User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Acceptable rates?

I just bought truck (on payment from man with authority) and was wondering what these rates compare to. Until truck is paid off from him it is on on agreement I run under him and he gets loads for most part. Here is breakdown for 2 loads this week.

475 miles
Crushed cars (pay based on weight):
$880.25 (this load)
$132.04 (for use of authority, etc, 15%)
$300 (approximate for fuel)
$0 fuel surcharge
$176.05 I pay my driver (I am tied up with physical crap right now)
$272.16 total net for load, not putting anything back.

466 miles
New steel (loaded same place crushed cars are delivered)
$475.32 (not including fuel surcharge)
$71.30 (authority use)
$282 (approximate fuel use, better mpg bc shorter load and less weight)
$95.06 to my driver
+$144.46 fuel surcharge, truck gets, driver or man w/authority doesn't get)
$171.42 total net for load, not keeping anything back

What you guys think about this? New steel gets me back home to load more crushed cars. I am car crusher so cars are mine, well most of time, pay my truck same as all others.

Guess what I am asking is $443.58 ($0.47/miles, after fuel, authority use and driver wages) enough?

Yes I am getting own authority after I get truck off so the 15% authority holder gets will be gone.

Please chime in, I would apprecriate it.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

What about truck payments? The first load is not bad, but you lost your shirt on the second. The gross on the second load is less than $1/mile. Unless you can get better rates I don't see how you can make money on this deal, especially with a driver. If you average the rate on both loads your gross to the truck comes out to $1.22/mile. After taking the driver pay and fuel out there isn't much left. Blow a tire and you are really in the hole.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Rookie

This driver is done, had enough of him. He is reefer box driver not flatbed. I have a driver I am putting on that I used to have work for me but he had health issues to square up, well he is back. He runs more weight on cars (pays per ton so usually another $120-$150 per load of cars) and he will haul 60' long iron steel which pays like $185 more going to same place. So for same trip after authority use and driver its about $200 more to truck. I am looking for different loads out of schredder that pays better.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Rookie

I am very frustrated with the cheap freight out of PA. We ended up taking a load to Philadelphia and we regret it now. Where should a person stay out of? We cant afford to haul these 1.00 per mile loads. Any advice?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2010, 01:28 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTruckn View Post
I am very frustrated with the cheap freight out of PA. We ended up taking a load to Philadelphia and we regret it now. Where should a person stay out of? We cant afford to haul these 1.00 per mile loads. Any advice?

Thanks
Not all loads coming out of Pennsylvania are cheap. The worst is eastern PA, especially around Philly. If you plan on hauling into bad freight areas then you need to make sure to get enough money to deadhead out to a better area. That is what I do. Most of the northeast and New England has cheap freight coming out. There is also the cost of tolls. You should take that into consideration when going to those areas. The better freight areas will depend on the type of freight you haul. Generally speaking the Midwest or the middle of the country consistently has the better rates. You can often get good rates in the Northeast if you are willing to stay in that area. The same thing could be said for the Western states. If you run north and south in the West then you can get decent rates. If you want to head East then rates are typically low.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

By the way, I have a friend who has been getting decent rates coming out of PA with his van. Rates for flats have been soft for me. Western PA rates have usually been better than than the eastern part of the state. Sometimes it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time. The important thing to remember is to be flexible where you run. If you only want to run a certain area, then you may not get the rates you want. I follow the rates. It may take me to places that I prefer not running, but I am in business to make money. If the money is in those places where I don't necessarily want to run then that is where I will go.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Rookie

I agree with GMAN (by the way tahts my 9yo son's nick name)lol a truck w/ no payments needs $1.06/mile just break even. No break downs No driver and worse no money in your pocket. As I've said on other post WE need to educate these brokers and shippers that we are business people to and need to make a profit as well. Be thankful your not on the west coast where fuel is from $3.299 to $3.549/ gallon. As I say my truck is paid for so I take nothing less than $2.00/mile. I pay myself $.45/mile and the rest goes back into the business. I have a driver I pay $.36 in my other truck and pay myself $.09 and the rest into the business. I try to keep him rolling so he makes a living but for me. If I have to sit for a day its not a big deal. I have to eat no matter where or what I'm doing.