User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 02:22 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

What about cash? Are there any fuel cards that beat the cash price?
Old 06-29-2011, 02:43 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are cards that offer different ways of getting a discount. TA has a cash plus program at some locations through Comdata. You usually need to lease to one of the major carriers or have one of the fuel cards that are tied to one of the major brokers. The cash plus is what that location pays for the fuel from their distributor plus the mark up rate. Some can get as much as $0.50/gallon discount. Brokers usually don't give that much of a discount to carriers who broker freight with them and use their fuel card. Most of them keep part of the discount as their profit. Most of the fuel cards that offer a discount is off the cash price. But, you will usually have a transaction fee every time you use their card. For the small carrier I like TCH. If you get one of the PDCA cards from Transportation Alliance Bank, it is treated like a TCH card when you buy fuel but there is no transaction fee. As I think I stated in an earlier post, Flying J and Pilot will give you the cash price plus a discount on fuel purchases if you use the PDCA card. It is a debit card tied to Master Card so you can use it for any purchases. It helps to track road expenses. I think they also offer a regular Mastercard. www.tabbank.com is their website.

The way the fuel cards work is that they want you to pay them weekly. You can either get a credit line with the issuer or put cash into the account and when it gets below a certain level you will need to transfer additional funds into the account.

Most of the fuel card companies are owned by major banks. Most will charge you a set up fee when you first open your account. The main thing that I like about using a fuel card is the reporting. Most of them will allow you to break down fuel purchases by the state which helps do your IFTA quarterly returns.

Most carriers will use one of the following fuel cards: Comdata, EFS, T-Check, TCH or Fleetone.

Last edited by GMAN; 06-29-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylamar View Post
What about cash? Are there any fuel cards that beat the cash price?
My Discount for the month of June was almost $2k for 4 trucks, that's calculated off of cash price. EVERYONE that is purchsing their own fuel should be involved in a fuel discount program. It is free money!! I had several fill ups this week that were less than $3.50/gal. The cheapest was $3.37/gal. My average fuel price for the month was $3.63

Good Luck!
-scott
Old 07-10-2011, 05:01 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrissel View Post
My Discount for the month of June was almost $2k for 4 trucks, that's calculated off of cash price. EVERYONE that is purchsing their own fuel should be involved in a fuel discount program. It is free money!! I had several fill ups this week that were less than $3.50/gal. The cheapest was $3.37/gal. My average fuel price for the month was $3.63
To reiterate what Scott has said, the NASTC / Fleet One program is pretty hard to beat. So far this year, with just one truck I've purchased 9454.56 gallons at a total cost of $34,165.63. Cash pump price would have totaled $36,232.09, so I’ve saved $2,066.46. Not to mention zero card use fee per transaction (TCH last I used it was $1.80 per purchase) AND the additional savings I’ve reaped by making my fueling decisions with the knowledge of what both today’s price will be and tomorrow’s price will be at each fuel stop in the network (TA, Petro, Ambest and a bunch of independents). I’ve been with NASTC for over 16 months and my only regret is that I didn’t find it sooner.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Rookie

Hey check this out....I got a call about a Diesel Advantage Fleet card 3wks ago. The guy told me he will save me ten cents on every gallon I purchase at there locations, I said yeah sure where the heck are your locations Mr. Johnson said, ARCO,PILOT,LOVES,PETRO,T/A,SINCLAIR. And Shell, Chev/Tex, Exxon,Mobile,Conoco,BP. ect. He said no fee's no contracts, Oh and no start up Fee's either.I doubted him but filled out the Application and what do you know no fee's, And I even get 30% off any Maintenance Supply's And I got ten cents off at A shell station the other day in IL. 2 DAYS AGO. HIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS [email protected] ask for Atten. Mr.Johnson.....he will save you cash. The card only pays cash price and 10 cents off....no transaction fee's or any other.

Last edited by fuelmanmase; 09-14-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelmanmase View Post
Hey check this out....I got a call about a Diesel Advantage Fleet card 3wks ago. The guy told me he will save me ten cents on every gallon I purchase at there locations, I said yeah sure where the heck are your locations Mr. Johnson said, ARCO,PILOT,LOVES,PETRO,T/A,SINCLAIR. And Shell, Chev/Tex, Exxon,Mobile,Conoco,BP. ect. He said no fee's no contracts, Oh and no start up Fee's either.I doubted him but filled out the Application and what do you know no fee's, And I even get 30% off any Maintenance Supply's And I got ten cents off at A shell station the other day in IL. 2 DAYS AGO. HIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS [email protected] ask for Atten. Mr.Johnson.....he will save you cash. The card only pays cash price and 10 cents off....no transaction fee's or any other.
LOL......can we say........SPAM?

Fuelman Diesel Advantage Fleet Card | Diesel Fuel Cards | FleetCards USA
Old 09-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Rookie
Default Spam??? Savings!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just a guy trying to save US TRUCKERS some money. I have been reading the threads and WE need something here, Atleast Cash Price!!!! These guys are giving me ten cents off a gallon. With no b.s. minimum or maximum gallons.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Rookie
Default Reply to savings with mc

So what i'm reading is your rebate is 20-30 dollars a month. you pay a 1 dollar transaction fee every swipe? Did you break even then or lose money? Think about it geezzzzzzz
Old 10-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelmanmase View Post
I'm just a guy trying to save US TRUCKERS some money. I have been reading the threads and WE need something here, Atleast Cash Price!!!! These guys are giving me ten cents off a gallon. With no b.s. minimum or maximum gallons.
So far this year with my one truck and my NASTC discount:

Total Card Fees: $0
Gallons: 15,356.466
Total Cost Pump Price: $61,413.99
Total Cost Discounted Price: $58,289.11
Total Discount: $3,124.88
Average Discount per Gallon: $0.20348952682212

No minimum purchase, no maximum purchase, no time limits.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Oh, and I left out the part about how, by 10am or so, I know what the prices will be the following day and I know what they will be all weekend by Friday morning. There's also a guaranteed maximum price, meaning that for the rare situation where pump prices drop to below your discount price after it is set for the day, you are still guaranteed a one to five cent discount off that price as well. It doesn’t happen often, but depending on what wholesale prices are doing and what that particular retail market is doing, it can happen, especially on the weekend.