User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2014, 03:00 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Just wondering, and this is why I like this site, a swap of legit (usually info). How much do they charge for a tire? If you hit a nail or something on a trailer and they charge this back to you do you know how much is a tire going to cost?

Also, we have a bunch of 2015 and the problems with DEF! Do they charge you in case of a breakdown and have to tow you in to a shop?

And finally what kind of fuel discounts you getting and where. I mean do they prefer you fuel at the T/A Petro or Pilot.

Pick any truck stop for the day and I will put the prices I negotiated and I am obviously much much smaller. So you must be getting it cheap.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
What do you want to prove? You want to do it? Fine! I wouldn't mention, that in general, that's a bad idea, and since you have an option to get out, why not? What i will say, that according to your own words, you are not good with the money, and that's mean you are looking for trouble. Otherwise good luck, and keep us posted. Any questions,- don't hesitate to ask...
What Solo379 said!! Could not have said it any better!! Best Wishes for you.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinwise View Post
Thats $3467 per month for the truck payment. I dont want to come off sounding like all the naysayers that come on these forums and tell people they will fail because I believe you when you say you spoke to people that have done well with this. But lets at least not make these leases sound like they are somehow a good thing. You need almost $3500 in revenue each month just for the truck payment. At $800/ week you need 571 miles @ $1.40/ mile every week to make that payment. Then you have to add in fuel and other variable costs of doing business, its safe to say margins will be thin. I use $1.40 because dry van freight just doesnt pay that great so Im hoping Schnieder has better paying freight than the national average.
Very good post, "crackinwise";

I will respectfully submit that I haven't seen posts form "naysayers" on this thread. Malaki86 has been with us for a long time, and he seems like a pretty good dude.

Having said that, "Solo379" is an experienced O/O, and GMan has been a small fleet owner since Moses rode a tricycle. Although I've never been an O/O or L/O, I have been a business owner for over 30 years, and for the life of me, I'm also having trouble getting the dollars to make sense.

Once again, kudos on your post!!
Old 09-19-2014, 05:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4 View Post
Just wondering, and this is why I like this site, a swap of legit (usually info). How much do they charge for a tire? If you hit a nail or something on a trailer and they charge this back to you do you know how much is a tire going to cost?

Also, we have a bunch of 2015 and the problems with DEF! Do they charge you in case of a breakdown and have to tow you in to a shop?

And finally what kind of fuel discounts you getting and where. I mean do they prefer you fuel at the T/A Petro or Pilot.

Pick any truck stop for the day and I will put the prices I negotiated and I am obviously much much smaller. So you must be getting it cheap.
The truck is under warranty for 3 years. That includes towing if necessary.

If a trailer has issues (tires or otherwise), that's on them. If the truck has issues, that's on me.

Fuel discounts: T/A, Petro & Loves - $0.055. Pilot/Flying J ranges between $0.155 & $0.325 - this week it's $0.185.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Ok - let's break this down:

My fixed weekly costs are right at $1,100 per week. My truck is averaging 7.85mpg. At 2500 miles per week, that is 320 gallons of fuel, with an average cost to me of $1,170 per week. So, as soon as I top $2,300 per week, I'm making money. When I deliver my load in Houston on Monday, I'll have made $4,785 for the week. This might be a fluke of a week, but I seriously doubt that since every other L/O here doing the exact same deal is averaging the same thing every week.

Yes - the fixed cost includes the tractor lease.

As for the cost of the lease, it's the same as if I had went and purchased a truck myself, with no down payment:
7.5% interest for 48 months for a $147,000 truck is $3,554.30 per month. I'm paying $3,467.30 per month.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useless View Post
Very good post, "crackinwise";

I will respectfully submit that I haven't seen posts form "naysayers" on this thread. Malaki86 has been with us for a long time, and he seems like a pretty good dude.

Having said that, "Solo379" is an experienced O/O, and GMan has been a small fleet owner since Moses rode a tricycle. Although I've never been an O/O or L/O, I have been a business owner for over 30 years, and for the life of me, I'm also having trouble getting the dollars to make sense.

Once again, kudos on your post!!
I'm averaging a bit more than $1.40 per mile, accounting for all miles, loaded and empty. $1.55, to be exact.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
As for the cost of the lease, it's the same as if I had went and purchased a truck myself, with no down payment:
7.5% interest for 48 months for a $147,000 truck is $3,554.30 per month. I'm paying $3,467.30 per month.
If you went and bought a truck you could do 60 or even 72 month terms to bring down your payment. Plus may even do better then 7.5%.

So in your 1,100 a week fixed cost. Truck payment 800, and the maintenance account 81. so your at 881.00 a week. So for 219. a week (876 a month) You can cover all your other fixed costs. Like your Commercial Auto Insurance and General Liability. Health Insurance, Truck tags, 2290 etc. im sure im missing some. I include my cell phone and internet bills in my monthly fixed costs

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 09-19-2014, 08:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Yes - All insurances (bobtail, collision, workers comp, etc), plates, permits, etc.

I didn't include my phone and internet because they're already part of my household bills. Yes, I know I can claim them now. Same as the XM.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:32 PM
Senior Board Member

I missed one - health insurance. That's because right now I can't afford it. I couldn't afford it as a company driver, either.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Rookie

So I have also been thinking of joining up at this company and also doing a lease.
I have been a lease operator since 08' with 2 different companies now pulling refer with both.
I know what alot of what people have said here in this thread to be fairly accurate.
With the company I am with now I pay % 100 refer fuel as well as %100 tolls.
The loads have not gone over $2.80 per mile to me and those are few and far between.
my gross for the year is around 146k as of today with a net of 34k
This is why I must leave this place.
It is an uphill battle for true O/O let alone lease but hoping one day it will pay off.
I would like to get into a KW T680 as this is the truck I am currently in now with the lease company I am now with.
However when I spoke to the lease dept over there they made no mention of having a choice of Cascadia only!
Is this true would I need a $5000 cash down deposit for the KW?
let me know because I am planning a move soon.-thx