User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelmanmase View Post
So what i'm reading is your rebate is 20-30 dollars a month. you pay a 1 dollar transaction fee every swipe? Did you break even then or lose money? Think about it geezzzzzzz
Maybe because i'm "stupid immigrant" i was not clear: $1 transaction fee every swipe AND 20-30 dollars saving on that swipe. Usualy i swipe 3 times per week, 12 per month on average, so loosing $12 per month + $4 for card fees. Saving ~$20-30 per single fill up equals to about $300 per month in savings. Geezzzz
Old 10-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some of the major broker/carriers offer fuel cards with discounts to carriers who do business with them. Landstar, Bennett, Schneider, JB Hunt and Mercer all have fuel cards that you can use to purchase fuel and not have to worry about the set up fee. Landstar offers the same discount as their owner operators receive. Mercer has $0.10/gallon. I don't recall what Bennett offers. It might be a better way to go if you only have one or two trucks.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Some of the major broker/carriers offer fuel cards with discounts to carriers who do business with them. Landstar, Bennett, Schneider, JB Hunt and Mercer all have fuel cards that you can use to purchase fuel and not have to worry about the set up fee. Landstar offers the same discount as their owner operators receive. Mercer has $0.10/gallon. I don't recall what Bennett offers. It might be a better way to go if you only have one or two trucks.
I think RTS has something that is pretty decent as well. I glanced at what they have to offer, but stayed with what I have because I'm happy there.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The downside to using a fuel card supplied by any of the major broker/carriers is that it will have their name on the receipt and you won't have the controls that you have with your own card. Still, you can enjoy fuel savings that you may not be able to get on your own.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Senior Board Member

what controls are you talking about? Do they only put money on the card for a load with them?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon View Post
what controls are you talking about? Do they only put money on the card for a load with them?

If you use a fuel card from someone such as Bennett or Landstar, etc., they will put your settlement on the fuel card rather than mailing a check or doing a direct deposit to your bank account. You can use the card for fuel or anything else you wish. If you have drivers and use the card, they can also use the card to buy what they want as along as the merchant accepts the card. Those who do advances may also make a deposit on a comcard for those advances. Only the owner or the fuel card can load it. In other words, the only way to put money on the card is to haul a load for the broker or carrier. You cannot load the card yourself.

With your own fuel card, you can load it as you wish. You control how many gallons or dollars that a driver may spend in a day or week, etc., You decide whether the driver may use the card to purchase oil, antifreeze or other products on their assigned card. You can put safeguards in place to help reduce fraud by anyone other than the driver. You can go online and see where the driver made purchases and know where he is located or was at the time of the purchase. You can also allow him to get cash advances or not on the card. Having your own card will also allow you to print out fuel reports by state, truck or driver. Smaller carriers may not be able to receive much in the way of discounts with their own card.

Most card issuers charge a fee each time you use the card. A card that is issued by one of the broker/carriers is like a debit card. You cannot get money unless the broker/carrier has deposited money on the card. If you have your own card, it may be a debit or credit card. If you have good credit you may qualify for a credit card. You can charge up to the credit limit assigned, but they will debit your checking account each week for purchases. Only having a week is not much time and that would be similiar to a debit card, but could help if cash is tight as long as you know that your money will be in the bank when they do the debit.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyeyes View Post
Maybe because i'm "stupid immigrant" i was not clear.....
You write better than some of the native English speakers on here, and assuming that English is not your first or only language, you are doing better than me. Me, I used to do a little Puerto Rican, but there’s no need to bring my ex-wife into this

Here's the link to RTS. Fuel Discount Program | RTS Financial. If I remember correctly, you were looking for a credit reporting service anyway in another post. RTS is one of the two credit reporting agencies I use, and if you factor your loads, they do that too, though I wouldn't know anything about the factoring side of things.

Last edited by Musicman; 11-08-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Friggin' typooooos
Old 11-09-2011, 03:03 AM

RTS has some great discounts. If anyone wants to see the current pricing, shoot me an e-mail and I will send it to you.

-scott
Old 11-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Rookie

Here is a good article on using company fuel cards.
http://www.landlinemag.com/Archives/...tures/I376.htm