User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Possible broker job??

Hi gang. Not sure if this is the best place to post this but here goes.

I saw the following posted on Craigslist and thought I'd get some input from you folks. Sound legit? What would be some questions that you'd ask when calling for more info?

"Seeking motivated individuals wishing to work from home selling truckload transportation brokerage services. We are a nationwide truckload service provider. Training and back office support (billing, collections, payment to carriers) will be provided. You need to have a strong work ethic, and telephone voice, as well as a willingness to succeed in business."

I've left the contact informatoin off because I'm not trying to advertise for anyone else. Just trying to get some input.

Thanks,

L
Old 11-17-2010, 08:15 PM
Water Board Administrator
Senior Board Member

While I've never been a broker. Selling is selling. I was a salesman for 17 years. Its a very tough job. I was pretty good, made more than I do now, but I am alot happier now. Sure you could sell from home but you wont be very successful. You could also sell insurance, mortages, mutual funds, and any number of things from home but whom are you going to sell to? If you are entering a brand new field with no contacts, relationships, or customers your life is all about cold calling. You and every other newbie in the field are cold calling strangers. You will sound desperate and inexperienced and you will struggle. You will hear "no" dozens of times for every "yes". You cannot imagine how demoralizing it can be. People make it, maybe you could be one. There is a reason sales people make the most money. If it was easy everyone would be doing it.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:54 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Sales is a numbers game. You will likely hear more no's than yeses, but you can't take it personally. 90% of any sales involves prospecting. That is pretty much true no matter what you are selling. Sales is the highest paying profession on the planet. Nothing happens until something is sold. Successful salesmen are outgoing and like dealing with people. Since you didn't mention the company it would be difficult to evaluate whether it is legitimate or not. I would check them out if it is something that you would like to do. If they want money to train you I would run the other way. If you want to become a freight broker, you might want to just contact some brokerage firms and see if any of them will give you an opportunity.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:57 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I could have been clearer on my post. I was really wondering if that sounded like a legit post or not. I've been in sales for over 20 years myself. Took a break for 3 years and drove trucks. Got off the road last Nov. and went back into sales (Insurance) but I find myself thinking that I really don't want to stay in sales. Sales is all of what you two have said. Prospecting, cold calling, etc.

I've put in a lot of applications for local driving jobs, primarily fuel hauling, but no luck as of yet. I have more apps to complete tomorrow too. I think it's just slow around here right now and then the holidays are fast approaching.

Again thanks for the input.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:50 PM

well,let me share my experience as a freight agent

I hope you have enough cash to run you for 3-6 months,and maybe a year because that is how long it may take you to become self sustaining.
Freight agents sometimes use sub-agents to work under them and then the sub agents end up getting loads for the agent and he keeps them.

You will do a lot of cold calling and most people get a lot of calls,and they are not interested in hearing what you got to say.
Bottom line is you will do all the crappy stuff,and the broker or agent gets the easy stuff,the most of the money,and YOUR LOADS
when you quit and move on somewhere else.It is possible to develop into a good thing several years down the road or you could get
shafted and work for nothing for this guy.I suggest you check him out carefully,and proceed with caution.
i can go on to tell you a lot more about