User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 04:31 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You can get decent 2005 and 2006 53' reefers with 7k to 10k hours on them for $23k - $30k (depending on options) if you shop arround. Don't buy junk that you will later regret.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
Depends on how well sealed it is. There will be some water retention and insulation loss. Also if you run to CA it's too old.
I didn't know CA had a rear restriction what year a reefer could be what is it?
Old 10-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
You can get decent 2005 and 2006 53' reefers with 7k to 10k hours on them for $23k - $30k (depending on options) if you shop arround. Don't buy junk that you will later regret.
Your write glad I came here first before i made a move
Old 10-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorTrucking View Post
I didn't know CA had a rear restriction what year a reefer could be what is it?
Unit has to meet emission specs no more than 7 years. 2003 is good through 2010,2004-2011 ect.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
Unit has to meet emission specs no more than 7 years. 2003 is good through 2010,2004-2011 ect.
Cali, can kick rocks as far as i'm concerned. All they're doing is making business for the trucking and trailer manufactures . One hand washes the other. I run out that way often. the regs are a joke out there. With that said I wouldn't purchase anything (reefer trl) older than a 2000 right now, after it was inspected @ a thermo king or carrier dealer.
I was @ a dealer in Olive branch, MS the other week and i was told they have some good deals on 2004 less than 20k. Only thing is the unit has alot of hours as it was used by a team outfit. if all checks out well i may purchase one myself.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorTrucking View Post
would a 99 have the same problems?

These are age related problems. All reefers will develop them eventually but a '99 would almost surely be in better shape than a '90. I just traded in a '98 that was still reasonably solid, but you could tell the insulation had degraded quite a bit and there were soft spots starting to show up in the floor. If you're going to run regionally, you can get by with older equipment that is well maintained. If you're going to run coast to coast it becomes a much bigger gamble. It doesn't sound like you have reefer experience. Tread carefully, the liability risk is much greater.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries View Post
These are age related problems. All reefers will develop them eventually but a '99 would almost surely be in better shape than a '90. I just traded in a '98 that was still reasonably solid, but you could tell the insulation had degraded quite a bit and there were soft spots starting to show up in the floor. If you're going to run regionally, you can get by with older equipment that is well maintained. If you're going to run coast to coast it becomes a much bigger gamble. It doesn't sound like you have reefer experience. Tread carefully, the liability risk is much greater.
your write i dont much experience with a reefer I pull a dry van but from time to time I see some pretty good loads for reefers so figured it would be good Idea have one but based on what i learned here today im going to do alot more research before i purchase one.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Rookie

I have 2 53" REEFERS 2001 GREAT DANE Units looking for to sell or rent them
Both of them are in 100% road ready condition.
if interested give me call on 727 776 5991
Old 11-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Rookie

Personally I will never own a refer larger than 48' . The problem w/ shippers is . They need to educated on the difference. Example 44,000# load cannot be loaded past the
48' mark so your hauling around an extra 8' or around 2500# for nothing. If by some SMALL chance thier load is 26 boards @ 44k turn them side ways in a 48 and they fit just fine and tight is better than loose for refer fuel usage. ( the cool or frozen product holds it temp better tight). BTW in the last 30yrs allmost all loads I've in a refer are 18 to 19 boards. In my opinion a 53' is only good as a flat bed or dry van.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazgunny View Post
Personally I will never own a refer larger than 48' . The problem w/ shippers is . They need to educated on the difference. Example 44,000# load cannot be loaded past the
48' mark so your hauling around an extra 8' or around 2500# for nothing. If by some SMALL chance thier load is 26 boards @ 44k turn them side ways in a 48 and they fit just fine and tight is better than loose for refer fuel usage. ( the cool or frozen product holds it temp better tight). BTW in the last 30yrs allmost all loads I've in a refer are 18 to 19 boards. In my opinion a 53' is only good as a flat bed or dry van.
That's true if you're always grossing out and hauling into facilities with forklifts. But a dock that uses long pallet jacks exclusively isn't going to work. You can load 44000 past the 48' mark depending on which states you'll be traveling through. If you've got dedicated runs, you don't need the flexibility that a 53' gives you. I'd rather take the 10,000 lb dry load that cubes out than the reefer load that grosses out any day...money being equal; which it often is depending on the lane.