User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
I don't know nuthin' much about trucks, and not much about being an O/O... but, you didn't give much info on yourself and why you think you can make it as one. Bad knees? How much longer do you think you can drive?

I'm just saying that the Freightliner at HALF the cost would be a good start. I know that's the way I'm thinking for when I take the plunge to O/O. With the economy the way it is, I want to make sure I can be profitable before I spend $50k or so on the truck I WANT.

What kind of payments are you looking at for the three (or the one) that you narrowed it down to?

What are your plans and income expectations? Leasing on as a power only unit? Who to?

I noticed the Volvo had the bigger sleeper. I drive a 770. I like the extra room. How much time will you spend on the road? My brother drove a Pete 387... hated it.

Not sure, but I think the Volvo has more room to move about even in the cab area (thinking of your knees,) and might be easier to get into and out of.

Anyway.... good luck on your venture! Keep us posted.
if he is set on a auto, most freightliners have the "smart shift" the WORST. but then again.. i never drove another except a 6 speed alison which was amazing actually. not my cup of tea but as far as auto goes.. amazing. drove like car but it was in a city columbia. the smartshift is next to impossible to back in with.

hobo, a lot of people say they hate the 387. i'm considering building a glider out of one but never drove or sat in one. as far as the 770 goes, in my opinion its major flaw is its weight. if it wasnt such a pig i'd get one in a heart beat. being you drive one i have a question, how uncomfterable is the "bed" on the bottom? when you fold the table down?

back to the orginal post, if you could manage with the manual for a first truck i highly recomend a columbia. i love mine.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:25 AM
Senior Board Member

I bought my 387 before I had even driven a truck. I have been driving it for 4 years and it blew a head gasket so I went and bought a Freightliner Columbia.

The comparison to me is the Pete is a Caddie and the Columbia is a 1970 Ford Pickup.

I will be putting a different engine in my Pete soon and sitting back and enjoying the ride again.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 AM
Board Icon

firebird said:

Quote:
if he is set on a auto, most freightliners have the "smart shift" the WORST. but then again.. i never drove another except a 6 speed alison which was amazing actually. not my cup of tea but as far as auto goes.. amazing. drove like car but it was in a city columbia.
Okay... I didn't know there was a different 'auto' than the smartshift type that the Columbia I drove (once) had. It seems he has no choice but to go with the auto, so... my comments might be out of place about taking the cheaper Freightliner. As I recall, I had to "flap the paddle" on that Columbia to shift... and it was REAL SLOW to respond! If there are other "autos" out there that shift like my car, well... that might not be so bad.

So... did you drive this "auto" in the city OF Columbia... or WAS it a Columbia? I'm a bit confused.

Quote:
the smartshift is next to impossible to back in with.
That's what my brother said! Especially trying to get a good "seal" against a dock! [most of his trucks were autos, including that Pete.]

Quote:
hobo, a lot of people say they hate the 387. i'm considering building a glider out of one but never drove or sat in one.
I KNOW you must be kidding.... talk about overweight pigs! My brother dubbed the 387 as "Snoopy" and the 378 (is that right?) as.... Bullwinkle!

Quote:
as far as the 770 goes, in my opinion its major flaw is its weight. if it wasnt such a pig i'd get one in a heart beat. being you drive one i have a question, how uncomfterable is the "bed" on the bottom? when you fold the table down?
WHAT bed? lol! Okay... the question is do you drive SOLO or team? IF you drive solo, I would leave the table set up, and sleep on the top bunk! OR... I would bring the very thin mattress from the top bunk down and place it on top of the "cushions" that serve as a mattress on the bottom bunk. By themselves.... they are not very comfortable to sleep on (UNLESS... as I did once before... you put a layer of memory foam UNDER them!) You would not believe the difference!

On the other hand.... I can sleep on just about anything! So... I don't have a problem sleeping on the "cushions" that constitute a mattress in my Volvo... EVEN while bouncing down broken highways!

Quote:
back to the orginal post, if you could manage with the manual for a first truck i highly recomend a columbia. i love mine.
I think the O.P. said an AUTO was mandatory due to his knees. If there are better shifting autos than the Columbia, I retract my concern for the cost, and my recommendation. However.... I was VERY pleased with the manual Columbia I drove for nearly 3 yrs. I've seen 4yr old Columbias at about $20k or so. THAT is what I plan to start out with when I make the jump. IF I see that I'm making good money as an O/O.... I will plan for a W900 with a "studio" sleeper or, at least a Volvo 770 for my second truck. But, my main concern is to keep my truck payments as low as possible until I see how things go.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 AM
Senior Board Member

lol i think i'm the only one that likes the columbia.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:35 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfhobo View Post
I don't know nuthin' much about trucks, and not much about being an O/O... but, you didn't give much info on yourself and why you think you can make it as one. Bad knees? How much longer do you think you can drive?

I'm just saying that the Freightliner at HALF the cost would be a good start. I know that's the way I'm thinking for when I take the plunge to O/O. With the economy the way it is, I want to make sure I can be profitable before I spend $50k or so on the truck I WANT.

What kind of payments are you looking at for the three (or the one) that you narrowed it down to?

What are your plans and income expectations? Leasing on as a power only unit? Who to?

I noticed the Volvo had the bigger sleeper. I drive a 770. I like the extra room. How much time will you spend on the road? My brother drove a Pete 387... hated it.

Not sure, but I think the Volvo has more room to move about even in the cab area (thinking of your knees,) and might be easier to get into and out of.

Anyway.... good luck on your venture! Keep us posted.
Thanks for the advice Golfhobo...

Retired Chef...Born & raised in NYC ( Far from a wuss...and dont need any friends " Thanks Rev") Going back to work... not forced... but done with the retirement thing...Bored silly !

No-Payments...Trucking Income as it comes, just like any biz start up venture...Acquired CDL on my own (No-School) Passed the test...paid an O/O to train me and use his truck for 4 weeks as opposed to shoveling $5-6K to a school.O/O Also serves as a super mentor....which I always have a 1000 questions for. (Schools are a whole other experience & story for me)Getting the CDL thru a school private or Co. sponsered school was such a sham. 30cents/mile for 2 years after training...and pay them back $5K....No thanks !
I am Leasing on with Truck & trailer haulin RV's for 12 mo's ...which is also the Minimum exp. needed to lease on as O/O at a freight company. Once I passed the CDL and NO_EXPERIENCE...NO YOB MAN !
Going to start in Jan...Probably get my own authority in May/June...Just opens more doors.
I dont really want to start at what Im going into...but Cant find anything else. So I'll make the best of it...as always.

Thanks Again Hobo...Btw when I do hit the road my Pings will be in the cab and I will be close to a golf course down south when it comes time to do a reset. I can usually make a few bucks on the course..?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:37 AM
Rookie
Default Other Questions answered...?

Truck wise...I
Old 11-19-2012, 01:45 AM
Senior Board Member

hobo i dont know how to multi quote your post so i'll number them in what was said.

1. i should have explained better. the "city" columbia was a heavy spec electric company truck. it had 46k rears, and a 6 speed auto. it was a day cab. (no CLUE why i labled it like that... lol)

2. when i had to back in the auto i used for the day.. thank goodness the docks were on a hill. just rolled it in and hit the dock.

3. i'm confused with the snoopy and bullwinkle?

4. i can see myself being found in the truck with a broken neck falling from the top bunk. dont worry i'm sure my neck will snap on the way down... lol

5. after i said that i realised what i said. the other auto i'm thinking about had the clutch and i'm guessing its defeting the purpous of the auto..

hobo i'm gonna pm you
Old 11-19-2012, 01:56 AM
Rookie
Default Other Questions answered...?

I have spent the last 3-4 months reading 4-6 blogger sites all related to what I want to do...Trucking Biz.

Truck wise...The way I figured it...a new truck is $125-150K New...Taking that vehicle 2 years later and putting a value of $100k to it assuming it will go a million miles. Your really buying whats left of the life of that said vehicle...Correct...? So when I started this research I asked at least 25-30 truck drivers all the same question..." Money being no object...what truck wwould you buy..?" Pete,KW & Volvo were the top 3. So thats what I started looking at. With what I'm starting out hauling...a Class 8 is way overkill however I dont want to have to trade up in 6-9 months because my truck is not suited for Step_deck/Flat Bed heavy hauling.and that whole RV type of hauling all run with pick ups under CDL. I have no Idea why..? I'm 6-4 265lbs...I barely fit in the front seat of a pick up never mind the back seat sleeping which was'nt gonna happen. My knees swell up pretty bad after shifting a 13spd all day while training. Its not the end of the world...but it does hinder my draw shots ( Golfhobo).
Thats why I started with the 3 choices that I listed in the previous post. So that about covers my backround and upcoming future.

Open to all and any comments...Please ! And they are very much appreciated !

Last edited by JB Express Transport; 11-19-2012 at 02:00 AM. Reason: I dont type to fast...Takes me a while to hunt & Peck
Old 11-19-2012, 02:01 AM
Senior Board Member

I bought my truck with no driving experience (backed into my first dock on my first load) Leased on to a Mom and Pop company (6 trucks) for 1 1/2 years. I got tired of running my tail off for someone else, illegal most of the time.

Got my own authority and after a year fell into a nice little dedicated run. 2,100 miles one week and 1,400 miles the next week and make alot more $$$ than running my tail off for someone else.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:05 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottt View Post
I bought my truck with no driving experience (backed into my first dock on my first load) Leased on to a Mom and Pop company (6 trucks) for 1 1/2 years. I got tired of running my tail off for someone else, illegal most of the time.

Got my own authority and after a year fell into a nice little dedicated run. 2,100 miles one week and 1,400 miles the next week and make alot more $$$ than running my tail off for someone else.
As we say in NY..."Badda Bing" Thats what I'm trying to find...but no luck...plus I'm way up in Northern Wisc.( Wifes from here)...so its slim pickens