User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Refusing to Haul $50.00 Yard Haul cost me my Regular Job??

This is what I have come up against. I have been hauling logs off the woodyard for a company for the past 3 1/2 years with no problems other than some slowdowns which is expected.

4 months ago the company started chipping the wood 60% of it and this is when the problem started. This is what it involves: Hook up to a Chip van, haul it approx 1 mile to plant, back up to the Chip Dropper, drop it, get it unloaded (Machine Tipper does this), hook back up go back to woodyard mill, drop that Trailer, hook up to another trailer and repeat the process. Pay is $50.00 per load which I balked at and told the Company Boss that $50.00 was not a fair amount since it was alot of wear and tear on Truck of backing, hooking, rehook, dollying down, so forth so on. Boss says ok, then goes and hires a guy who is willing to do this and he has been doing it for the past 3 months (now his clutch is going out on him). Another thing is sometimes the load is not ready so I had to back up to van with chip dust coming out of Van and getting on my Truck and in my Breathers, which in essence is going to wind up in my motor if not very careful.

Monday of this week, Boss asks me to start hauling loads for him, again I tell him, I have been with your company for 3 1/2 years and never ever have I complained about the rates or anything, but I will not haul it for $50.00 a load it just isn't fair.

Hauled 2 loads since then (logs), and was told last night when called in that "We will call you if we need you".

I don't feel like I was off base refusing to haul for $50.00 a load, because I know they are making a killing off of this deal, not wanting to hold them up for alot more money, thought maybe $85.00 would have been fair. Sometimes they get 10 loads a day out, then sometimes chipper is tore up and get 1 or 2 loads out.

Looking for advice on was I wrong for refusing to haul what I consider CHEAP freight?

I don't have my authority (log haulers are excempt) but am considering getting this and start hauling on my own flatbedding.

Any advice I would greatly appreciate. This has been getting slower and slower by the week as far as the loads go for me. We have never had a arguement over this, just doesn't seem to be working out.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Board Regular

Sorry to be gone for long time not posting, but it would not let me log in or post a new name or anything until today? But am back on YEAH, missed everyone so much, been reading post but could not reply.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am sorry to hear that you had a problem logging into the forum, Papa Rick.

As far as the rate for which you were hauling is concerned. You need to do what is best for your business. It should not take much time to drop and hook a trailer and then take it a mile down the road. With something such as this an hourly rate might be a more fair way to be compensated. I have minimum rates for which I haul. They will vary according to where I go. I think that it is reasonable to expect a fair return on your efforts and time. While you are not spending much money on fuel with such a short run, you are spending your time. You still have fixed expenses owning a truck. You also need to earn a living.

If you don't think that you are being paid what it is worth then perhaps now is the time to go in a different direction. Getting your authority would certainly be heading into a different direction.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Board Regular

Right now everyone is slow in the woodmill business because of the weather. Maybe I was off base by refusing to haul it, but I just don't see the $50.00 being fair as it does involve 4 drop and rehooks, 4 dolly down and up, woodyard road is not good. Some days this guy (Super Nice Guy) only gets 1 or 2 loads for the whole day and gets no detention time or pay for this, and then sometimes it is like I was one day, Drove 28 miles to get to woodyard, was there from 8am to 3 pm, got 2 loads and deadheaded back home 28 miles to house. Pay was $100.00 for all day, total miles was 60 miles for this.

I have always been very hesitant to go it on getting my authority, but it may be the best thing for me to do in the long run. I know with a Daycab my options would be limited, but only 4 more payments and it is mine, and really don't want to go in debt on another one right now.

Trying to get advice and even if you think I may not like what you advise I still want to hear it as sometimes what we need to hear may not be what we want to hear.

No problem about having problems getting on here GMAN, just glad to be able to do it again. Thanks for the help and advice. Now I can go back and pull up the old post about getting my authority.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rick View Post
Maybe I was off base by refusing to haul it, but I just don't see the $50.00 being fair as it does involve 4 drop and rehooks, 4 dolly down and up, woodyard road is not good. Some days this guy (Super Nice Guy) only gets 1 or 2 loads for the whole day and gets no detention time or pay for this, and then sometimes it is like I was one day, Drove 28 miles to get to woodyard, was there from 8am to 3 pm, got 2 loads and deadheaded back home 28 miles to house. Pay was $100.00 for all day, total miles was 60 miles for this.
In that case scenario, i wouldn't do it either, unless there like some "daily minimum guarantee" $3-400. My only advise to you is don't rush, look around, consider your options before you do anything. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Senior Board Member

I don't feel you were off base doing what you felt was best for you. If the company is making say $125 for each load, and paying you only $50 then I feel it is a bit of a rip-off too. Not sure on a GOOD day, how many loads you can do in 1hr tho???? I'd say $75hr is a good run, as long as you can make lets say $500 a day, and of course maybe $250 on a bad day here n there.

I guess it is all really just up to how you feel. Have you thought about maybe going to a different company and trying them out for a few runs. It may work out better, if not to just make your other boss a bit nervous and jealous and ask you back..... ya never know.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:35 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I thought you got rid of your day cab and bought a sleeper, Rick?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:32 AM
Board Regular

No GMAN I was on the verge of doing so several months ago, but the deal fell through 1 day before I was to do the deal with a sleeper truck. At the time I was really glad as it would have put me in deeper debt than I wanted to but if the contract had stood, then it would have all worked out. As it was I stayed with the wood hauling and thought it would all work out, but since they have went to chipping so much, it has really cut down to a hurting status for me.

I don't blame the company for doing this as this is the way of the future, just wished they had not gotten greedy and started squeezing me out by doing what they have done. But in the end it will always come back what you do to other people, so I will not raize a ruckus or anything, just wait and see how things pan out.

I have a flatbed company that said I could get a day or maybe 2 hauling short loads with them 50 to 250 mile one way, pay would be around 1.25 per mile both ways, except for shorter 100 mile round trip and below would pay min $150.00, to go loaded and come back empty, using their trailers, this is not great I know, but right now it beats nothing.

I believe the biggest thing is for me to accept change and get ready for it.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Damn shame, but hey, at least you will look good in that purty blue truck doing it LOL
Old 12-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Board Regular

Ha Ha thanks, thought about looking into local flatbedding around here, just live 50 miles south of Chatt Tn and 80 miles north of Birm AL. Might check into container hauling, anyone know about this does it pay to do?