User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2016, 05:56 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95 View Post
You do realize they have equipment that can tell them that right? You know, an emission detector, aka the sniffer. They got equipment they don't like the public to know about.

Maybe they do where you are, but they dont anywhere along the route he is running.........the north eastern states are all broke, they look for the easy way to write a ticket, there are enought trucks running the east west (NY to Chicago) with other easy to spot violations that keep them plenty busy.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I don't own trucks with egr or def. If I did, I am not sure that I would alter them. But, there are some who will alter their equipment to avoid some of the issues associated with the newer emissions. I don't know if the dot would check the systems or not. It does seem to be a big risk. Then again, what about the new glider kits? If it is illegal to alter the emissions trucks, then how is it legal to purchase a glider kit that doesn't have any of the new emissions?
thats what i was kinda thinking about with the glider kits as well.
Quote:
It's all about the EPA and what they approve. DOT will enforce EPA rules/laws. I have heard of people getting busted. Just like running around in a personal vehicle with the converter not in place. Regular police can cite you for that. In the wake of the whole Diesel-gate with VW, you have to assume any diesel vehicle is being looked at closer than ever before.
to be honest i'm just not sure. and the diesel gate was just differnt. that was a group of cars at once. not just one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
From what I hear, YOU cannot see what is deleted...........therefore neither can THEY,

since there were owners before you..................

Still illegal............if you get caught.................
i'm kinda wondering if its like if you gut the cat on a car? its "there" just nothing in the middle.
Quote:
You do realize they have equipment that can tell them that right? You know, an emission detector, aka the sniffer. They got equipment they don't like the public to know about.
yes. but my dirty old cat gets that that test every year for NY state and i'm told every time at idle its just as clean as a new truck. and i've seen the print out. going in a few weeks i'll get the results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Maybe they do where you are, but they dont anywhere along the route he is running.........the north eastern states are all broke, they look for the easy way to write a ticket, there are enought trucks running the east west (NY to Chicago) with other easy to spot violations that keep them plenty busy.
kind of. the normal route.. 0 that i can think of. NJ on 78 they do and on 287 they do. i've seen them put the sniffer in and when you drive by they have the raised sensors while driving though to roll though scales. but you brought up a good point. if it was there when you bought it i don't know about it
Old 06-15-2016, 09:10 PM
Board Icon

Yes, the sniffer isn't new, but they have other gadgets that can check trucks which they don't want truck drivers to wise up to and look for another way around the machines.

With a cat on a car, you don't have to see it, you can hear it if your used to a certain sound coming out. My pickup had the cat cleaned out after it came after part and stopped up the exhaust. It sounded different immediately, thankfully my county doesn't require emissions so it's still like that, no guts in the cat for 10 years now!
Old 09-18-2016, 07:19 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
so.. after much though leasing someone on to me would be a nightmare. i might be adding another driver to run for me. i was thinking of coming out of my truck but.. its older and i really don't want to deal with someone beating it up. its getting harder and harder to find a pre emissions truck. here is my though. get a DPF truck and eventually delete that. thoughts?
Why not just get a new or fairly new glider truck with a pre-emission engine in it? My 2013 FL is a glider with a factory reman pre-egr Detroit 60. Why screw around with getting someone else's pre-egr problem child or spending money deleting emissions stuff when you can get a new truck without that goofy emissions stuff. Is legal for operation in all but California.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:24 AM
Senior Board Member