User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 34 Hour Reset Off-duty then sleeper berth?????'s

My mentor and I are unsure exactly how this works... We reset over the weekend and headed out at 9am this morning. She's driving and I'm in the sleeper so I'll be ok to drive back tonight. I just took a 5 hour nap so I'll be more than fine to drive back tonight but I'm wondering how to log this.

Because of being on line 1 for 48 hours (giving me my 34 hour reset + a few hours) then dropping to line 2 .... how many hours do I have to log on line 2 so that my 14 hour clock is legal. I know as soon as I drop to line 3 or 4 that it'll start and I need to make sure I'll have enough hours to get back (I will) but do I need to log line 2 as many hours as I've been in the sleeper, or log it as 8, or 10 hours?

Thanks in advance for the help

Keep the rubber side down on the hard stuff.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Senior Board Member

If you've just had a restart, you shouldn't even have to worry... just log line two at the same time she showed to start her pre-trip, and stay there until your shift comes up. Unless you've gone "on duty", your 14 hr clock isn't in question here until you switch seats.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:20 AM

Thanks Dieselgrl

Keep the rubber side down on the hard stuff.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:05 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndieselgrl
If you've just had a restart, you shouldn't even have to worry... just log line two at the same time she showed to start her pre-trip, and stay there until your shift comes up. Unless you've gone "on duty", your 14 hr clock isn't in question here until you switch seats.
Never mind!!
Old 01-09-2007, 04:09 AM
Board Icon

Just to "clear this up" for the poster and anyone else who might be wondering:

When coming off a 34 hour restart, there is NO requirement as to how many hours MUST be in the sleeper. If you go from being OFF DUTY, into the Sleeper, it is all the same. As the regs state that you must have 10 hours consecutive OFF Duty before starting your 14 hour clock. As long as it is 10 hours or MORE (34 hours is MORE,) it can be ANY combination of hours or locations.

Just make sure that you are "in the sleeper" when your team driver shows going DOWN THE ROAD. You obviously can't be OFF duty, in a truckstop or company yard at this time.

But, if he/she only drives 5 hours, YOU can come "on duty" because you've been OFF duty for more than 10 hours.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:14 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo

When coming off a 34 hour restart, there is NO requirement as to how many hours MUST be in the sleeper. If you go from being OFF DUTY, into the Sleeper, it is all the same. As the regs state that you must have 10 hours consecutive OFF Duty before starting your 14 hour clock. As long as it is 10 hours or MORE (34 hours is MORE,) it can be ANY combination of hours or locations.

Just make sure that you are "in the sleeper" when your team driver shows going DOWN THE ROAD. You obviously can't be OFF duty, in a truckstop or company yard at this time.

But, if he/she only drives 5 hours, YOU can come "on duty" because you've been OFF duty for more than 10 hours.
The really wordy version of what I said :lol:

What really scares me since it's a good friend that posted this, and I'm a former Swift driver myself, is that his MENTOR did not know the answer. *blinks* I know Swift has been trying to revamp the training program quite a bit in the past year or so, but if this is the quality of mentors they are retaining right now, I think I'm going to start second guessing my decision to tell people it's an alright place to get started at.

This question is really Logbooks 101...
Old 01-09-2007, 04:39 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tndieselgrl
Quote:

The really wordy version of what I said :lol:

What really scares me since it's a good friend that posted this, and I'm a former Swift driver myself, is that his MENTOR did not know the answer. *blinks* I know Swift has been trying to revamp the training program quite a bit in the past year or so, but if this is the quality of mentors they are retaining right now, I think I'm going to start second guessing my decision to tell people it's an alright place to get started at.

This question is really Logbooks 101...
No doubt about the "logbook 101" Tennesee!! I didn't mean to imply you hadn't answered the question, only that you did it at a "logbook 102" level! :lol: I'm becoming more and more amazed at how LITTLE some of these drivers are learning in school.

I was just wording it a little more like it would be found in the regs.... if anyone thought to CHECK them! :lol:

And, yeah..... the FIRST thing that caught MY eye was that the MENTOR didn't know the answer! After how many weeks of training??? :roll:

I can't help but wonder what ELSE this "mentor" doesn't know!!!! :shock:

Maybe YOU need to turn in your "wings" and do a little training.... for the company's sake!!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I didn't mean to imply you hadn't answered the question, only that you did it at a "logbook 102" level! :lol: .....

...Maybe YOU need to turn in your "wings" and do a little training.... for the company's sake!!
No problems 8) I was just giving you a hard time about it since it's rare I get to be the first to chime in on something like this :wink:

You know, it terrifies me in general who's training our new drivers... and not just at Swift. I'm the first to admit that I won't take students for one major reason - I've only got about two and a half years behind the wheel myself! Then again, I've seen some drivers out here training with decades of experience that are STILL giving our rookies the wrong information... perhaps simple longevity in the business isn't the best measure of a mentor/trainer after all.

You are right though, a quick shuffle through the regs would have answered this, and I know for a fact at orientation Swift hands out a copy (at least they did as of last February!)... but one would think for the mentor, a basic understanding of logbook rules and regulations would have to be a requirement!

You know, I'd love to work with students... I think it's why I hang around the rookie forums on here more than anything. But - and it's a big one... I'm a Type A personality with a strong "self preservation instinct" that can't handle working with a complete newbie behind the wheel of MY truck I think :wink: I don't know if I'd be able to pass the blood pressure test for my medical card renewal... :lol: Maybe they should hire me to train the trainers.... LOL
Old 01-09-2007, 11:55 PM
Senior Board Member

What I'm really amazed at is that any company would even think about sending a "mentor" :? ...aka trainer out without having made sure that said trainer is up to snuff on logs and a myriad of other subjects..... :shock:

And drivers wonder why they get nailed for log violations... Oh doh!! Talk about the blind leading the blind......

Might as well have this guy do the training:

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.