User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Steel Horse,
I hadn't considered pulling a tanker. I don't have the endorsement. All I've ever done is run flats so I'd have some learning to do and fullfill whatever requirements there are for the endoresment. Is the gig in Markham worth looking into?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post

Thank you. I needed something like this.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:06 AM
Rookie

Not sure who your trying to fool. But at your math. you would have to average 62 mph for exactly 11hrs a day of drive time w/ no stops for fuel a piss or eat. Unless your the only driver in the US that gets loaded and unloaded in less than 3 hrs and has a rock solid no interuption load both ways. BTW theres 8760 hrs in a year w/ 1872 hrs dedicated to the 36hr rule/ 3650 to the 10 hour rule and 2860 hrs of legal drive time which comes to 8382 hrs. I think you need a new calculator. Oh I do heavy haul and very high end eletronics. And I like to eat and pee and stop for fuel. I am realistic NO One gets loads like that and no one never dead haeads which drives your cost way up. Be real to yourself.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Rookie

Quote:

What kind of questions should I be asking and things should I be looking for as I evaluate all of this?

Thanks.
Super 8..,What they say and what they do are 2 different things, your best bet would be to find 2-3 guys who work for them NOW and get the real story. "They say they pay "detension time" BUT is it one of those deals "When we get paid, you'll get paid"? If there's paperwork to sign READ it all. Because at the end of the day it says it all. If you see something you don't like CROSS IT OUT, and see what happens.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazgunny View Post
Not sure who your trying to fool. But at your math. you would have to average 62 mph for exactly 11hrs a day of drive time w/ no stops for fuel a piss or eat. Unless your the only driver in the US that gets loaded and unloaded in less than 3 hrs and has a rock solid no interuption load both ways. BTW theres 8760 hrs in a year w/ 1872 hrs dedicated to the 36hr rule/ 3650 to the 10 hour rule and 2860 hrs of legal drive time which comes to 8382 hrs. I think you need a new calculator. Oh I do heavy haul and very high end eletronics. And I like to eat and pee and stop for fuel. I am realistic NO One gets loads like that and no one never dead haeads which drives your cost way up. Be real to yourself.
Not sure if directed at me but yes I did do this. They were my own crushed cars and I yes I take about 45 min to load and 30 to unload. Yes I had to manipulate logs some but I did do. Most of the time when I loaded at night guys at my shop loaded and chained, I checked over on pretrip. There was no room for any delays because I wouldn't have made it. Luckily I was lucky. Only was I made this happen was to be at point of delivery when they opened.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Senior Board Member

I wouldnt run a pick-up truck for the rates roadlink are paying.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 11-17-2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
I wouldnt run a pick-up truck for the rates roadlink are paying.
What sort of rates are you getting?
Old 11-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Well i own a tri/axle dump truck so i dont get paid on miles. All my work is by the hr or ton. I go around 35miles one way and get 6.85 a ton. Truck hauls 24.30 ton. But i dont always leave right at gross. So about 23.5. So around 160.00 a load. have to deadhead back. So about 2.28 a mile. Not the best. But there is never any waiting at all. Dump the load and roll back for another. When i haul blacktop that is all hourly at 77/hr.

Roadlink is always looking for trucks so that throws up a red flag to me. Now i see why. Good luck to you.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 11-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by td5952 View Post
Not sure if directed at me but yes I did do this. They were my own crushed cars and I yes I take about 45 min to load and 30 to unload. Yes I had to manipulate logs some but I did do. Most of the time when I loaded at night guys at my shop loaded and chained, I checked over on pretrip. There was no room for any delays because I wouldn't have made it. Luckily I was lucky. Only was I made this happen was to be at point of delivery when they opened.
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Every pickup and delivery I do (and fuel stop, too) takes exactly 15 minutes. That is unless it's one of those places that puts arrival and departure times on the bills. For some reason, those ALWAYS seem to take longer.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazgunny View Post
You really should make it clear who you are referring to in your posts. If you click on the "reply with quote" button it will reference the text of the poster you are replying to. I'm guessing that you might be referring to my previous post where I stated that I run about 180k miles a year. Actually, last year, we ran 196k miles and were still home 111 days. In the past, I’ve had years as a company driver where I personally drove close to 250k miles (no, not legally). Things have certainly changed since then, but it is still possible for a solo driver to legally run 180k miles. You’d need to run coast to coast and have a truck that can run the speed limit out west, but it is certainly still doable without cheating on your log.