User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlco
I am sure that given any carrier with more than a couple trucks that at least one truck will be running every day of the week.
I've worked for many who never work on weekends - 30+ truck fleets.

Quote:
But if he always runs Monday to Friday, and sometimes Saturday, and sometimes leaves on Sunday then as far as I know that covers all the days of the week.
As the regulation states, only on weeks that the carrier has a truck running every day, can they use the 70/8 rule. "Sometimes" is not every week.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuzzyGnu
I do 70 in 5 all the time. I like weekends off.
Quote:
Sorry to break it to you, but you're in violation on any week where the carrier isn't running trucks 7 days a week.
Quote:
Question 1: May a motor carrier switch from a 60-hour/7-day limit to a 70-hour/8-day limit or vice versa?

Guidance: Yes. The only restriction regarding the use of the 70- hour/8-day rule is that the motor carrier must have CMVs operating every day of the week.

Quote:
Question 3: May a carrier which provides occasional, but not regular service on every day of the week, have the option of the 60 hours in 7 days or 70 hours in 8 days with respect to all drivers, during the period in which it operates one or more vehicles on each day of the week?

Guidance: Yes.
Well I guess the DOT audit my carrier had a couple of months ago missed that... Heh heh. As did all the coops I've been in.

My terminal has 6 class A drivers and 6 class B drivers. Other terminals have similar structures. On an occasional weekend we might not have anyone running as most of our customers are M-F. But we do (and I have) run 7 days a week.

So there we are. We have that option. I believe neither the letter nor the spirit of the law requires my company to switch everyone to the 60/7 on the fly one occasional week just because none of our customers required a truck on that Saturday or Sunday. Maybe everyone made it back from their runs by 11:59p Friday and it was Labor Day weekend and no customer had a pickup that required a driver to head out before 12:01a Monday. Should everyone be switched to 60/7? Nah....

In summary, we as a company with our various terminals are prepared to, and most often do, have drivers running 7 days a week. Therefore we legally run a 70/8 log.

-p.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuzzyGnu
So there we are. We have that option. I believe neither the letter nor the spirit of the law requires my company to switch everyone to the 60/7 on the fly one occasional week just because none of our customers required a truck on that Saturday or Sunday. Maybe everyone made it back from their runs by 11:59p Friday and it was Labor Day weekend and no customer had a pickup that required a driver to head out before 12:01a Monday. Should everyone be switched to 60/7? Nah....
Actually, the law is quite specific on this, that you are not required to change to the 70/8 rule, but it is an option for those carriers who run trucks 7 days a week. It is like an "added bonus" for those who are a full week operation.

Quote:
In summary, we as a company with our various terminals are prepared to, and most often do, have drivers running 7 days a week. Therefore we legally run a 70/8 log.
Only on the weeks that the company runs trucks 7 days a week. But as long as the company has trucks running every day of the week (even if each individual truck isn't), then the 70/8 rule can apply.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Senior Board Member

I've had 2 full blown DOT audits in my life and on one two years ago, the auditor asked if we were a 7 or 8 day operation. I said 8, and then they started the log audit, all of my drivers that use up their logbook reset after 70. We run 7 days a week most weeks.