Old 08-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19_A_CPT View Post
GMAN, what part of Tennessee you from? Any experience with Mason-Dixon, CRST Malone, or Universal Am-Can? I am looking into getting my CDL and would be looking to be based out of the Nashville area. My wife's hometown is in Fairview, and we have been looking at a few houses in the Dickson area.

I am out of Chattanooga. I don't know of any of the companies you listed that hire inexperienced drivers. All are owner operator, but will hire drivers for owner operator or fleet owners who are leased to them. Mason Dixon is part of Universal Am Can. I have a friend who is leased to Universal Am Can and is doing very well. He lives in Pennsylvania. I have leased to CRST Malone and did well. I have spoken to people with these carriers who have not done well and others who have been very successful. CRST Malone has a lot of freight between Chicago and Birmingham. Living in Nashville would be a very good location for them. I can't say about the other two companies. I know Universal and their group of carriers went through some major changes about two years ago and eliminated a number of agents. The first thing you will need to do is get your CDL and some experience. You will need to buy a truck or find an owner operator who will hire you to drive one of their trucks if you want to go with one of those companies. I believe that CRST Malone only requires 6 months experience. I don't know about Mason Dixon or Universal Am Can.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Board Regular

he might want to try watkins sheppard as they were willing to give me the chance to prove myself and let me gain my experiance. they will probily have him goto there montana office for a training course. i don't know if this persons willing to travel that far or not but if all else fails it's worth a shot. as most require atleast 6 months experiance before they will let you lease onto em. i think watkins sheppard pays 82% of the load i'm not sure though. or this person can try the oil patch as they will give a newbie a chance. id'e def call jobs nd and ask em who will hire and inexperianced driver as thats another option

Last edited by ground_pounder; 08-04-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:43 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Paul View Post
Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well. It feels like its been a hundred years since I last posted, so much has happened since the first time I came on here asking for advice. I bought an 04 Volvo with a 475 HP Cummins in it. I drove it home from Ohio to NY and I have to say it was was the nicest ride I ever had in a truck. Of course I was bobtail but let me tell you that thing has BALLS. That might not be saying much coming from me though, I'm used to governed company trucks. I have just about everything lined up at this point. Just waiting for my authority to finally come through which should be any day now. I really can't wait to get working and the company I'm going to be running for has been tellng me I need to get rolling ASAP. Anyway, I already have one small issue (hopefully small) that requires help from you guys as usual. Apparently after bringing the truck home I didn't slam the door hard enough and the battery died. How do I go about putting a charge on it? Is there any way I can do that with a pick up truck or maybe a couple cars at the same time or will I have to call a local diesel shop and have them send someone out to jump it for me? I feel pretty naive and stupid asking and I realize its something I should know. I just never had a reason to know it until now. Also, my truck has a bunch of chicken lights on it that the previous owner installed. As luck would have it, they do not work. From what I understand, if you have any extra lights on your truck they need to be working even though they're extra. I think I found whats wrong with them but I'm not totally sure how I should proceed. It appears that where two electrical lines for the chicken lights meet has a lot of corrosion and it just broke the connection, if that makes any sense. I'm not sure how else to phrase it. The area thats corroded looks like two little plastic cups that plug in together. If you guys don't understand me I'll take some pictures in the morning.

As always your help is hugely appreciated. You guys really have been great.
Any updates?? How are things going??
Old 02-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Board Regular

Must be going well... busy truckers dont spend much time on boards (except gman thank god). This guy seemed to have his stuff together and realise it was a business first.