User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2014, 01:44 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

i expose my ignorance when i open my mouth but..........i run about 2500 miles per week and i grease my drive line one week then the whole truck the next. not just for the grease but to be under my truck looking for possible problems! i know i'm wasting some grease but i'd rather do that than not catch a seized universal and drop the front line then drive it back through the differential!! besides....laying under the truck i don't have to clean windows or fold clothes!
Old 04-06-2014, 02:07 AM
Board Regular

I let my mom chanic grease it. I dig around on it enough that its nice to have a second set of eyes every now and again to look at it. Found things earlier that way and scheduled the maintenance instead of a breakdown that way.

He also stopped all my oil leaks and saved me another shop telling me I had to overhaul my oil cooler to stop the leaks. All from the galley plugs just needing a touch of thread seal.

Otherwise its every 7-9000 for lube and 24-25,000 for oil change. Throwout gets once a quarter. It says every 50,000.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Senior Board Member

how do you find all the grease points....is there a diagram
Old 04-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Board Regular

Yeah, there are diagrams. We used them all the time in the army. Called them lube orders. I find similar stuff from the various manufacturers for all the components on my truck and trailer. My steer axle is not supposed to be unloading d by jacking up to grease the kingpins.

Otherwise experience. If it rotates, pivots or is supposed to move, look for a grease point. More and more, traditional places like ujoints and carrier bearings are becoming greaseless. Ruins the seal is you try to squirt some in with a needle tip.