User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

just hop in and out of New Jersey, they have 13'6" overpasses that will clean that off for you

Rick
Old 01-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Board Regular

Good one Sgt_D :lol:
Old 01-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Board Regular

It has always been a law up here, One company I worked for had a device for removing snow, when you drove out the gate it would scrap the snow and ice off the trailer
Old 01-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
I don't think PA could force a driver to clear the snow/ice from the top of their trailer. The reason, simple, the height. Because of the height of the trailer, OSHA requires safety restraints, as well as a chain around the edge to prevent you from falling.
Again they aren't telling you to climb up and clean the roof off, they are just saying if ice/snow flys off your trailer, you will get a ticket. Unless every shipper/ receiver with drop lots and every terminal installs a roof scraper it is a moot point.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Senior Board Member

And because a driver can't be expected to climb on top of the trailer, i have a feeling that any lawyer worth anything would be able to get that ticket dropped.

That'd be the same as writing tickets to someone because for going too slow in a posted area because the truck is governed below that speed.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
And because a driver can't be expected to climb on top of the trailer, i have a feeling that any lawyer worth anything would be able to get that ticket dropped.

That'd be the same as writing tickets to someone because for going too slow in a posted area because the truck is governed below that speed.

how do you prove which truck the ice came from to cause the wreck?
Old 02-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Rookie

Hi board newbie here, can some of you folks post links to the actual laws (in your juristictions), US or Canadian, that actually say that you must do this? I would appreciate any help on this Thanks!. 8)
Old 02-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Board Regular

Thank God I 1, pull flatbeds and 2, don't drive in Pennsylvania!

Seriously though, I personally applaud Penn. for this law. Last week I was in Colorado going down Loveland Pass when another 18 wheeler, exceeding the speed limit by about 30 miles per hour passed me, a large sheet of ice flew off his truck and luckily hit my trailer, not my cab. No damage but it hit hard enough I could feel the truck jerk from the force.

Solution here? Truck washes are going to have to start performing an ice removal service. Since the weather is too bad for them to wash the truck they should be glad to add this service. As for the inconvenience of having to keep your truck safe for other drivers? Priceless!

A driver should not be complaining about this law, basically it is already federal law in that you are not allowed to drive an unsafe truck in the first place!

I know I will get a lot of flack on this one but we all need to take a positive look at this, not just look at the inconvenience it causes us. Any time we get ice, I do have to scrape the top of my flatbed. Granted it is not as high as the vans but I still have to exert a little effort. Unfortunately driving a truck does involve a little effort outside the cab occasionally!

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Everyone Drive Safe!!
Old 02-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655
Thank God I 1, pull flatbeds and 2, don't drive in Pennsylvania!

Seriously though, I personally applaud Penn. for this law. Last week I was in Colorado going down Loveland Pass when another 18 wheeler, exceeding the speed limit by about 30 miles per hour passed me, a large sheet of ice flew off his truck and luckily hit my trailer, not my cab. No damage but it hit hard enough I could feel the truck jerk from the force.

Solution here? Truck washes are going to have to start performing an ice removal service. Since the weather is too bad for them to wash the truck they should be glad to add this service. As for the inconvenience of having to keep your truck safe for other drivers? Priceless!

A driver should not be complaining about this law, basically it is already federal law in that you are not allowed to drive an unsafe truck in the first place!

I know I will get a lot of flack on this one but we all need to take a positive look at this, not just look at the inconvenience it causes us. Any time we get ice, I do have to scrape the top of my flatbed. Granted it is not as high as the vans but I still have to exert a little effort. Unfortunately driving a truck does involve a little effort outside the cab occasionally!

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Everyone Drive Safe!!
good idea, but the nearest truckwash to me is 130 miles, how do I get there? how about if all terminals and drop yards had to put in the overhead scrapers? if the trucking company was help responsible, it would make it worth their while to do it. perhaps truckstops could put them in too , yea right, that will happen