User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
The more specialized you get, the more the agents will be calling you. Low trailers, long trailers, levelers, tarps, TWIC, oversize ready, cross border ready, cross dock capability, storage......wait a minute....that is me.
That's not specializing, that's covering ALL types of freight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
Are you having a van day again?
Hauling machinery (parts of snow plows) to Calgary, AB. No tarp All trailers (flats, steps) here either have a 72" closed tandem, or a tridem. I'm fitting right in!

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Guys, I need advice on overweight permits... I called our Heavy Haul/Permit Dept and they told me I can get a higher weight rating PLATE for about $350. The lady couldn't say specifically how weight I'd be able to carry, she said it 'depends on your state'. As you might know my Canadian truck is plated in IL. I have a usual 5 axle setup: 12+40 axles on the truck, and a closed tandem on the trailer. I think my trailer is rated for quite a lot of weight, number 83,000 lbs gross comes to mind. So, if I get the 92,000 lbs rating, the permits lady said I still have to buy permits for each load! Did I get that right? The 92,000 lb plate doesn't actually give me the right to haul 12+40+40 lbs UNLESS I buy a temp permit for a particular load that is heavy? All this is very confusing ..

Found this on a Il web site:

How do I upgrade to a different weight?

Vehicles may be upgraded to a higher weight by submitting a supplemental application. Vehicles cannot be downgraded to lower weights. A supplemental application will be required to be submitted and the additional fees will be invoiced to the applicant. Immediate operation at the new weight may be done on a 45 Day Temporary Apportionment Authorization permit, with the application process following in the required time period.

According to this, I'd be able to haul heavier loads right off the bat - AFTER I upgrade to a higher weight?

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-10-2011, 12:15 AM
Board Regular

Can you haul more with the heavy tag? Not really. Don't up your weight until you need to, they can probably fax you a temp in about 2 hrs. Call the in house oversize permit service(comdata) and ask which states require the heavy tag to issue a over weight permit. Some do and some don't.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 AM

Rank should be able to straighten you out. I know my head is starting to spin already. If you're truck is only licensed for 80,000lbs in Ill you are only legal for 80,000 in Ont even though you could carry 92,000lbs. So at the very least I'd run a 92,000lbs base plate. An Ont license card will have what you are licensed for in each state. That doesn't mean you won't have to get a permit also. Every state and county is different. I have a permit in rural Ohio that lets me go up to Mi gross weight but only for 3 months at a time. But my Toledo permit is good for an entire year up to Mi gross. Our Indiana permits are only good for 24 hours and only on certain roads. All permits are usually routed and you don't want to be caught off route. Good luck figuring out your best plan.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialkay View Post
I know my head is starting to spin already.
I guess that's why Heavy Duty was saying having a third axle doesn't actually do any good? I thought if I have a 6-axle rig, I could get a PERMANENT plate allowing to haul - let's say - 92,000 lbs (12+34+45). But that would be too easy for DOT and MTO, wouldn' it? You're still limited to 80,000 GVW no matter what and you must have a trip permit when your freight load exceeds the said 80K. Did I get it right?

If the above scenario is correct, and I get a tridem stepdeck, I'll be hauling the extra weight of the third axle without getting any gross weight benefits. Well, a tridem step looks cool, there's that

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
You're still limited to 80,000 GVW no matter what and you must have a trip permit when your freight load exceeds the said 80K. Did I get it right?
Correct.

Quote:
If the above scenario is correct, and I get a tridem stepdeck, I'll be hauling the extra weight of the third axle without getting any gross weight benefits.
The benefit is that you have an extra axle under you which allows you to permit approximately another 20,000 in gross weight. Unless I am mistaken (see registered weight discussion below), the thing that limits your weight permitting ability is your tires. They won't allow you to exceed the sum total of what your tires will carry. 4 extra tires = more gross weight permitability.

Now, regarding the registered weight topic.....I can't speak to the IL rules on registered weights being mandatory in order to get a single trip overweight permit. As I mentioned before, I am registered for 80,000 in the US and I have been issued overweight permits in some states. Even got a ticket in FL because the trailer tandems scaled more than I was permitted for. We grossed over 90,000 on that trip and the FL DOT said nothing about us being only plated for 80K. Maybe I was just lucky. I can tell you that I will be following up on Heavy Duty's comments to make sure I wasn't just lucky.

Now.....I am plated in ON...not sure if ON applies these rules to US plated trucks or not, but here goes; As Special K mentioned, one must first "up the gross" in ON to whatever weight they want. In other words, increasing the registered weight for which one is plated....say I want to gross 92,000 in ON; I must up my gross and pay the extra fee and get my new cab card. Then and only then will ON issue me a single trip overweight permit. Then they will issue me a permit for my overweight axles, provided that I do not go over my registered weight. So basically, they will permit your axles, but not your gross....you must plate your gross. Clear as mud?

Yes some states will issue "blanket" oversize permits. Not sure if they will all issue overweight permits or not. NY has something that is called an "R" permit that is a blanket for overweight. Heavy Duty and Jumbo I'm sure know about blankets and "R" permits than me. I only do single trips.

Speaking of Heavy Duty, his advice to call Comdata is good advice. Whenever I have a question (which has been lots), I call Nova Permits and ask for Adam. He is always patient and helpful. It's free.

Last edited by rank; 02-10-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
That's not specializing, that's covering ALL types of freight.
Moving 60' long steel plate on a 53' trailer from a US port into QC? I think qualifies as specialized. Smart Alec. :P
Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Then I got it right. That's what our LS rep said. First you 'up' your gross, but that only gives you the right to get overweight trip permits. That's one weird system. I'm pretty sure I won't be buying any permits. Forget it. Too many headaches.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Then I got it right. That's what our LS rep said. First you 'up' your gross, but that only gives you the right to get overweight trip permits. That's one weird system. I'm pretty sure I won't be buying any permits. Forget it. Too many headaches.
If it was easy anyone could do it.