User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Same for when it's below 20f with one - the bunk heater won't keep the fuel from gelling.
You probably meant -20C, cause 20F is nothing....
Old 01-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
the bunk heater won't keep the fuel from gelling.
Tank heaters work great, but rather than having tanks replaced to get the heaters, use a good anti-gel and get a "hotline" from a Pete back in the mid '90s. As long as the fuel is not completely solid, the "hotline" would warm it up just before the filter and no problems. More than once, I realized that the engine was being starved for fuel because it could not get through the filter, just throw the switch for the hotline and the truck took off. The company also said to run with the hotline on anytime the temps were below 15 F. Many times, I went by a number of trucks that were frozen up, even gave a few drivers a ride to the next truck stop to get warmed up and get help. I also installed a used one in the Frightliner I owned, and found that it was well worth it. As long as the fuel can still get into the fuel line, that hotline makes sure it can also get through the filter. And, it was a whole lot cheaper than an apu. Of course, it didn't do anything for A/C in Laredo or El Paso in the middle of July.