User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 02:59 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

If one of you 2 do go to roadlink please keep us updated. Cuz if you can make any money i would think about buying an older tractor just to run in the winter when my dump is slow.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 01-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Are you sure it's not 1.8 million on the miles? What kinds of work has been done? Are there records of the work? I'm not familiar with the N-14 is that a mechanical or early electronic motor? I have heard the N-14 has a good reputation. The price he's asking depends a lot on what has been done and how recent. I would still try to get him down some either way though.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I was able to get my 900L with a 335" frame

Quote:
I think this one is like 360"

Looks like neither one of you knows how to measure a wheelbase, that Pete looks to be around 280"

Measure center of front wheels to center between the rear axles for wheelbase.

How are the tires? new or caps? brakes? any leaks? when was the radiator changed? or is it original.

when was the rear susp rebuilt? have you driven it? how does it ride, handle?

Is it a rattle trap, or quiet? speaking of quiet, how is the exhaust system?

How old are the batteries?

I could go on and on, LOTS of things to look for on a truck this old, lots of things that could put you upside down in a hurry, never under estimate the nickels and dimes, they add up quickly..........VERY quickly

Not trying to burst your bubble, just pointing out some things you need to be aware of.

Also remember this...........friends are friends...............BUT............ buisness is buisness

Last edited by Maniac; 01-24-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I could go on and on, LOTS of things to look for on a truck this old, lots of things that could put you upside down in a hurry, never under estimate the nickels and dimes, they add up quickly..........VERY quickly
I can vouch for that.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Looks like neither one of you knows how to measure a wheelbase, that Pete looks to be around 280"
Sorry to say but I know how to measure a frame. How do u get that I don't, did u ever see my KW?
For your information it was 335" from the factory. Even the build sheet listed it as such. It had a 36" coffin sleeper and the trailer was 175" from the back of the cab. It was originally a farm truck with a hopper box on the back. I traded to box for q restored sleeper and a paint job. I may only be 30 but I have built and restored 8 trucks in this time not to mention over 15 classic cars and bikes.

I just can't paint.... not even a coloring book LOL!

Last edited by Steel Horse Cowboy; 01-24-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:45 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
did u ever see my KW?

No but I saw the Freightliner cabover you claim was yours on the other thread, you know the blue one, the one my friend Brandon built from NC why not post a picture of your KW.............

8 trucks and 30 years old.....................my drivers license is older than you

Last edited by Maniac; 01-24-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
No but I saw the Freightliner cabover you claim was yours on the other thread, you know the blue one, the one my friend Brandon built from NC why not post a picture of your KW.............

8 trucks and 30 years old.....................my drivers license is older than you
That's funny, I bought it off a guy named Jim Prugh in Salem a year ago and sold it to a guy name Steve in Raleigh 8 days later.

I will get u a pic of the KW once I get home Friday. It was '78 gold with black.

That is exactly what I'm saying about my age, I'm young but not dumb. I'm sure 90% of u guys on here graduated before I was born, but just as they all talk about us younger drivers, we talk about you old farts who are still living in your glory days. Just cuz the world has changed doesn't mean u can't too LOL!

Last edited by Steel Horse Cowboy; 01-24-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

That is quite a feat to have rebuilt 8 trucks much less 15 other vehicles, especially at only 30. I don't see how you found the time to work.

I suppose I should throw my two cents in on this deal. I don't recall how long you have been driving, but you apparently have some driving experience. Hopefully, you have a good amount of money put away. As some have mentioned, I would see if you could get copies of any major work that has been done to the truck. If it were me, I would look more toward an aero truck. It might surprise you how much money you can put into your pocket with only an increase of half a mile per gallon. I don't have a problem with hoods. I have owned them. After all, you are the one that will need to live with what you buy. If you are serious about buying the truck I would recommend that you have a dyno and oil analysis done before signing on the dotted line. Since you are not a mechanic, you may also want to spend a little money for a good mechanic to go over the truck for you. I would get it away from the mechanic from whom you are buying the truck.

No matter how old or new a truck, things can happen. That is why I suggest having someone check it out for you and that you have a good nest egg put back in case of a major breakdown.

Some carriers do have age restrictions on tractors that are leased to them. You may want to check that out before you buy a truck. I would also sit down and look at some of the other start up expenses that you will need to fund in order to get started. Unless your new carrier will finance them for you, base plates and permits, fuel and running money until your checks start coming in.

Another thing that I would suggest is that you sit down and make a budget for your new business. Everyone who is in business needs an operating plan.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Yes Gman, the first truck I rebuilt was a 63 Mack that my grandfather gave to me on my 13th bday. with his help I replaced the interior, turbo, brakes and windshield. I then sold it and bought a 70 Chevelle a14 which I was then shown how to rebuild a motor and do light body work. From that point on I rebuilt 5 cars and 4 Harleys by the time I graduated. In 2000 I bought a 88 Pete and just did cosmetic touches, then a 91 FLD which was also my 1st truck I used to haul grain at 20. Since then I have rebuilt 5 trucks and a few more cars. This last summer I did my first complete build of a motorcycle and tried my had at painting which turned out horrible.

Now not to confuse anybody, none of these trucks were show worthy nor were most the cars. I did what I could with what I knew. I'm not Trick My Truck, nor do I claim to be. I have no bills, I work 4 Days a week and relax more.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:55 AM
Senior Board Member

[QUOTE]that's funny, I bought it off a guy named Jim Prugh in Salem a year ago and sold it to a guy name Steve in Raleigh 8 days later[\quote]

What's funnier is Brandon just told me he sold it to guy in Washington in Aug 2010, but owned it since he built in in 2004