User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

That seems to be normal today. And you have the complaining about no freight.low rates,ect. Not that i would want to go back to the days of regulation but you had to have a shipper vouch for needing you before you could get the authority.

I assume(?)you're in MI? 3-400 mile radius of Detroit area is the 3rd most active area for expedite freight in the country. Pick up the phone and start calling. Remember the 100,10,1. Call 100,10 talk to you,1 customer comes out of it.

Always going to be cheaper people,set yourself apart. What can you do different than 1000 others? If you got into this to do what you want,when you want,how you want then you're pretty much stuck on the brokers.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:19 PM

if you in mi. or were ever you based out of, ur first job is your out bound lane, weather thats by call/knocking on doors or working with brokers to find a regeler shipper you run out with. when you have that worked out, and under stand what and when shipment go out then you can try and match up lanes to bring you back.

you may not like the broker you spoke about in your first post but theres a conection that have to be built on. the better he gets to know you and your service the better rates your get.

i would say the avege broker cut is 7-10% to his/her regalers, if he has loades that is being placed on a boad he will probly post at the avg. rate for that area.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
You need others input on ethics? You're speaking of"back dooring"the brokers customer,which i'm sure is in your contract.
And this broker wouldn't cheat MD if he had the chance? And the shipper only uses that ONE broker? And you know 100% what is in his contract?

Come on, guys... MD is new at this (as you all know.) He ASKED the question about ethics! He's probably just trying to make a living AND live with himself. IMO... he started out too soon, but that's his decision. I've followed some of his posts here, and he's not the "bad guy." He comes here looking for advice... not criticism.

That being said... I know you guys have a creed. And I know you speak your mind. But... aren't you here to help people? Save the Billy Big Rigger stuff for the azzholes.

Are you a broker, too, Chris? If so... I can see where you are coming from. But, perhaps you should disclose that info.

Logbook AND that "alphabet guy" gave good info without "jumping" on his question of ethics. No disrespect to THEM... but, I would value your opinion just as much or more. But, I will be real careful when my time comes as to what questions I ask so that I can benefit from your knowledge... without suffering from your attitude.

Let's all try to play nice now, ok? Cuz you never know who is listening and learning.

What? You say there IS NO Santa Claus? Spoiler!

Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Hobo, wow, I honestly appreciate your stepping up and saying a good word for me.

I have to say 2 things though.

1. I can be a dick. We've all seen it on this forum. I'm usually a pretty easy going guy, but I'm very competitive and being in business trying to pull it up by the bootstraps has been a trying experience and many days I'm in a frustrated ugly mood. I've been making a real effort lately to not take it out on folks here on the forum and that's why I stayed away for a month. We all come here for a little break from the daily BS, not for a double dose of it. I have no right to take my bad mood out on anyone else. So I deserve some flack and (on a good day) I try to show I can take it.

2. Judging by Rick's avatar (do people still call it that?), he's a Republican and I've made no secret of the fact that I am not. He probably thought he had a choice opening to give a lib a bit of a rash. Of course I could point out that we haven't been talking about ethics much in this country for the last 32 years and I'm not surprised that he's uncomfortable that I should be concerned with it, but hey, I'd rather play nice. Like I said I'm trying to be a *****cat.

Well, I'll be dipped in something that rhymes with chit. The word p.u.s.s.y.cat is censored on this forum.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
And this broker wouldn't cheat MD if he had the chance?

And you know he would cheat him how? So it would be fine to cheat the broker by back dooring?

And the shipper only uses that ONE broker?

And you know he uses more than one? And even if they do?

And you know 100% what is in his contract?

I don't believe i've seen a broker contract without a back solicitation clause since de-regulation.

Come on, guys... MD is new at this (as you all know.) He ASKED the question about ethics! He's probably just trying to make a living AND live with himself. IMO... he started out too soon, but that's his decision. I've followed some of his posts here, and he's not the "bad guy." He comes here looking for advice... not criticism.

The original read like he was looking for justification because he "didn't like" the broker but liked the load. And i'll say it again,if he had to ask about the ethics of it then it is a non-issue. Contracts are there to protect both sides.

That being said... I know you guys have a creed. And I know you speak your mind. But... aren't you here to help people? Save the Billy Big Rigger stuff for the azzholes.

Did i not give advice?

Are you a broker, too, Chris? If so... I can see where you are coming from. But, perhaps you should disclose that info.

Besides company and O/O,yes we do broker. And that has what to do with it? Sure,we have some try to backdoor us,goes direct to every reporting agency. The contract is only good for one year,wait the time and then go back.

Logbook AND that "alphabet guy" gave good info without "jumping" on his question of ethics. No disrespect to THEM... but, I would value your opinion just as much or more. But, I will be real careful when my time comes as to what questions I ask so that I can benefit from your knowledge... without suffering from your attitude.

What attitude? He's in business,can't take straight talk then it would be time to get out. Again it was written like seeking justification.

Let's all try to play nice now, ok? Cuz you never know who is listening and learning.

What? You say there IS NO Santa Claus? Spoiler!

Now he was thinking of going in and under-cutting the broker to get the load. What do you think the reaction would be if he had the load and someone came in and under-cut him?

Some like to talk bad about brokers,but they come into the business with no customer(s). They also come in to do what,when,where,and how they want. No customers will put up with that so they need the brokers. And then complain about them.

Like i said,(if he's in lower MI)he's in the 3rd largest expedited area of the country. Call,call,and call some more. If you can't handle rejection from those calls then use brokers.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDriver View Post
Hobo, wow, I honestly appreciate your stepping up and saying a good word for me.

I have to say 2 things though.

1. I can be a dick. We've all seen it on this forum. I'm usually a pretty easy going guy, but I'm very competitive and being in business trying to pull it up by the bootstraps has been a trying experience and many days I'm in a frustrated ugly mood. I've been making a real effort lately to not take it out on folks here on the forum and that's why I stayed away for a month. We all come here for a little break from the daily BS, not for a double dose of it. I have no right to take my bad mood out on anyone else. So I deserve some flack and (on a good day) I try to show I can take it.

2. Judging by Rick's avatar (do people still call it that?), he's a Republican and I've made no secret of the fact that I am not. He probably thought he had a choice opening to give a lib a bit of a rash. Of course I could point out that we haven't been talking about ethics much in this country for the last 32 years and I'm not surprised that he's uncomfortable that I should be concerned with it, but hey, I'd rather play nice. Like I said I'm trying to be a *****cat.

If you mean me i have never let someones politic's influence what i think of them.

Well, I'll be dipped in something that rhymes with chit. The word p.u.s.s.y.cat is censored on this forum.
I'll give you some advice on customers. If they come looking for you,then you don't want them.(unless it's a referral from a current customer) They contact you because they are a problem and no one wants to work with them. They're contacted every day by carriers. You need to have something that makes you stand out or you're just another carrier that they don't need.

Set aside 1-2 hours a day for calling. Should be able to do 25-30 calls with no problem in that time. Buy MFI for MI,start on page one. You'll have 6 months of calls. Make sure you know rates or you'll make a fool of yourself.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
I'll give you some advice on customers. If they come looking for you,then you don't want them.(unless it's a referral from a current customer) They contact you because they are a problem and no one wants to work with them. They're contacted every day by carriers. You need to have something that makes you stand out or you're just another carrier that they don't need.

Set aside 1-2 hours a day for calling. Should be able to do 25-30 calls with no problem in that time. Buy MFI for MI,start on page one. You'll have 6 months of calls. Make sure you know rates or you'll make a fool of yourself.
Thanks Chris - sounds like good advice.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Senior Board Member

MD go right after your own work. why give anyone a cut of your pay. More hands you have in the pot the less you get in the long run.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Senior Board Member

The courts have said a customer can do business with anyone they want to. Does anyone actually know of someone that was forced to pay a broker for soliciting?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Senior Board Member

How about a docket# for that? Reasonable non-compete's are upheld all the time.