User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 12:44 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I loved autoshifts from the first time I ever drove one. People carry on about their manuals but having an autoshift allows you to pay more attention to your driving and reduce your risk of having an accident big time. I know nothing about the costs of repairing or fixing one but I have been told that they're just as reliable if not more reliable than a manual. Being that it's entirely computerized and shifts perfectly every single time there's much less strain on the transmission and all that. Do you guys know anything about programming your truck to get better mileage? I was reading something about that on another board and everyone was raving about it. Also, can you explain to me the point of fuel cards and why I might want one and maybe which I should get? On my route the only big truck stop I'll be passing is Pilot.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:28 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some people like autoshift and others don't. I think it has more to do with where you drive. Those who drive in a lot of stop and go traffic will probably like them more than those doing cross country or mountains. I knew a driver who always went through his gears manually, even though he had an autoshift. He just couldn't give up his manual shift. I am sure that you can alter the programming to the type of driving you do so that the transmission shifts more appropriately. The primary factor in fuel mileage is the driver. I don't know if there is anything that can be done programming wise that will improve your fuel economy. Keeping your speed down and maintaining a constant speed will help mileage more than probably any other factors. You may also change your gear ratios, but that can get expensive. The type of terrain and loads will also factor in to your fuel mileage.

Most carriers issue fuel cards to drivers and owner operators who lease to them. Using fuel cards serves several purposes. First, it is a good way to easily track expenses and drivers. Although your fuel tickets are usually not time stamped, the carrier can check the time and location each time your card is used. It tells the carrier who used the card, truck number, driver, time and place. Before fuel cards we had to take cash to pay for fuel and road expenses. Fuel was less than 10% of what we spend today. If a driver needed more money then the carrier had to wire additional funds via Western Union. Fuel cards also enable carriers to get fuel discounts using their economies of scale or buying power. Most who use owner operators will receive part or all of the discount which helps lower fuel costs and increases profitability. One other factor is that it helps to keep track of fuel taxes much easier than only relying on fuel receipts. The carrier can print out reports which lists fuel purchases by driver, truck or the fleet. Reports can usually be printed for the week, month, quarter or annually. Many carriers will give fuel advances to drivers and owner operators through their fuel cards. Most will pay drivers and owner operators their settlements either direct deposit or fuel card. Some have a separate fuel card for fuel and expenses and another for the settlement. It is just another tool that helps carriers to better manage their businesses.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most carriers use Comdata. There are several other major fuel cards, such as T Check, EFS and TCH. Most use one of these, but there are a few others such as Wright. At one time Comdata was probably the most widely accepted. The others that I mentioned currently are widely accepted. All charge a set up fee, if you are the account holder, and then a transaction fee each time the card is used.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:43 AM
Rookie

So, which do you think would be best for me? I'd like one where I can get something back from it, you know? I was reading on another forum about a driver who got two vacations to Hawaii in one year but that kind of sounded like bull**** to me.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:58 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have not heard of anyone getting free trips through any of the fuel cards. American Express had a program where you could accumulate points that could be used for travel. I met a guy who took a trip around the world with all of his points. I don't remember if they still have that program. Other credit cards may also have programs, but you will usually increase your fuel costs using a regular credit card.

I don't understand why you only want to fuel at Pilot, but if they are your stop of choice and you want to get your own fuel card, then you may want to look into opening an account with TAB (Transportation Alliance Bank). At one time the bank was owned by Flying J. They cater to the trucking industry. TAB offers a Mastercard debit card that works like a TCH card at most fuel stops so that you can get the cash price at most fuel stops. If you fuel at Pilot or Flying J you receive $0.02/gallon on any fuel purchases. Anywhere else you can use it like a credit or debit card for other purchases. There are no transactions fees with the PDCA card, either. That can save $2.00 or more per fuel purchase. They have both credit and debit cards. I would recommend the debit card for fuel purchases. You can fund it with any of the major fuel cards or checks, direct deposit, wire transfers, etc., TChecks, Comchecks and TCH checks can be called in over the phone or you can deposit them over the internet and they will be in your account in minutes. I believe their address is www.tabbank.com. You may also be able to pick up an application at any Flying J or Pilot. It is called a PDCA Card. It stands for Professional Driver Carrier Association. I believe that you can also get some discounts on tire purchases if you use the card. The PDCA card doesn't offer the reports that the regular fuel cards utilize, but it is much more flexible. For the single truck operator it is a good way to track road expenses if used as a separate account. You can also use the account to write checks, pay bills online, etc. The fuel cards are primarly used for fuel purchases and as a means to cover breakdown expenses. If you strictly want a fuel card, then I like TCH. They all do the same thing. As I recall, the transaction fees are lower than with the other cards. Next to TCH I like Comdata. But, the PDCA card may be used as a TCH card, but doesn't offer the reports that breakdown all expenses.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Rookie

Oh no, I don't care where I fuel. I'm going to fuel where ever it's cheapest. I was just saying that Pilot is the only big truck stop along my route. I really appreciate the information, you've been really helpful
Old 07-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Senior Board Member

what i do is a lot of places now are giving cash prices while using debit as long as you ask. if you want to use points american express is the best. personally i rather use cash the credit.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
You can always drive the truck for a few months until you can save to have it painted. Just put a big "T" on the side and people will think that you are a Tennessee Vol fan.
GMAN, what part of Tennessee you from? Any experience with Mason-Dixon, CRST Malone, or Universal Am-Can? I am looking into getting my CDL and would be looking to be based out of the Nashville area. My wife's hometown is in Fairview, and we have been looking at a few houses in the Dickson area.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Rookie

Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well. It feels like its been a hundred years since I last posted, so much has happened since the first time I came on here asking for advice. I bought an 04 Volvo with a 475 HP Cummins in it. I drove it home from Ohio to NY and I have to say it was was the nicest ride I ever had in a truck. Of course I was bobtail but let me tell you that thing has BALLS. That might not be saying much coming from me though, I'm used to governed company trucks. I have just about everything lined up at this point. Just waiting for my authority to finally come through which should be any day now. I really can't wait to get working and the company I'm going to be running for has been tellng me I need to get rolling ASAP. Anyway, I already have one small issue (hopefully small) that requires help from you guys as usual. Apparently after bringing the truck home I didn't slam the door hard enough and the battery died. How do I go about putting a charge on it? Is there any way I can do that with a pick up truck or maybe a couple cars at the same time or will I have to call a local diesel shop and have them send someone out to jump it for me? I feel pretty naive and stupid asking and I realize its something I should know. I just never had a reason to know it until now. Also, my truck has a bunch of chicken lights on it that the previous owner installed. As luck would have it, they do not work. From what I understand, if you have any extra lights on your truck they need to be working even though they're extra. I think I found whats wrong with them but I'm not totally sure how I should proceed. It appears that where two electrical lines for the chicken lights meet has a lot of corrosion and it just broke the connection, if that makes any sense. I'm not sure how else to phrase it. The area thats corroded looks like two little plastic cups that plug in together. If you guys don't understand me I'll take some pictures in the morning.

As always your help is hugely appreciated. You guys really have been great.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Paul View Post
I bought an 04 Volvo
I guess it's too late for me to recommend that you go back and read no_worries' post again LOL.

Quote:
Is there any way I can do that with a pick up truck
Yeah I've don that lots. It just takes a long time. If yo buy one of those big ass AC booster chargers on wheels with a 40 or 60 amp boost charge that will get it fired up right away.

Quote:
Also, my truck has a bunch of chicken lights on it that the previous owner installed. As luck would have it, they do not work.
I guess it's too late for me to recommend that you go back and read no_worries' post again LOL.

Quote:
From what I understand, if you have any extra lights on your truck they need to be working even though they're extra
Yep. A good thing to keep in mind when you get the urge to add more lights.

Quote:
I think I found whats wrong with them but I'm not totally sure how I should proceed. It appears that where two electrical lines for the chicken lights meet has a lot of corrosion and it just broke the connection....... looks like two little plastic cups that plug in together.
Sounds like someone used bullet connectors on your truck. They have no place on a truck IMO. Cut the connectors out, remove any multiple splices by running a new wire, strip the wires, slide a piece of shrink tube over the wire, twist the wires together, solder the connection, shrink the tube, flip the switch and when they still don't work, get out your meter and keep looking.

Good luck. I hate changing trucks. After 6 years, I'm still tweaking the one I have. I'd hate to start the process all over again.