User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2014, 03:12 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default lets talk reefers.. what to buy and waht not?

i'n going to be making the leap over the summer to a reefer. so a few questions.

1: does the trailer make really have anything to do with anything?
2: whats the deal with the model numbers? both the TK and the carrier units.
3: who has the most quiet unit?
4: do yu ned to hae the duct floor?
Old 04-04-2014, 12:26 PM
Board Regular

2100 vs 2500 is the same as the ultima vs ultra for carrier. The 2500/Ultima's high speed is 2150 to give it better capacity.

In 2000 hours since I bought my carrier at 8500 hours, I've had to replace the clutch for the fan and the compressor got tore down due to a leaky input seal. Otherwise, I can run it down to -10°F no issues even in the summer.

I spent the better part of the winter trying g to figure out why it would not shut down in sleep mode ore even in normal operation. Turns out it was just a dirty connection on a fuse and other locations. I personally think thermokings are quieter, but you need the newest units to get that benefit. I haven't heard the newest x[SUP]4[/SUP]2500 reefer run. From what I understand its supposed to be much nicer. But there aygain, brand new units are $20k

I would not own anything but a great Dane. Just a snob with them like some are with peterbilt. If it weren't a great Dane, distant second would be a utility.

If I order a new trailer, it would not have a ducted floor. You just can't find them without used. Kraft uses them I know. It is a pita as far as I am concerned.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
i'n going to be making the leap over the summer to a reefer. so a few questions.

1: does the trailer make really have anything to do with anything?

Not much difference between utility or dane. Have some O/O's with older utility's that are just as good shape as my danes of the same year.

2: whats the deal with the model numbers? both the TK and the carrier units.

designate what it is designed for. cool/frozen, mostly frozen, deep frozen.

3: who has the most quiet unit?

if you compare apples to apples, the last few years there is no difference. TK just sold more whispers than carriers version so there are more out there.

4: do yu ned to hae the duct floor?
depends on what you're doing. not as much floor loaded as there was years ago. floor loaded produce(say bulk lettuce)and you'll have hot/frozen claims with a flat floor. fresh meat floor loaded any leakers will cause a claim to any other boxes that soak up the blood. as long as it's on pallets you will have airflow.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Senior Board Member

thanks for the responses.

so if i wanted something to do all around i'd go to a TK210 (example)?

i saw somewhere that some utility's you can still get 30 pallets in there sideways. this true?

i really like the look of the new carrier units and been seeing a lot of them. though i havent heard one run. i was kicking around the idea of a new one but i doubt i will. was reading that carrier has a hybird model. i want to get in to plant hauling so i'm not sure what kind of floor i'd need. i pretty much a all around trailer. something i can do frozen and refrigerated in.

how are other trailer brands like vanguard?

another thing, thermoking and carrier are equally as reliable? i was told years ago when i did frozen as a driver that tk's cooled faster but carriers held it better? any truth?

another thing with carrier whats the XTC model?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Board Regular

Either way you go, you'd be better to sit and ask questions on..."What's it going to rebuild a compressor?" and "What's the service life on a compressor".

Both of these run a rock solid engine. Mine in my carrier is a Kubota diesel. You really can't get a much better engine.

I learned that the input seal is a weak point on my compressor. That's been fixed. That was like $600 to have the compressor taken out, replace the seal and put in new reed plates. I think the total bill was like $900 and I have a bunch of other things like coupler and belts replaced.

I learned that the fan clutch on the reefer is a service point. Another $900 to replace. Had it chewed up the fan shaft, another $1200+ This caused a lot of the noise I had and really quieted up once it was repaired.

TK it's been my experience is like a cat, dead reliable, but expensive to repair. Carrier, more like a detroit. Again, dead reliable, not so expensive to repair.

I have never asked what the XTC model means on the carriers. I have a 2003 Great Dane with a 2002 Model Carrier Ultra that's been reprogrammed to a Ultima software. Only thing we can tell is that it runs at 2150 RPM instead of 1750 RPM on high idle. I have had zero issue holding -10*F with my unit even in the summer. I also will run it on continuous to do that. I can hold 0*F on start/stop. I have like 10100 hours on my unit now.

A ducted floor will hide a lot of debris. if you spin pallets, doesn't matter the make of trailer, you can get 30 pallets in.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Senior Board Member

XTC (extreme temp controls) They will adjust airflow(rpm's). So instead of just low/high speed it will adjust in-between.

Don't know anyone with vanguard. Made a mistake a few years ago and bought a couple of Wabash.(everyone's entitled to a mistake) Rear frames are already racked more than the danes 2-3 years older.

Both have good and bad. More like a personal choice.

If you have no need forget the hybrid.

Doing plants on racks you need the flat floor or plywood layed down. Roll them on a duct floor and you'll be picking up flowers all day long.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:01 AM
Senior Board Member

again thanks for the info guys. i really want a universal trailer that i can pretty much do anything with. is there any reefers out there with logistics posts? what is normal maintenance on these?

for the carrier which is the quiet model?

is there any advantage to a XTC?

people are saying the wabash is a lighter trailer. but then again my buddy with a great dane says his is the lightest (has a super seal). for my van's i have a dane and a hyundai. the only thing i can say that i like my hyundai better is that the wheels slide up a bit further. i HATE the suspension on it (rayco). speaking of suspension, whats the best suspension out there? i'm seeing vantexx? never heard of it before. i have hendrickson on my dane and love it.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm using two Vanguards right now. One got damaged and the body shop told me not to get one of those again (I don't own it anyway) because the parts are hard to obtain.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4 View Post
I'm using two Vanguards right now. One got damaged and the body shop told me not to get one of those again (I don't own it anyway) because the parts are hard to obtain.
well that made my mind up on vanguard. thanks!
Old 09-17-2017, 05:12 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
again thanks for the info guys. i really want a universal trailer that i can pretty much do anything with. is there any reefers out there with logistics posts? what is normal maintenance on these?

for the carrier which is the quiet model?

is there any advantage to a XTC?

people are saying the wabash is a lighter trailer. but then again my buddy with a great dane says his is the lightest (has a super seal). for my van's i have a dane and a hyundai. the only thing i can say that i like my hyundai better is that the wheels slide up a bit further. i HATE the suspension on it (rayco). speaking of suspension, whats the best suspension out there? i'm seeing vantexx? never heard of it before. i have hendrickson on my dane and love it.
i think so