User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Then he's not legal in Canada regardless of how many he has..
I guess you're right!

Heavy vehicles shall be transported in accordance with this section.
(2) Accessory equipment on a heavy vehicle, including a hydraulic shovel, shall be completely lowered and secured to the vehicle unless:
(a) the accessory equipment can only move vertically;
(b) accessory equipment that can pivot, tilt or move sideways is blocked or immobilized by the
transporting vehicle’s structure or by a blocking or securement mechanism built into the
transported vehicle.
(3) Articulated vehicles shall be restrained in a manner that prevents articulation while the vehicle is on a highway.
(4) Despite section 22, a heavy vehicle with crawler tracks or wheels shall be restrained against moving sideways, forward, rearward and vertically by at least 4 tiedowns,
(a) each with a working load limit of at least 2 268 kilograms, and
(b) each attached, as close as practical, at the front and rear of the vehicle or to mounting points on the vehicle that are specifically designed for that purpose.

I wonder why US DOT 'experts' couldn't come up with the same WLL recommendation of 2,268 KG or 5,000 lb per chain. It makes sense. BTW, this is the first time I see this Canadian document. Thanks, Alan. Now I'll know. I'll keep my 5/16 chains but will get at least 4 heavy duty ones for corner tiedowns. Then I should be okay both in Canada and US. But I think my stake pockets are only rated for 5,500. I usually use them with heavy stuff (wrap the chain around all the way from one side, then under the pocket and hook on the other side of the pocket). I feel better when a chain goes from one side of the trailer via an eyelet on the machine to the OTHER side of my trailer. I don't have in-floor tiedowns.

Last edited by tracer; 12-11-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Grade 70 chain WLL

So that all the good info is in one place, in case someone else besides me needs it

WLL
Grade 70 transport chains

1/4" - 3,150 lbs
5/16" - 4,700 lbs
3/8" - 6,600 lbs
7/16" - 8,750 lbs
1/2" - 11,300 lbs
5/8" - 15,800 lbs
Old 12-11-2010, 09:19 PM

Typical Ontario. Make a rule so that convoluted that no one does it and then don't enforce it anyways. 3 of my neighbours are in construction and they all have 5/16 chain. They will put a binder on each corner but will usually use a short length of chain to fasten it to the trailer. So they are in violation right there. I would have been nailed multiple times over the years. Good thing I don't haul wheeled equipment. I would have just put two binders on the front pulling ahead and two on the back pulling back and two in the middle pulling down and be on my way.BTW Tracer I think you are supposed to have the straps crossed on both of the skids on the upper deck. Isn't trucking fun!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialkay View Post
Tracer I think you are supposed to have the straps crossed on both of the skids on the upper deck. Isn't trucking fun!
Is there a rule about that too? I put a regular 3" strap on Skid #2 with 3 tires and I tightened it so hard that 1 half of the top tire was inside Tire #2 It was rock solid. The reason I used 2 straps on Skid #1 (and crossed them) was because these were hand ratchet straps with lower WLL (3,300 lb?).

I have been playing with numbers regarding the big machine I just hauled and it seems I"d still need 6 chains, even if they are rated for 6,600 lb each: the stake pockets on the trailer where I'd connect them are rated for 5,500 lb only. 33,600 lb x 0.43 = appr. 14,500 lb withholding force required to keep the machine from moving forward. 5,500 times 2 is only 11,000. So I'd need 2 chains going from one side of the trailer to the other (through an eye on the grader) and then one more long chain somewhere in the middle pulling back. That's 3 chains with 5,500 lb capacity: 5,500 lb + 5,500 lb + 5,500 lb = 16,500 lb. Same thing in the front but holding the grader from rolling back (must be enough chains to hold 50% of 33,600 lbs or 16,800 lbs).

All right, gotta stop - my calculator is getting hot
Old 12-12-2010, 01:24 AM

I haul skidded coils and a few of our customers have diagrams on the walls of tie down techniques. The general consensus is that the skid must be restrained in any direction. Meaning 1 over the top is no good because it could slide out from under the strap. They'll show them crossed or a chain at the base pulling back on the skid to keep it from sliding forward. I generally cross the front and back skids and 1 over the top of the ones in between. I load mine together with no gaps. If the there is a gap then the front and rear would be crossed again. I've been checked a few times over the years in Ontario and I've never been questioned . I try to keep the piles under 9,000lb in the middle as I use 5/16 chain.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialkay View Post
I haul skidded coils .
The skids in my picture had TIRES on them, not steel coils that probably weigh 10 times more. I think it's important to use common sense and to tie things down so that they don't move. My two skids haven't moved an inch and the front skid had 2 straps crossing over each other. I believe I did a good job and all was legal.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
... 33,600 lb x 0.43 = appr. 14,500 lb withholding force required to keep the machine from moving forward.
Are you sure you're interpreting that requirement to restrict .4g movement in the forward direction properly? I've never been able to make any sense of it. To me, a "G" is the force due to gravity. If I remember my college physics correctly, then Force = mass x accelleration and accelleration due to gravity is 9.8 M/s^2.

your machine weighs 15,000 Kg and if Force = Mass x Accelleration due to gravity, then;

F=MA
F = 15,000 Kg x 9.8 m/s^2 x .4
F = 58,800 kgm/s^2

So it would seem that the securement system needs to withstand a force of 59,000 kgm/s^2 in the forward direction. I believe that 3/8" Gr 70 chain has an ultimate tensile strength of 12,000 kg, therefore;

58,800 kgm/s^2 / 12,000 kg = 4.9 chains restricting forward movement. Seems like alot. Like I said, I've never been able to make sense of the "G" requirements so I go with their WLL rules instead.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 AM
Senior Board Member

As my grandfather taught me when I first started driving......

"Don't use LESS chains than they require you too, but don't run with LESS than you comfortable with either. Both will cost you a lot if something goes wrong and the DOT won't take it easy on the pocketbook either"

I would have ran the same amout you did Tracer.... no harm-no foul
Old 12-12-2010, 01:44 PM

Tracer I wasn't implying you did anything wrong just what the regs seem to say. I would probably just run one over over the top also. It doesn't really matter what it is just the length and weight. I'd imagine those those tires aren't exactly light. They've made these rules so confusing you could probably get a ticket regardless of how it was chained. lol
Old 12-12-2010, 02:00 PM

This book does a great job of helping. Lots of pictures and written inplainer english.

https://member.ontruck.org/OTAWebsto...ement+Handbook

Grandfathers usually got it figured out, no harm in putting on too many... too few? oh dear...

Ontario, Canada