, I HOPE we have been helpful.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Board Regular

Seems that most use this system nowadays :lol:

Pre trip- "break for a radio check"

Post trip- "I ain't got no panties on"
Old 01-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Board Regular

Sorry about not putting down my status.

I bought my Truck and Trailer (Hauling Logs) in Oct 06. Prior to that I drove for a company that leased our trucks from Ryder so I never had to log the fuel stops down because all of our fueling was done by Ryder.

I have been a company driver for the past 8 years, and got spoiled as far as a log book and logging our fuel stops since we didn't have to do them.

I have always done a Pre-Trip and annotated it, but never annotated the Post Trip. Went through 8 DOT Roadside inspections during the 8 years as a company driver with no write ups, so I thought I was doing everything right.

Then I decided to become an O/O, and have been finding out there is a new different world out there. The reason for the questions is the Alabama DOT told me that I had to have proof in writing of every time I did a Post Trip inspection.

The reason for this is in case I have an accident, this will be one of the first things the DOT will ask for, and if I am took to court, that without proof of:

a. Post Trip Inspection
b. Vehicle Maintenance Reports

It would be a terrible day for me in court.

So, now I am trying to make sure everything is not just covered, but done correctly. This is the reason for all of the questions that I post on here, and I really do appreciate the advice and suggestions that everyone gives.

It really is great to have this forum with all of the information that I have learned on here.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Time Dweller
Seems that most use this system nowadays :lol:

Pre trip- "break for a radio check"

Post trip- "I ain't got no panties on"
:lol: Funny! In a pedantic sort of way! Yet, redundant! I believe I've seen this post before! Hardly helpful. :roll:

But, HEY!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!! :roll: :lol:

Old 01-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rick
Sorry about not putting down my status.

I bought my Truck and Trailer (Hauling Logs) in Oct 06. Prior to that I drove for a company that leased our trucks from Ryder so I never had to log the fuel stops down because all of our fueling was done by Ryder.

I have been a company driver for the past 8 years, and got spoiled as far as a log book and logging our fuel stops since we didn't have to do them.

I have always done a Pre-Trip and annotated it, but never annotated the Post Trip. Went through 8 DOT Roadside inspections during the 8 years as a company driver with no write ups, so I thought I was doing everything right.

Then I decided to become an O/O, and have been finding out there is a new different world out there. The reason for the questions is the Alabama DOT told me that I had to have proof in writing of every time I did a Post Trip inspection.

The reason for this is in case I have an accident, this will be one of the first things the DOT will ask for, and if I am took to court, that without proof of:

a. Post Trip Inspection
b. Vehicle Maintenance Reports

It would be a terrible day for me in court.

So, now I am trying to make sure everything is not just covered, but done correctly. This is the reason for all of the questions that I post on here, and I really do appreciate the advice and suggestions that everyone gives.

It really is great to have this forum with all of the information that I have learned on here.
Pretty much as I suspected. I wish I could help you more. MOST of the O/O's monitor this forum, but you might still find more help on the O/O forum. Most of us company drivers aren't familiar with the regulations you find yourself under.

I can't help but laugh, though, at the Alabama DOT!!! Kinda like closing the barn doors after the horses are OUT!! :shock:

If you are EVER in an accident (and I hope you aren't!,) when are you gonna DO that POST trip inspection??? :shock: [Dayum!! My steering column is all bent out of shape!!! wonder when THAT happened???]

It seems to ME, that it would be more impressive in court to prove that you inspected the vehicle BEFORE taking it out on the road!

As I said, the regulators seem to have little real appreciation of the workings of our business. If you "slipseat" then, the LAST guy's post trip might be important, as well as maintenance reports. If you drive team, why do BOTH drivers have to inspect? If you drive solo, I realize that things can happen "overnight" but, you SHOULD have a pretty good idea of the condition of your vehicle day and night. For that matter, as a team driver.... I just slept through 10 hours of driving, you think something is gonna break during a 15 minute "switch?"

But, I keep coming back to the idea that, as an O/O (and ANY driver,) you should inspect the vehicle BEFORE you go hurtling down the road at 70 mph!!! What good is a POST trip inspection??? And ESPECIALLY in the case of an accident??? :shock:

But, ONE thing is true, as you said.... you need to find out WHAT is expected of you, and do it correctly!

Best of luck!!!

Old 01-21-2007, 02:43 AM
Board Regular

I agree with you golfhobo, and I am going to do a very good inspection prior to starting my day and annotate it right then just in case I need it one day.

I have lived in Alabama most of my life, and I have seen some weird stuff, but since I became an o/o and dealt with ADOT, it has really gotten strange.