User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

If your bound and bent to be in debt up to your ass then at least get an aluminum one. Nobody in Ontario or the northern states are buying steel trailers because of the rust issues. Wilson makes all aluminum trailers too. Get what you need not what they're trying to dump off on you.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:10 PM

I absolutely love following Tracer and his travels but if any of you have not figured it out yet, he is not going to heed your advice. If you follow him here or on his blog he seems hell bent on being in debt. I hope it works out for him in the end one of these days but it seems he is content to simply finance things and tread water. He was warned about using crazy specs and having that custom brand new step built, he did it anyway. Got tired of tarping and just had to have that expensive custom made conestoga that people said was not a good idea. He did that and now its setting in storage and now he is hell bent on speccing out another brand new trailer. And correct me if i am wrong but is this trailer not going to get turned upside and rolled into the trade? And I recently even saw you make mention on your blog not to long ago about brand new trucks. Man you gotta get smarter with htis stuff. I wish you all of the luck in the world and you are a very interesting subject to follow but man oh man, Its frustrating to watch as well. Listen to some of these guys, they have been right for the most part on every piece of advice they have given you.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Senior Board Member

I wish you would have bot a 53'.....I could've made you a good offer on it. How much are they giving you for the step on?
Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialkay View Post
If your bound and bent to be in debt up to your ass then at least get an aluminum one. Nobody in Ontario or the northern states are buying steel trailers because of the rust issues. Wilson makes all aluminum trailers too. Get what you need not what they're trying to dump off on you.
An all aluminum flat (same model) is extra $6000.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 03-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
I wish you would have bot a 53'.....I could've made you a good offer on it. How much are they giving you for the step on?
Probably 25K in trade. Dealer said the retail value should be around 27K. I still have the Conestoga for it too...

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Senior Board Member

I would look at an EAST. If they make their flats anything like their dump trailers then it would be one hell of a trailer.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 03-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Senior Board Member

[ATTACH=CONFIG]709[/ATTACH]

Click on the picture above and you'll see an example of my typical (not so typical in some respects) freight. This time I got light posts, 50 ft long, 27,000 lbs total. I AM hauling them on my step, but it'd be much easier and less stressful to carry them on a flat. By the way, this baby pays over 3 bucks per mile from Oklahoma to Alberta. So you cannot do it on a regular flat: you need either a 72" axle spread or a tridem. That's why I'm spec'ing a front axle slider.

In response to folks who hate leasing and financing: either you use new stuff and make payments for it or you use junk with no payments but then you have to take out a mortgage on your house each April when taxes are due. With my truck paid off and the $32,750 LEASED trailer, I'd be able to write off $10,000 in taxes during the first year. The payments are going to be the same or lower per month, but I'll get a much more useful trailer. The lease is structured in a way that I buy the trailer back at the end for $1. It WILL be mine.

I'm also getting rid of my apartment and that will improve my cashflow by almost $1,000 each month. Next in line is the car that is costing me $600/mo.

I know what I'm doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-03-09_10-33-35_839.jpg (95.1 KB, 38 views)

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 03-09-2011, 08:15 PM

Am i just completely clueless and off base when i ask why would you have to go broke and mortgage your home every april at tax time to pay the taxes? Shouldnt you be anticipating the cost of your taxes throughout the year and stashing some back into your savings or business account to cover this every year if you do end up having to pay? Im not an owner yet but I kind of just figured you would need to set aside money for taxes every settlement just like you would for maintenance or anything else involved in the cost of operation? Am i wrong or just missing something?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:37 PM
crb
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I see guys hauling loads like that all the time on a step they use a bridge or whatever its calle on lower declared to even them. What happened to hauling equipment?
Old 03-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerbomber3.0 View Post
Am i just completely clueless and off base when i ask why would you have to go broke and mortgage your home every april at tax time to pay the taxes? Shouldnt you be anticipating the cost of your taxes throughout the year and stashing some back into your savings or business account to cover this every year if you do end up having to pay? Im not an owner yet but I kind of just figured you would need to set aside money for taxes every settlement just like you would for maintenance or anything else involved in the cost of operation? Am i wrong or just missing something?
I put $500 each week into my savings. I use ATBS for my accounting and pay their estimated quarterly taxes, which is about $2500, then once my final return is completed, I pay that. This year I paid $7800 so far, and going to owe $0

So now I get to decide what I want to spend the $12k I still have in my savings. Most likely gonna just keep it un there tho just in case the new rig takes a crap.