User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 09:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rick View Post
Thanks DD, read alot of your post, very good info there, especially to see you go from Davis, Lonestar and now LS for the past 3 years. Got alot of good info thanks.

So you can talk and get approved with them without the truck being brought into the pic, will start working on this for sure.

Does it matter which place I call to get the ball rolling? I know a friend (haven't seen him in a few years) who I heard is a LS agent, would it be best to contact him or just call main office?

Thanks for the help and advice.
Thanks for the compiment on my thread. Your friend can help give you some insite I am sure, but wont be able to tell you if you qualify or not so you'll have to call the 800 number and get the ball rolling, just let them know that you want to make sure there arent any issue with you as a driver leasing on before you get a new truck. You will need to have your truck inspected at one of their approved locations, mos TA's and Petro's as well as cerain other places. Lets us know how things turn out.....BOL
Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Senior Board Member

I've been with LS since summer 2010, pulling my own stepdeck. It's a great company to work for especially if you're a US driver and can haul loads between points inside the States. They are quick to pay but should you get late with your obligatory 120 day DOT inspection (paid by LS) you will be taken off the list of the available trucks in a second! Pay varies depending on the load and you can always negotiate with the Agent. The minimum they can do is to increase the share of the Fuel surcharge in what the freight pays because you get 100% of the FSC but only 64%, 72% or 73% of the rest. The way you find loads is a) on their internal load board; 2) by calling Agents listed in the Online directory; or 3) using the Lane Match tool that shows what Agents moved loads out of the location/into a location you're interested in. A laptop with Internet connection is a must.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 01-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
I've been with LS since summer 2010, pulling my own stepdeck. It's a great company to work for especially if you're a US driver and can haul loads between points inside the States. They are quick to pay but should you get late with your obligatory 120 day DOT inspection (paid by LS) you will be taken off the list of the available trucks in a second! Pay varies depending on the load and you can always negotiate with the Agent. The minimum they can do is to increase the share of the Fuel surcharge in what the freight pays because you get 100% of the FSC but only 64%, 72% or 73% of the rest. The way you find loads is a) on their internal load board; 2) by calling Agents listed in the Online directory; or 3) using the Lane Match tool that shows what Agents moved loads out of the location/into a location you're interested in. A laptop with Internet connection is a must.
Yes, a laptop with internet connection is an absolute must here.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:15 AM
Rookie

Hey devildice, im trying to lease on with landstar pulling 50' dropdeck out of florida and going where ever the money takes me, hows load board lookin ? im working with terry briggs (ranger) out GA, she's telling me that stepdeck and flat loads are lookin good right now. im currently looking at and approved for a 06' 387 pete and 06' doonan 50' dropdeck @ 1950.00 month with 13k down (start-up company rates) got to pay my dues for the good rates What do u think with my monthly expenses not including gas,maint, insurance (248.00 month)ect. i also have a driver that has 25+ yrs experience w/ not a scratch on dac or license, he's willing to pull the loads for me @800.00 a week, since there are no real dispathers, I would be at home working deals on boards, and lining up permits , ect. Do you think I would at least break even or make profit after monthly expenses ? or do i have to pull my own loads to make a profit ?

I was going to use there broker service , but to much money out of pocket ( insurance, authority, base plate), leased on is more secure. would u agree ?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Hey devildice, im trying to lease on with landstar pulling 50' dropdeck out of florida and going where ever the money takes me, hows load board lookin ?? im working with terry briggs (ranger) out GA, she's telling me that stepdeck and flat loads are lookin good right now.?
Well it is the slow months right now for platforms so I am not sure I would say the loads are looking great. There are plenty of loads but the rates are just so-so.....especially in the southern lanes as I believe there are more trucks than freight there right now.

Quote:
im currently looking at and approved for a 06' 387 pete and 06' doonan 50' dropdeck @ 1950.00 month with 13k down (start-up company rates) got to pay my dues for the good rates ?
Are you refering to interest rates on equipment or freight rates? $1950 a month seems like a reasonable payment for truck and trailer combined.

Quote:
What do u think with my monthly expenses not including gas,maint, insurance (248.00 month)ect. i also have a driver that has 25+ yrs experience w/ not a scratch on dac or license, he's willing to pull the loads for me @800.00 a week, since there are no real dispathers, I would be at home working deals on boards, and lining up permits , ect. Do you think I would at least break even or make profit after monthly expenses ? or do i have to pull my own loads to make a profit ?
This one I can not awnser honestly as it all depends on how you run your bussiness. If I were in your shoes, I would have to raise the question as to why a driver with so much experience and clean record would work for only $800 a week? Also any driver you put in your truck will have to go through the same screening process as you would and be approved by LS.

Quote:
I was going to use there broker service , but to much money out of pocket ( insurance, authority, base plate), leased on is more secure. would u agree ?
Again it all depends on how you run your business. I for one prefer to be leased on right now.

Not sure if any of that helps you or not but if there is anything else you want to know please ask away.