User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2011, 12:45 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobytob View Post
@ chris and Orangetxguy. I'll tell you how I put an extra 2000 miles on that load. The route from Orondo,WA was suppose to go across I90 to I29 down to I70 and over to I55, I think that what it called for. Instead I ran I84 to I80 back over to I25 down to I70 down to US287 over to OKC and I40 across to memphis. This was def out of route, but it was either that or run into some snow storms and road closers.

Thats not the problem here, The problem is the amount of money being paid to the leased drivers. The explanation we received was that the company is getting the loads anywhere from $1.60 to $2. BS. I've been told by the owner himself that he won't pull any cheap freight. Well $1.70 is cheap once you have to pay %71 percent to your O/O.

I know this because I talk to Independent that run the same lanes we run. They use the same brokers and customers we use, I've seen their freight bills and they clear $2 a mi on these loads.

Listen, I deal with customers on a daily basis, people on the inside of this industry and anyone who thinks these loads are paying less than $2 a mile is crazy.. Ask any broker, better yet go straight to a customer traffic department and ask them how much these brokers bid on these loads. I guarantee they don't bid any less than $3 a mile. I understand that they are suppose to get a cut, but to run the drivers into the ground and not pay them is ludacris.

FYI, I'm in the process of setting up my own authority, So I will cut the middle man out, here pretty soon. My point is these companies r full of S***, if they think these o/o are stupid enough to believe the the rates they are charging. Some are but Not this one..

*** LOADS from cali to Bronx, NY pay $8G. I know Indy's that get that in their sleep. Was offered a load from cali to hunts point from my company for $5600, I LAUGHED IN HIS FACE AND SAID NO THANKS YOU CAN KEEP THAT CHEAP SNIT...

Look. I appreciate that you are mad about your revenue. If you were to talk with MY terminal manager....my regional manager....and the corporate "Retention and Recruitment" manager.....all three of them will happily tell you that they are sick and tired of my big butt standing on their shoulders, pulling on their hair...and screaming into their ears that I am sick and tired of being broke. They can only blame so much on the economy.

Now.....the route you ran from Orondo......I checked it before I posted the miles to your thread....simply because that is basicly the route I would have chosen for myself. I might have run I-90 across into Montana, dropped down I-15 to Pocotello and then hooked across US30 to Little America...but all in all...it still only adds 340 odd miles onto that particular leg.
See......I'm not afraid of hills......I grew up in Montana so I deal with hills and snow rather handily. Stop signs don't bother me to much either. ALL of those are what keep the "Super Truckers" on the big roads.
Now...I pull tanks and know squat about reefer freight (except knowing that I will not pull reefers)......but No-worries does know that freight....and you can see what he posted to you. IF you are pulling "brokered freight" more than you are pulling "direct bill" freight....then YOU get less revenue....THAT MUCH I know.

Good luck with your own authority. It can be fun.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Thats not the problem here, The problem is the amount of money being paid to the leased drivers. The explanation we received was that the company is getting the loads anywhere from $1.60 to $2. BS. I've been told by the owner himself that he won't pull any cheap freight. Well $1.70 is cheap once you have to pay %71 percent to your O/O.

I know this because I talk to Independent that run the same lanes we run. They use the same brokers and customers we use, I've seen their freight bills and they clear $2 a mi on these loads.

Listen, I deal with customers on a daily basis, people on the inside of this industry and anyone who thinks these loads are paying less than $2 a mile is crazy.. Ask any broker, better yet go straight to a customer traffic department and ask them how much these brokers bid on these loads. I guarantee they don't bid any less than $3 a mile. I understand that they are suppose to get a cut, but to run the drivers into the ground and not pay them is ludacris.

*** LOADS from cali to Bronx, NY pay $8G. I know Indy's that get that in their sleep. Was offered a load from cali to hunts point from my company for $5600, I LAUGHED IN HIS FACE AND SAID NO THANKS YOU CAN KEEP THAT CHEAP SNIT...
Some guys are getting CA to The city for those rates year-round...but they're very few; working for small wholesalers generally. The great majority of produce is bought by the big boys and they don't pay those rates year-round...they know they don't have to. Besides, CA to NY is pretty much the highest priced lane you'll find and that's not the lane you're talking about. Surely you don't thing West Coast to Memphis is going to pay anywhere near as much as NYC, even on a per mile basis. Several months out of the year, you can throw a dart and hit $3/mile from CA to WA; January isn't one of them and THIS January in particular has been slow for freight out of CA. By the same token, eastbound freight out of the NW is almost always significantly less than out of CA; there are a few exceptions but they are short and, again, not in January. Apples are probably the highest tonnage product shipped out of the NW and I know some muckety-mucks at some of the biggest shippers. They don't pay anywhere near $3/mile ever and certainly not $2/mile year-round. I also know several brokers...not guys I haul for, just friends. If they were bidding $3 mile on regular lanes year-round, they'd be out of business.

Bottom line, the numbers your boss gave you pretty much match mine. Sounds like they have you pulling spot market freight and not direct. Nobody pulling standard van/reefer/flat is averaging $3/mile and I'll bet very few with 1000+ average length of haul are averaging $2/mile.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

If you talked to these independent O/O's and they are getting 2.00 p/m what makes you think your company is getting 3.00 p/m? If you're pulling reefer you would be lucky to get 3.00 p/m out of the NW to TN at the height of shrubbery season. And that would be with multiple PU/Drops.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries View Post
Some guys are getting CA to The city for those rates year-round...but they're very few; working for small wholesalers generally. The great majority of produce is bought by the big boys and they don't pay those rates year-round...they know they don't have to. Besides, CA to NY is pretty much the highest priced lane you'll find and that's not the lane you're talking about. Surely you don't thing West Coast to Memphis is going to pay anywhere near as much as NYC, even on a per mile basis. Several months out of the year, you can throw a dart and hit $3/mile from CA to WA; January isn't one of them and THIS January in particular has been slow for freight out of CA. By the same token, eastbound freight out of the NW is almost always significantly less than out of CA; there are a few exceptions but they are short and, again, not in January. Apples are probably the highest tonnage product shipped out of the NW and I know some muckety-mucks at some of the biggest shippers. They don't pay anywhere near $3/mile ever and certainly not $2/mile year-round. I also know several brokers...not guys I haul for, just friends. If they were bidding $3 mile on regular lanes year-round, they'd be out of business.

Bottom line, the numbers your boss gave you pretty much match mine. Sounds like they have you pulling spot market freight and not direct. Nobody pulling standard van/reefer/flat is averaging $3/mile and I'll bet very few with 1000+ average length of haul are averaging $2/mile.
This is my point exactly, Companies will pay what they want instead of Trucking companies charging what right. I don"t see anyone telling the electrician or plumber how much they will pay him for a job. Trucking is the only industry where Companies settle for what they can get. I don"t understand it. I'm not saying that these loads back to memphis or the middle of the country pay the same as the east coast freight, but lets be sensible here. If you can get any $8G to Hunts point and $9500 to boston market and $7G to MD,then why shouldn't I believe you are @least getting $3500 to Memphis. Come On. Common sense tell you that.

These big Companies are paying, just ask the guys running up and down the road in the Big shinny KW/Pete's with stainless steel trailers and all the chicken lights. If you can catch them, ask what kind of rates they're getting, I bet s/he wont even move the truck for less than $2.25 a mile (this is a cheap rate to them) and it better be going to a place where s/he can get a good reload. I really don't care what time of year it is and where its coming from. If you want it you should pay for it. Simple as that.

I could understand the rates dropping in the summer because the weather is nice and roads are generally great in some places, but to send a driver up into Northwest to get a load and now s/he has to fight the road conditions all the way back across should equal more money. Simple as that. (The plumber runs into a problem when fixing your pipes, guess what he charges you for it.) If it takes longer he charges you for it. This is my thought process... You pay for a good service, even with competition..

Fuel is almost $4 a gallon and rates are $1.50, LMAO COME ON. Look, If a one can't survive on those rates, what makes you think a guy with 100 trucks is going to survive. Operating cost are thru the roof, now a days. All I'm saying is Be smart about this No way Companies are surviving like that. The # just don't add up..

I'm not saying that I don't agree with you guys, everyone here has a valid point, I'm just stating the fact that something has to change. If we want this industry to prosper we have to take it back. Stop letting the middleman dictate you lively hood. What other business do you know of where People who don't do the work dictate the money the entrepreneur can receive. It's not right!!!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Senior Board Member

I was able to get $1.75 from LA to Chicago all day long with Schneider as a lease operator.... and that was YEAR ROUND
Old 02-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
I was able to get $1.75 from LA to Chicago all day long with Schneider as a lease operator.... and that was YEAR ROUND
That was the money end of the run...and L.A. Big difference between van freight in SoCal and the NW for most of the year. How much did the round average?

As for shiny Pete's and trailers...I wouldn't use that as a gauge to determine who is making the money in this biz. Get your authority, it's good experience and sounds like you won't be happy until you try it. Just be prepared for a reality check.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
That was the money end of the run...and L.A. Big difference between van freight in SoCal and the NW for most of the year. How much did the round average?

As for shiny Pete's and trailers...I wouldn't use that as a gauge to determine who is making the money in this biz. Get your authority, it's good experience and sounds like you won't be happy until you try it. Just be prepared for a reality check.
This was when i was leased to them last year. I ran from Chicago to Ontario, CA with 28k of cereal and came back with 38k of P&G freight. Load out paid $1.39 and load back paid $1.75..... and that was pulling their ugly orange trailers LOL

A lot of people don't realize how well SNI % program pays, and you are running POWER ONLY. Once you learn the routes and nitches of where the good loads go and come, you can clear $2500 a week bring home easily and be home on the weekend. I liked it, just got a better offer and took it. I may go back one day in the future tho as I liked picking where I wanted to go. Usually every Monday they had a load from West Chicago going to NJ that paid $2200 to the truck. I would do that and bobtail back to Chicago and do 1 more local $400 run to cover my fuel back

Last edited by Steel Horse Cowboy; 02-04-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:

Reality Check, Lmao. I'm as real as it gets trust me. Not using shinny KW/Petes as a gauge, just telling you what i see and hear from these guy and gals running up and down the road. Money is there for those that want to seek it. To each it own...

@ Steel Horse Cowboy, If you were getting $1.39 and $1.75 a mile just imagine how much SNI made off that load before they posted that rate, trust me it was def cut before you were paid those rate. It common practice in this business.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
This was when i was leased to them last year. I ran from Chicago to Ontario, CA with 28k of cereal and came back with 38k of P&G freight. Load out paid $1.39 and load back paid $1.75..... and that was pulling their ugly orange trailers LOL

A lot of people don't realize how well SNI % program pays, and you are running POWER ONLY. Once you learn the routes and nitches of where the good loads go and come, you can clear $2500 a week bring home easily and be home on the weekend. I liked it, just got a better offer and took it. I may go back one day in the future tho as I liked picking where I wanted to go. Usually every Monday they had a load from West Chicago going to NJ that paid $2200 to the truck. I would do that and bobtail back to Chicago and do 1 more local $400 run to cover my fuel back
Steel Horse Cowboy, I tried to look up the load board and did not find it, do you have to sign up for it or how do you see it?
Old 02-05-2011, 03:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rick View Post
Steel Horse Cowboy, I tried to look up the load board and did not find it, do you have to sign up for it or how do you see it?
You have to be leased to Schneider to look at their load board.