User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I need a website that teaches everything about trucking

I mean a website for a newbie.
Please post the links for weight limitations,fuel mileage,24 pallets in a 48't dry van.
I am gathering documentaion and I need a couple of links for a newbie.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:26 AM
Board Regular
Default I need links to teach a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1 View Post
I mean a website for a newbie.
Please post the links for weight limitations,fuel mileage,24 pallets in a 48't dry van.
I am gathering documentaion and I need a couple of links for a newbie.
Guys, I need your help with different links.4 years ago you guys helped me in giving me different links to study for the HAZMAT.It is now a different ballgame.I am a motor Carrier with a small fleet.I never thought the wife could help me since I thought raising the 18 month old twins and going to school would be too much for her.She now wants to help if possible and the work is getting too much for me.

I need to train her to be able to run some spects of the business when I am not around.I plan on taking a trip out of the country later on this year and I just don't want to return and have a driver quit because the Dh was too much or drivers are having to wait for their next load.I want her to get a grip on this business as much as I do.She started depositing the checks today for the drivers and later I will train her on load matching and log auditing etc...
Training means nothing if there are no documnetation online to either test her or show her online docs when she argues about any topic.

I need links like:
1.load matching
2.HOS training
3.ms streets and trips and the whole US map
4.Understanding IFTA,NM and KYUs
5.the cost per mile to operate and understanding the formula.
6.understanding gross and axle weight limits when it comes to the scale house.
7.basic fmcsa regulations
8.understanding maintenance or 24 pallets can fit a 48ft trailer etc....
9.understandiung tire tread depth.4/32 for steer and 2/32 for drive etc...
10.She must be able to go through the DRIVER QUAL. FOLDER and determine which drivers need their DOT card and licence renewed.

I want her to also know how to talk to either the shipper or broker.For a ex.. a leased Operator got loaded today with some reels.Some part of the load was 13' 9" in the air and on a flat.I had to take matters onto my own hands and put out fires between the driver, shipper and broker.Had the shipper unload and demand a TONU from the broker.I need her to be as efficient.With online docs, I think I can teach her 70% of what I know.I am currently driving ,firing, hiring and coming home to a pile of mail and then running back to IRP or just doing maintenance.I am pretty much "1 man army" and I refuse to have an agency help me without trying out "family" first.
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Senior Board Member

FMCSA has seminars all the time,so does your state motor carrier associations. Most likely you learned by your mistakes,better expect that fron her also. You're going to run multiple trucks hire experienced people not family,friends,ect. to try to save a few bucks. Cheaper to pay for experience.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
FMCSA has seminars all the time,so does your state motor carrier associations. Most likely you learned by your mistakes,better expect that fron her also. You're going to run multiple trucks hire experienced people not family,friends,ect. to try to save a few bucks. Cheaper to pay for experience.
Chris, you seem to be a know it all guy as you jumped on another thread that I created somewhere else.
I am going to run multiple trucks?
I am already running multiple trucks.Buddy I am doing it.Go tell that to the many independents who have their wives dispatching them and doing all their paper work.I would suggest you stick with your knowledge of the fmcsa rules and regulation and your reefer business and as you claim running multiple trucks and paying your drivers health insurance etc..
I am not necessarily lashing at your specific response but your other thread response in conjunction with this.YOU STICK WITH YOUR SMALL FLEET OF REEFER BUSINESS AND LET ME STICK WITH MY OPEN DECK FREIGHT.If not RANK or some other guy, I defintely don't wanna hear from you.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Senior Board Member

A little touchy are we? Just giving an honest opinion. You want your wife to run it,there is going to be a learning curve. Be prepared for mistakes. You have the same attitude with her that you have with drivers,good luck.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:44 PM

My wife learned a lot about trucking from JJ Keller's manuals. They'll send you last years 'outdated' ones for free. They cover nearly every situaution that may arise in trucking and the legal aspects as well. Then they try to sell you the newest updated stuff. Just a thought!
Old 02-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfghjkl View Post
My wife learned a lot about trucking from JJ Keller's manuals. They'll send you last years 'outdated' ones for free. They cover nearly every situaution that may arise in trucking and the legal aspects as well. Then they try to sell you the newest updated stuff. Just a thought!
Good lead asdf.All the info I need in one place and at JJ keller.I never knew they had all that stuff.
Thanks!