User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any CH Robinson or Landstar Experiences?

If so could you let me know, if you still haul for them.

1. Avg Pay per mile and avg miles per week

2. Good experience and bad experience with them

Other carriers for me to check with.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Senior Board Member

I pretty much posted my experiences with CH on the other thread and over at OOIDA the post that JB made hits the nail on the head as far as CH goes.

There are no average rates for either one. It doesn't work like that, if you're in an area with a lot of trucks competing for loads the rates offered will be very low. If there is more loads than available trucks the rate offered will be much higher. It is supply and demand.

For instance I was getting decent rates out of Birmingham and then poof! the rates went in the toilet because a lot of trucks run the south in the winter. I did wind up getting a good rate out of Birmingham but instead of coming back to MD I had to take one to Louisville, KY. This was two weeks ago.

Atlanta was another fine example, this was a couple of months ago I think. I got really good rate out of Atlanta coming back to MD, VA area two weeks in a row. Third time I went down the freight was gone and I was making phone call after phone call to get something decent. I couldn't believe how fast things changed. I talked to an O/O around Atlanta when I went to pick up the load and he confirmed that it had dried up.

I think you might be looking for some reassurance and there really is none to give. Things can change that fast. I would also suggest giving yourself a bigger radius. I apportioned myself from TX straight up to ND and everthing east, not that I use all of those states but it gives me flexibility. I can pm you the insurance co I deal with if you like, they have competitive rates for a bigger radius.

This is something you have to kind of figure out as you go. It can be fun, it can be frustrating you never know. You have to think about the decisions you make and learn quickly from your mistakes.

Another thing, if you post your truck on the board and your phone doesn't ring much you're not going to have a lot of negotiating power because there's too many trucks in the area. If it starts to ring off the hook you have the upper hand because there's not enough trucks in the area. Take advantage of it when you can and throw them an outrageous number, you'd be surprised what they'll pay. You'll need that extra money later when you're in a bad area.

Always bargain for more money no matter what, good area or bad. Even you can only squeeze fifty bucks it's fifty bucks more.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
I pretty much posted my experiences with CH on the other thread and over at OOIDA the post that JB made hits the nail on the head as far as CH goes
Rosty, could you help me out on what other thread, and at OOIDA, I posted but did not (may have missed it) see post by JB? Thanks for your advice and suggestions.
Quote:
I think you might be looking for some reassurance and there really is none to give
Hit that one on the head for sure!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rick View Post
Rosty, could you help me out on what other thread, and at OOIDA, I posted but did not (may have missed it) see post by JB
It's the one in the business section titled "Getting ready to get my authority, now what" look for junglebloods post on CH. It pretty much reinforces my experience with CH as well. Or any broker for that matter.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Board Regular

Thanks RostyC, found it appreciate it.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
If so could you let me know, if you still haul for them.

1. Avg Pay per mile and avg miles per week

2. Good experience and bad experience with them

Other carriers for me to check with.
I am going on my 3rd year with Landstar. I wish I could give you specific anwsers to your questions but it all depends on what kind of wagon you pull and what part of the country you run. I can say that Landstar is by no means the "perfect" company but then again I dont think there is such a thing. I really can not complain because I work as hard (or not) as I want and I basically control my own destiny so to speak. So far I have zero regrets signing on with them and dont forsee going anywhere else at this point.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Thanks RostyC, found it appreciate it.
You're welcome Rick. I know you're wanting pull van or reefer and I'm not familiar with that type of freight for Alabama but flatbed stuff around Birmingham should be good when the weather breaks and more trucks head north. I don't know if you've given any thought flatbed or not.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
I am going on my 3rd year with Landstar
Is this what your 85 page post is about?

Quote:
I wish I could give you specific anwsers to your questions but it all depends on what kind of wagon you pull and what part of the country you run
I currently haul logs as an 0/0, but this has dried up so getting ready to make a change. Will have to trade my daycab truck in and lease on with some company and LS has a terminal close to my home. Plan on doing the van hauling and see how this goes.

I live in Rainsville AL, and hope to run the South and be home weekends, although this might not be a possibility.

Any advice you could send my way would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Is this what your 85 page post is about?
Some of it yes.....:lol:

Quote:
I currently haul logs as an 0/0, but this has dried up so getting ready to make a change. Will have to trade my daycab truck in and lease on with some company and LS has a terminal close to my home. Plan on doing the van hauling and see how this goes.

I live in Rainsville AL, and hope to run the South and be home weekends, although this might not be a possibility.

Any advice you could send my way would be greatly appreciated.
before you trade in your equipment you might want to contact LS 1st if you havent already done so. I say this because they are very picky as to whom they lease on, and not saying you wouldnt qualify, but sure would suck to get new equipment only to find out later they wont lease you.

As far as terminals go it doesnt really make much of a difference over here who your "domicile" terminal is. There are a few that have actual terminals with truck parking or a yard but most are actually the agents home resident. I cant even remeber who or where my domicile terminal is :lol:.

I pull a flatbed so I am really no help to you when it comes to the van side of the house. One thing is for sure over here......your success or failure is all on you for the most part as there are no dispathers or truck managers here, you are responsible for finding you own loads within the LS system.

As far as running the south and being home on weekend that is VERY plausable as again, you are your own boss and decide what loads you want going where you want, when you want. Last year I spent 2 weeks out and 2weeks home on average. I did fairly well with that and I ran mostly the south, south west. When it comes to being leased onto a carrier, this is about as close as you get to having your own authority....you and you alone call all the shots.

Last edited by devildice; 01-25-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Board Regular

Thanks DD, read alot of your post, very good info there, especially to see you go from Davis, Lonestar and now LS for the past 3 years. Got alot of good info thanks.

So you can talk and get approved with them without the truck being brought into the pic, will start working on this for sure.

Does it matter which place I call to get the ball rolling? I know a friend (haven't seen him in a few years) who I heard is a LS agent, would it be best to contact him or just call main office?

Thanks for the help and advice.