Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Hypothetical question (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/40840-hypothetical-question.html)

Malaki86 01-24-2011 12:38 PM

Hypothetical question

Just something I was wondering about:

Let's say you're in the market to buy a used truck. In your search, you find the perfect truck except it doesn't have an option or 2 that you would really want on the truck, such as an APU and Centramatics. Say your funds are tight and purchasing these seperately from the truck really wouldn't be an option.

Would most dealers work with you to get these installed prior to the truck purchase so that it could all be paid for with the truck loan?

xcarsalesman 01-24-2011 01:07 PM

Its up to the load co, not the dealership. Now, if the dealership tote the note, then i think it would work.

solo379 01-24-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 492684)

Would most dealers work with you to get these installed prior to the truck purchase so that it could all be paid for with the truck loan?

I think so. Why not?

RostyC 01-24-2011 02:33 PM

If the upgrades you want exceed the value of the truck (assuming you're using the truck as the only collateral) they might have an issue with it.

tracer 01-24-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86 (Post 492684)
...you find the perfect truck except it doesn't have an option or 2 that you would really want on the truck, such as an APU and Centramatics...

I think APUs are just a waste of money. Get a Webasto bunk heater ($1,000) and add the option of heating the engine block and you're good. I knew a guy who had an APU and it caused fire and his entire truck (1 year old) burned down. The insurance he had pretty much covered only the value of the loan he had with the financial company. He was left with no truck and no money and had to become a company driver again.

Maniac 01-24-2011 04:07 PM

I would think they would as long as you weren't asking for something way out of the ordinary, an APU would increase the price and maybe the finance co wouldn't want to lend all of the money without maybe a larger down payment

solo379 01-24-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tracer (Post 492694)
Get a Webasto bunk heater ($1,000) and add the option of heating the engine block and you're good.

What about AC? Personally i prefer Espar.

Steel Horse Cowboy 01-24-2011 07:04 PM

If they are 22.5 time, I got a set of steer centramatics w/800 miles I'd sell for $100

Malaki86 01-24-2011 09:57 PM

The last company I drove for had Webasto's in every truck. 2 of them burnt to the ground because of issues from the Webasto's.

Plus, I really like to be able to sleep in the middle of summer when I'm in Laredo. A Webasto or Espar won't help there, so gotta idle anyway. Same for when it's below 20f with one - the bunk heater won't keep the fuel from gelling.

Steel Horse Cowboy 01-24-2011 10:01 PM

An APU also won't keep your fuel from gelling unless your truck has tank heaters from the factory and you get a APU that runs the trucks coolant such as a Tri-Pac.