User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 05:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

dont make me do the research- thats just what i heard...try ordering a new truck for road use without a/c and youll hear..."sorry all ur trucks come with a/c"
Old 09-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Senior Board Member

For those of you that said if the truck originally came with a/c then it has to work you are correct. i just read on another website(i wish i knew how to paste them on here) Also i dont know what type of truck original poster of forum is talking about but if it has a sleeper then it MUST have air conditioning also.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel27208
For those of you that said if the truck originally came with a/c then it has to work you are correct. i just read on another website(i wish i knew how to paste them on here) Also i dont know what type of truck original poster of forum is talking about but if it has a sleeper then it MUST have air conditioning also.
Show me the FMCSA rule. Then I'll believe you.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One
dont make me do the research- thats just what i heard...try ordering a new truck for road use without a/c and youll hear..."sorry all ur trucks come with a/c"
It may be that it is standard equipment for the truck just like having rear view mirrors or seats, which is the choice of the manufacturer, but I still doubt there is any law stating they must be so equipped.

This discussion has been done many times on other forums, including this one, and on a few occasions lawyers who deal with either the trucking industry and/or work place laws nd OSHA have chimed in stating that the "law" or "rule" of having to provide working A/C is nothing more that wishful thinking.

Now a working heater and defrosters are a different matter all together. :wink:
Old 09-11-2006, 11:47 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: a/c in trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBulldogs13U
I dont wanna say but Its a beer company on the southside(Chesapeake) in Va They distribute Miller,Coors,... And its not called tri cities....Also after your done delivering beer you have to mechandise the product which could take up to 3 hours
It wouldn't be "price distribution" (i think thats it) wouldnt it ? Other than Hoffman Beverage (budwieser, owned by atlantic dominion, were I work ), and tri cities thats all I can think of

Old 09-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Default a/c

there is no law prohibiting the company from disabling the a/c, or refusing to maintain it. I went through this with an LTL carrier where I worked for 15 years... Some nights you lucked out, some nights you had to suffer..( I didn't mind unassigned equipment, when you're making 70K) I think the only area this wasn't the case was in the southern supplements, where it was in the contract, they had to fix it, or send the tractor to a facility that could fix it..
Old 09-17-2006, 02:49 AM
Senior Board Member

the fmcsa website says nothing about a/c. as you can see, the defroster does not have to be part of an a/c system, it just has to work. do the idiots you work for know that the truck was designed for naximum mileage taking the a/c into account? I bet they dont get a 1/4 mile to a gallon more. even if they did, they surely spend more than they save because they constantly have to train new drivers, I cant imagine anyone staying long, sounds like your company is run by the new breed of managers. all education and no common sense whatsoever. I would get out fast. they have already proven that they care nothing about you.

Skip NavigationDepartment of Transportation Logo U.S. Department of Transportation Keyword Links | Contact Us

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Home Rules & Regulations Registration & Licensing Forms Safety & Security Facts & Research Cross Border About FMCSA
Home > Rules & Regulations > Vehicle-related Regulations > 571.103

Overview
Federal Regulations
All
Driver
Vehicle
Company
FMCSA Hazmat
Regulatory Guidance
Who Must Comply with the Regulations?
Rulemakings and Notices
Final Rules
Interim Final Rules
Proposed Rules
Notices
Topics of Interest
Hours of Service (HOS)
Hazardous Materials
Medical Program
NAFTA Rules
Drug & Alcohol Testing

Part 571: Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
Print this page Print
Search for
Examples: Medical Form, 391.53, 391

Up Vehicle-related Regulations

<571>

?571.103 Standard No. 103; Windshield defrosting and defogging systems.

S1. Scope. This standard specifies requirements for windshield defrosting and defogging systems.

S2. Application. This standard applies to passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, and buses.

S3. Definitions. Road load means the power output required to move a given motor vehicle at curb weight plus 180 kilograms on level, clean, dry, smooth portland cement concrete pavement (or other surface with equivalent coefficient of surface friction) at a specified speed through still air at 20 degrees Celsius, and standard barometric pressure (101.3 kilopascals) and includes driveline friction, rolling friction, and air resistance.

S4. Requirements. (a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, each passenger car shall meet the requirements specified in S4.1, S4.2, and S4.3, and each multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, and bus shall meet the requirements specified in S4.1.

(b) Each passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, and bus manufactured for sale in the noncontinental United States may, at the option of the manufacturer, have a windshield defogging system which operates either by applying heat to the windshield or by dehumidifying the air inside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, in lieu of meeting the requirements specified by paragraph (a) of this section.

S4.1 Each vehicle shall have a windshield defrosting and defogging system.

S4.2 Each passenger car windshield defrosting and defogging system shall meet the requirements of section 3 of SAE Recommended Practice J902, "Passenger Car Windshield Defrosting Systems," August 1964, when tested in accordance with S4.3, except that "the critical area" specified in paragraph 3.1 of SAE Recommended Practice J902 shall be that established as Area C in accordance with Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 104, "Windshield Wiping and Washing Systems," and "the entire windshield" specified in paragraph 3.3 of SAE Recommended Practice J902 shall be that established as Area A in accordance with ?571.104.

S4.3 Demonstration procedure. The passenger car windshield defrosting and defogging system shall be tested in accordance with the portions of paragraphs 4.1 through 4.4.7 of SAE Recommended Practice J902, August 1964, or SAE Recommended Practice J902a, March 1967, applicable to that system, except that?

(a) During the first 5 minutes of the test:

(a)(1) For a passenger car equipped with a heating system other than a heat exchanger type that uses the engine's coolant as a means to supply the heat to the heat exchanger, the warm-up procedure is that specified by the vehicle's manufacturer for cold weather starting, except that connection to a power or heat source external to the vehicle is not permitted.

(a)(2) For all other passenger cars, the warm?up procedure may be that recommended by the vehicle's manufacturer for cold weather starting.

(b) During the last 35 minutes of the test period (or the entire test period if the 5-minute warm-up procedure specified in paragraph (a) of this section is not used),

(b)(1) For a passenger car equipped with a heating system other than a heat exchanger type that uses the engine's coolant as a means to supply the heat to the heat exchanger, the procedure shall be that specified by the vehicle's manufacturer for cold weather starting, except that connection to a power or heat source external to the vehicle is not permitted.

(b)(2) For all other passenger cars, either?

(b)(2)(i) The engines speed shall not exceed 1,500 r.p.m. in neutral gear; or

(b)(2)(ii) The engine speed and load shall not exceed the speed and load at 40 kilometers per hour in the manufacturer's recommended gear with road load.

(c) A room air change of 90 times per hour is not required;

(d) The windshield wipers may be used during the test if they are operated without manual assist;

(e) One or two windows may be open a total of 25 millimeters;

(f) The defroster blower may be turned on at any time; and

(g) The wind velocity is at any level from 0 to 3 kilometers per hour.

(h) The test chamber temperature and the wind velocity shall be measured, after the engine has been started, at the forward most point of the vehicle or a point 914 millimters from the base of the windshield, whichever is farther forward, at a level halfway between the top and bottom of the windshield on the vehicle centerline.

[36 FR 22902, Dec. 2, 1971, as amended at 40 FR 12992, Mar. 24, 1975; 40 FR 32336, Aug. 1, 1975, 50 FR 48775, Nov. 27, 1985; 59 FR 11006, Mar. 9, 1994; 60 FR 13642, Mar. 14, 1995]

Related Links

* Disclaimer

Go To Top of Page
Feedback | Privacy Policy | FirstGov.gov | Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) | Accessibility
Web Policies and Important Links | Site Map | Plug-ins

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
400 7th Street SW, Washington, DC 20590 ? 1-800-832-5660 ? TTY: 1-800-877-8339
Old 09-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Senior Board Member

From what I could tell, trucks use an automotive type AC compressor. It won't suffer nearly the same parasitic losses that a car or pickup might suffer from the compressor engaging. Hell, in my KW T2000 I couldn't tell the AC compressor was even on, except for the occasional engaging of the cooling fan, which probably robs more power than the AC compressor.

It's not like a motorcoach, which has a huge multi-cylinder ac compressor that has the displacement of a small car engine.

FWIW, when I drove for Pepsi locally, I drove a POS GMC TopKick with no AC on a 100+ mile drive one way across the desert. OK in the mornings but on the way home in the summer afternoons with 100+ temps. F--- that! I quit after being promised time after time that I'd get a more highway friendly truck with AC.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:28 PM
Senior Board Member

I asked DOT today...they said they do NOT address this issue of air conditioning........
Old 09-21-2006, 02:17 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: a/c in trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBulldogs13U
I dont wanna say but Its a beer company on the southside(Chesapeake) in Va They distribute Miller,Coors,... And its not called tri cities....Also after your done delivering beer you have to mechandise the product which could take up to 3 hours
For many route vendors, the distance from one stop to another is so short that you would not be running long enough to cool the truck down, and I can see where a route company such as a beer or a soft drink distributor would not want trucks left to idle while accounts are being serviced.