User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have the davco. I love it. used it over 11 years now. sometimes it needs changing at 7,000 miles & other times 25,000 miles. I drain just a lil out the drain every night on real cold day's & once a week min otherwise. cost of filter approx $9.00 depending on wich brand you get. if mine is real close to the change line & I know it will reach the full point while on the road, I will change it before I go anywhere. I have never been with out at least one spare filt. I had one filt fill up within 200 miles. if mine were near the top when truck was running or not, I would change it.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Senior Board Member

3406b cat
Old 12-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Senior Board Member

The only second oil filter i've ever had on my Cats,(3406E and C-15 ACERT) is the Spinner II, and i've installed it myself.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Senior Board Member

I've had A-B-C and E model Cats, never seen one with second oil filter, maybe you had a "brakesaver" on yours.

I too use the Delo, for some reason my E series would use a gallon of Rottella every 3000 miles, every time I used it, I switched to Delvac and it didn't use any, I switched to Delo when Costco stopped carrying the Delvac, I just changed it today after 18,000 miles, and got 9 gallons out of it, normally I change at 15K.

Sent the 18K oil out to the lab, just curious, because last time I sent them one with 17K on it, they said I could have left in in longer.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Well the C-15 had a brakesaver, but why would it have been mounted on the same filter line as an oil filter... the 3406E and 3408 both had dual filters too???? Now I'm going to have to go check the manuals I got again. I know both had the SD package on them.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
I've had A-B-C and E model Cats, never seen one with second oil filter, maybe you had a "brakesaver" on yours.

I too use the Delo, for some reason my E series would use a gallon of Rottella every 3000 miles, every time I used it, I switched to Delvac and it didn't use any, I switched to Delo when Costco stopped carrying the Delvac, I just changed it today after 18,000 miles, and got 9 gallons out of it, normally I change at 15K.

Sent the 18K oil out to the lab, just curious, because last time I sent them one with 17K on it, they said I could have left in in longer.
I'm curious, out of the A,B,C,and E which one do you like the best?

My B model, before it was rebuilt used a gallon of Rotella at about 5 to 6 thousand miles. Since the rebuild (the first one) it hasn't used any in between changes.......yet.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post

My B model, before it was rebuilt used a gallon of Rotella at about 5 to 6 thousand miles. Since the rebuild (the first one) it hasn't used any in between changes.......yet.
I know you didn't quote me..... but I like my C-15 the best (single turbo 550hp) and I'm pretty sure it was a 6NZ motor tho I haven't owned it in 5yrs. But other than that, my 3406B was much better than my E series and the 3408 was just a local truck with 350hp V8
Old 12-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
The "A" series was the first non overhead cam that Cat had, it was pretty dependable but a little down on power, mine was a 380HP ,other than a water pump every 75K it was pretty decent running engine, even had glow plugs to start it with.

I liked the "B" series because it was relatively easy to fix, no electronics, it went 1.3 million before it needed an inframe, it still is running today in NC pulling a hopper bottom, the "B" got lousy fuel mileage, typical Cat though. The "C" was a half mechanical half electrical nightmare, didn't keep it long enough to find out any more, and didn't really want to know either

I like the "E" series I have now mostly because of the power, although other than the electronics I can still do a lot of the work on it myself, water pump, turbo exhuast studs etc, and actually gets a little better fuel mileage the "B" despite the higher horsepower. I'd have to say I like the "E" the best, and I've had it the longest, going on 13 years (YIKES) I still remember picking it up at the KW plant in Renton Wa, Dec 1998 and bobtailing it back to NY in front of a snowstorm.....

As far as durability, I've only had Cats, so I don't know how they measure up to the others, I know the older Cummins and Detroits never made 500,000 without an overhaul, but that has all changed with the electronics.

As far as cost to operate, they all are pretty much the same, in frames usually run within $1000/$1500 of one another.

As far as fuel mileage, the Cat always comes out on the bottom end of the scope, I mean there are some Cats that get excellent mileage, but it is the exception usually, and not the rule.

Last edited by Maniac; 12-23-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Is it common for a B model to 1.3 million before an inframe? I was under the impression they go about 500k. When I bought mine it came with the maintenance records from the day it was born. (so to speak) The first owner inframed at 500k and again at 1 million miles. That's the main reason I had in my mind 500k.

Having said that though, I was wondering with oil and metals technology if I could do better than 500k before inframe. I had no idea 1.3 million was achievable.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Senior Board Member

The "B" series I had I bought new in 1990, changed oil every 10,11K, had the lower end done every 300K, turbo at 800K, a few water pumps, some exhaust manifold studs (they all do this) and that was it, maybe I was lucky, I DO NOT baby any of my trucks, all of them were always loaded maximum gross and then some, I have pulled liquid tankers since the middle 80's, with a mixture of flatbeds and end dumps scattered thru the years.

While I'm done buying trucks, if and thats a big IF, I had to buy another it would be Cat powered, IMO, (for whatever its worth)the Cat is the best out there.