Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   That's it! I'm getting a flat... (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/41031-thats-im-getting-flat.html)

tracer 03-09-2011 12:34 AM

That's it! I'm getting a flat...

I'm trading up my 48 ft super-ultra-extra-uber low step for a flat. Here's the highlights of my future 'skateboard':

Make: Wilson
Model: CF-965 (heavy duty coil hauler)
Length: 48 ft
Width: 102"
Beam capacity: 65,000 lbs in 4 ft of deck's length; 67K in 10 ft; 73K in 20 ft
Fifth wheel height: 45"
Axles: tandem with a front axle slider; 121" and 72" position; the rear axle is at the very back (72" is legal in Western Canada; plus it gives you same weight rating in Ontario as 121"; good for tires and fuel mileage).
Kingpin: 30" (standard)
Composition: combo (steel frame + aluminum top)
Floor: 1 3/8" aluminum with 4 nailers (they now offer thicker floor; it was 1 5/16" before).
Wheels: aluminum, 22.5"
Tires: Yokohama RY023 295/75R22.5
Securement devices: in-rail chain tiedowns + quick tie-down plates (newly designed rail)
Winches: new design, where they don't scratch the heck out of the side of the trailer
Lights: 5 on each side (including the turn signal)
Tool boxes: 1 dunnage rack (10' long)
Approximate weight: 10,700 lbs
Price FOB Missouri: US$33,750

Orangetxguy 03-09-2011 01:10 AM

Dat'z a loooooooong wayz from being an RGN or lowboy!

crb 03-09-2011 03:25 AM

Maybe you should pur a Conestoga (curtain) kit on it too! :) only five lights you need more chicken lights!

Mackman 03-09-2011 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 495019)

I bet after 2 montsh he is on here saying. Hey guys i bought this flat and was thinking of trading it for a Lowboy. lol

Steel Horse Cowboy 03-09-2011 12:08 PM

I really think you should wait and go to MATS at the end of this month can go check out the hundreds of trailer vendors before you make a purchase. Not to mention the show specials and discounts.

specialkay 03-09-2011 12:26 PM

There are so many used flats for sale in Ontario I wouldn't even consider buying a new one. At Christmas a 05 MAC/side kit/michelins/good brakes/coil kit/extra led lights etc went for 15 grand. They're giving away plain jane combo's. Buy a cheap one and keep your drop.

monale770 03-09-2011 01:01 PM

yup thats what i would do, i would get a flay and keep the step. that way you will have the best of both worlds. i would also look into a mac trailer, there a very good trailer, their built in ohio, strong and light weight, and some pretty cheep ones online. and dont go and buy another brand new trailer, save money and buy a used one, the used one will do the same thing as a new one, but cheeper.

tracer 03-09-2011 01:34 PM

Guys, I'm TRADING the step. I'm not paying the full price for the flat. It's still financed through the same financial company. My monthly payments now actually will be smaller because the trailer is CHEAPER in Cnd Dollars thanks to the very favorable exchange rate and plus it's a cheaper trailer. If I had 20K cash, I'd definitely buy a used flat. I looked carefully into RGNs and such, and I'd love to pull them. Unfortunately I didn't see the amount of freight on LS boards that would justify the switch. You look at our board for 5 minutes and you see right away the best trailer to go across the border is a FLAT or - possibly - a 53 ft step. The step is $7,000 more for the same loads (90% flatbed loads). It doesn't make sense from the financial standpoint.

tracer 03-09-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy (Post 495019)

it'll have low radius tires and my fifth wheel is only 45.5" high. i bet when it's dark it WILL look like a lowboy ;)

Steel Horse Cowboy 03-09-2011 01:41 PM

The dealer and financial company will roll the difference between the two trailers into your new payment. Also, isn't the step a lease? So u won't own it anyways when your lease is up.

At least come to the Louisville truck show and talk directly with the Wilson rep and see what they have to offer and any discounts u can get. And personally, I'd get a Retinour