User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010, 03:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You may check with some of the steel companies around Chattanooga and Birmingham. My cousin's son works for one of the steel companies in Chattanooga. At one time they did use some owner operators, I believe, to haul some short runs. You could possibly do some things out of Atlanta or Nashville.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:11 PM
Board Regular

GMAN, not asking you to do any leg work when I ask this question, but what is the best way to find out about the steel companies? Reason for asking, I became an O/O in Sept 2006 and have done nothing but haul logs and planned on it taking me until I retired. I guess what I am saying is do I search for companies on the internet and start phone calling them with a simple question: Do you hire O/O who operate a Daycab? I have looked on getloaded load board and it seems to be there are loads (not sure what pay is) to be had for short runs, just not sure how to go about doing the customer calling. What load boards do you use if you don't mind me asking? Any advice and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Only prob you will have is i don't think you own a trailer do you???? Most companies won't supply you a trailer
Old 12-22-2010, 11:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Got any stone qaurrys by you?? Maybe buy a used end dump or something

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-23-2010, 01:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rick View Post
GMAN, not asking you to do any leg work when I ask this question, but what is the best way to find out about the steel companies? Reason for asking, I became an O/O in Sept 2006 and have done nothing but haul logs and planned on it taking me until I retired. I guess what I am saying is do I search for companies on the internet and start phone calling them with a simple question: Do you hire O/O who operate a Daycab? I have looked on getloaded load board and it seems to be there are loads (not sure what pay is) to be had for short runs, just not sure how to go about doing the customer calling. What load boards do you use if you don't mind me asking? Any advice and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I could probably get you a couple of names to start, but I can't guarantee anything. You will probably need a trailer. I know a company in Chattanooga that sells and rents flats and vans. They are independent. I don't know much about them. They are on Lee Hwy near Bonnie Oaks.

At one time I subscribed to getloaded.com, internettruckstop.com and mymembersedge.com. Mymembersedge is through OODIA and is owned by DAT. Members can receive a discount. That is the only one that I kept. I rarely use it unless I get into a bad freight area. I mostly rely on personal contacts that I have developed over the years. Most of the larger brokers have their own loadboards and those don't cost anything.

If you don't want to buy or rent a trailer you might work something out with JB Hunt or PTL. Both need people with their own authority to pull their trailers. FedEx also uses people with their own authority for pulling their trailers. None will pay that great, but it would be a way to get started. It is a shame you don't have a sleeper. I know some other people near Chattanooga that used to have short runs to Atlanta, but you will probably still need a trailer. Just let me know what you need.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Board Regular

GMAN I wouldn't mind renting a trailer, question is about when you rent one, who does the maintenance on them? Not talking about greasing, airchecks, and brake adjustment, but not sure how this works, is it done different on who the company is? I tried to get on membersedge, but cannot due to fact of not having my own authority.

I really appreciate the help you are offering more than words can speak. All of this will be new to me and I don't want to start out on the wrong foot with companies who may become long term. Not sure how any of this works, as far as rate goes, do they offer and then you decide if you want to take it or what?

When you speak of larger brokers having their own loadboards, are these like JB Hunt, FedEx etc.... or people who do broker work for themselves, and how do you find out about those loadboards?

Thanks GMAN, will send you a pm shortly.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some who rent trailers take care of all the maintenance. Others rent you the trailer and you take care of all maintenance. It depends on the company and the agreement you make with them. It would be worthwhile to check on rates and where you might rent a trailer, if that is the direction you want to take. It used to take about 6 weeks to get your authority back from the time you apply. I believe some have posted that they have gotten their authority back in 3-4 weeks. I don't think that I would want to start making rental payments on a trailer until I had my authority in hand.

Most brokers will tell you about their loadboards when you sign a contract with them. Some are password protected, so you need to set up with them prior to them giving you access.

I am glad to help. I got your email and responded back.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Senior Board Member

not sure if they are worth checking into or have local stuff but when I was into containers our sister company was Tennessee steal haulers. they seem to be mostly if not all o/o's and I see them everywhere.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Senior Board Member

From what little I know of TSH................. cheap. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
From what little I know of TSH................. cheap. Take it for what it's worth.
And seems to be all O/O from eastern europe and a Volvo is the rig of choice...... with the light-up Michelin man on the visors LOL