Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Owner Operators Forums (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums-105/)
-   -   Need advice on buying a reefer (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/owner-operators-forums/40563-need-advice-buying-reefer.html)

TaylorTrucking 10-25-2010 01:54 PM

Need advice on buying a reefer

I know a guy thats wants to sell me a refeer its 1990 GD he says its been serviced and will get down to 10 degrees with no problem BUT he doesnt know how many hrs it used:eek2: its 48ft know i now 48's can be problem with some shippers but overall not that big of a deal I think? my question is what should I look for to make sure this is not a lemon as far as the refeer unit its self?

chris1 10-25-2010 02:20 PM

If it's a 1990 trailer and unit the tires are worth more than the trailer. What does the hour meter say? Run the unit vin# through thermoking (or carrier) see whats been done to it and at what hours.

TaylorTrucking 10-25-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris1 (Post 488653)
If it's a 1990 trailer and unit the tires are worth more than the trailer. What does the hour meter say? Run the unit vin# through thermoking (or carrier) see whats been done to it and at what hours.

ok thanks so what would you suggest i offer for this trailer if everything checks out?

chris1 10-25-2010 02:48 PM

2500.00 would be too much.

TK THE TRUCKER 10-25-2010 03:35 PM

You're going to need to get down to -10 to pull frozen loads. Some shippers won't even load you until your trailer cools down to -10. Is it the original unit for the trailer or is the unit newer ? You might be able to find a manufacturer date on it some where or like chris1 said a vin check would be a really good idea. You definitely don't want it breaking down when there's thousands of dollars worth of freight in there.:cool:

no_worries 10-25-2010 03:38 PM

The unit is the least of your problems on a reefer that old. The insulation is degraded and waterlogged to the point of being nearly useless and the floor is probably an accident waiting to happen. Has nothing to do with maintenance...just a fact about how reefers are built.

chris1 10-25-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_worries (Post 488663)
The unit is the least of your problems on a reefer that old. The insulation is degraded and waterlogged to the point of being nearly useless and the floor is probably an accident waiting to happen. Has nothing to do with maintenance...just a fact about how reefers are built.

Thats why i said the tires are worth more than the trailer.

TaylorTrucking 10-25-2010 04:08 PM

just got the phone with the guy he says its actually a 99 not 90 year model he insist that its in good shape says its been sitting for about 8 months since he retired ? he says just make him a offer? is it worth going to check out?

TaylorTrucking 10-25-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no_worries (Post 488663)

would a 99 have the same problems?

chris1 10-25-2010 04:17 PM

Depends on how well sealed it is. There will be some water retention and insulation loss. Also if you run to CA it's too old.