User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2013, 04:06 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
Yes, you are! From those so call "bring home", not all money is yours. About 30% of it, belongs to your truck, and don't you ever forget about it. On the other hand $1,800 "gross net" is not so bad, and the guy said it was minimal check, and also he worked rail for Schneider. Would that $1,800 "bring home" your minimum working port Newark? I highly doubt it!
I was asking if this was good pay after all expenses were taken out.I would think, that after all expenses were paid, including money set aside for truck,this would be decent pay,no???
Old 02-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Yes, it would. But in his post, it was not "net net", it was "gross net", and after you'd put some truck money aside, the actual net would be around $1,200 from that $1,200 comes your pay+ benefits. It's a living, but not great. And once again, he worked rail for Schneider, not piers of Newark.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:22 PM
Rookie

Anybody here actually doing any work out of port newark that can give some more insight on things??
Old 03-14-2013, 01:53 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGreen View Post
Anybody here actually doing any work out of port newark that can give some more insight on things??
new to this forum .and pardom for any miss spells english is not my first language.
i did the nj and ny ports for bout 11 years .there are several port there olso if u work out of newark and ny port u will most likelly use the ones in philly and delaware sance there is mush transfer and pickup from them from time to time in jersey there is olso the rails witch many companys use to.in nj there is sealand or maerks sealand(berth88) berth64 or mahaers terminal.global in jersey city ,in ny there is holand hook witch is in the preosces of closing down.one thing they all have in common is they are all union.and the guys that work there are all dogs ,they treat drivers like **** or lower close windows on ur faces troble window is like waiting in deathrow to be sitted on the electric chair.in a good day u can get in and out in 1 hour in a bad day 7 hours. that is knowing all the tricks and ways to make thing faster.some containers line use there own chasis and other use a pool.now in order to get ur box u need to pickup ur chassis from the chassis yard that is not always in the same port like in the case of berth 64 or mahaers.
that was all a intro. now the fun starts when u are send to one of them and in some cases in berth 88 or sealand the line to get in gets all the way to the entrance of the turnpike, by that time u already know that u will be there for 5 hours at least one that dont know what to do will be there for 8 hours easy.ones u are in u are send to get a chassis. second fun there , start looking for one that is good is not the idea there, u have to look for the one that all tires are inflated or partially inflated and look at the instpection if that part is cover ,then start rebuilding all the lights on it that will surelly will have 2 or 3 missing or not working.part 3 of the fun go get ur box sometimes ur box location is in a line where there is atleast another 10 trucks waiting for that same spot and they cut , back up and try to flank u any way posible to get in first. in other words its a dog eat dog in that case,no respect at all .ones u are in the spot finally get off the truck and look in what row and in what position is ur box so u can tell the crane opeartor where its ,iam talking signalling a guy that is up in the air bout 60 feet high where in the 6 rown and how many boxes down from top to botton is ur box if u get it wrong he will get piss and leave u there for 3 hours easy.k u got ur box another fun part , now u have to go the the inspection line , they will check the chassis and pray they are in a good mood and pass ur with a nice red star mark in ur ticked other wise they send u to chassi change , meaning go to another line to get ur box of the chassis again ,drop it and fix another one hoping it will pass this time.next step is the check out go to the interchange line and btw each of this lines iam talking bout witch are several takes from 20 min to 1 or 2 hours.back to the interchange line here u tell to a guy on the other side of the box ur tiket # seal and so on and they finally give ur interchange ticket and free to do ur delivery hopping u wont get a flat cus in that case many companies charge u 300 to 400 buck for it sance they dont pay for chassis tires lol.
well there is mush to say bout this ports and this was just a little example of what happens there.
now bout rates it depend on the companies some pay good other are pure trash.good companies there is export transport they do only reefer containers ,k ocean olso reefers ,all points and all the other working under evans.

if u have more questions send me a mail will be happy to awnser any for u. iam currently in nc runing the chaleston port and i can be any happier lol. in and out in less than 20 min this is heaven for me .leave jersey a year ago and this is like day and nite for me compare to all the b/s in jersey
Old 03-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage View Post
new to this forum .and pardom for any miss spells english is not my first language.
i did the nj and ny ports for bout 11 years .there are several port there olso if u work out of newark and ny port u will most likelly use the ones in philly and delaware sance there is mush transfer and pickup from them from time to time in jersey there is olso the rails witch many companys use to.in nj there is sealand or maerks sealand(berth88) berth64 or mahaers terminal.global in jersey city ,in ny there is holand hook witch is in the preosces of closing down.one thing they all have in common is they are all union.and the guys that work there are all dogs ,they treat drivers like **** or lower close windows on ur faces troble window is like waiting in deathrow to be sitted on the electric chair.in a good day u can get in and out in 1 hour in a bad day 7 hours. that is knowing all the tricks and ways to make thing faster.some containers line use there own chasis and other use a pool.now in order to get ur box u need to pickup ur chassis from the chassis yard that is not always in the same port like in the case of berth 64 or mahaers.
that was all a intro. now the fun starts when u are send to one of them and in some cases in berth 88 or sealand the line to get in gets all the way to the entrance of the turnpike, by that time u already know that u will be there for 5 hours at least one that dont know what to do will be there for 8 hours easy.ones u are in u are send to get a chassis. second fun there , start looking for one that is good is not the idea there, u have to look for the one that all tires are inflated or partially inflated and look at the instpection if that part is cover ,then start rebuilding all the lights on it that will surelly will have 2 or 3 missing or not working.part 3 of the fun go get ur box sometimes ur box location is in a line where there is atleast another 10 trucks waiting for that same spot and they cut , back up and try to flank u any way posible to get in first. in other words its a dog eat dog in that case,no respect at all .ones u are in the spot finally get off the truck and look in what row and in what position is ur box so u can tell the crane opeartor where its ,iam talking signalling a guy that is up in the air bout 60 feet high where in the 6 rown and how many boxes down from top to botton is ur box if u get it wrong he will get piss and leave u there for 3 hours easy.k u got ur box another fun part , now u have to go the the inspection line , they will check the chassis and pray they are in a good mood and pass ur with a nice red star mark in ur ticked other wise they send u to chassi change , meaning go to another line to get ur box of the chassis again ,drop it and fix another one hoping it will pass this time.next step is the check out go to the interchange line and btw each of this lines iam talking bout witch are several takes from 20 min to 1 or 2 hours.back to the interchange line here u tell to a guy on the other side of the box ur tiket # seal and so on and they finally give ur interchange ticket and free to do ur delivery hopping u wont get a flat cus in that case many companies charge u 300 to 400 buck for it sance they dont pay for chassis tires lol.
well there is mush to say bout this ports and this was just a little example of what happens there.
now bout rates it depend on the companies some pay good other are pure trash.good companies there is export transport they do only reefer containers ,k ocean olso reefers ,all points and all the other working under evans.

if u have more questions send me a mail will be happy to awnser any for u. iam currently in nc runing the chaleston port and i can be any happier lol. in and out in less than 20 min this is heaven for me .leave jersey a year ago and this is like day and nite for me compare to all the b/s in jersey
translation: RUN!

Old 03-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage View Post

translation: RUN!

Old 04-06-2014, 12:52 AM
Rookie

i guess i'm just dumb enough to keep on digging in the hole i'm in....but.....i pull containers for a company out of charlotte, nc and i may not be a good truck driver but i can keep numbers!!
i average $1.29 to $1.30 per all miles driven which includes the fuel surcharge (gross pay per mile). i keep out of route miles to a minimum, low idling time, eat out of the truck cupboard, stay out all week unless i go directly by the house enroute. i have an older heavy W900L w/c15 cat-18 speed eaton and lately my fuel cost have been .56 to .58 cpm at 6.4 miles per gallon. fuel pump price with company discounts is about $3.69 this year. as far as dealing with the ports....it's a mind thing...you need to get yourself right before you enter!!! most container companies are nonforced dispatch, so learn your customers and their weights, loading characteristics. some customers are drop/hook locations. i try to get my dispatcher let me use the empty i pick up for my next load. but the most important thing to remember for me is to do a good pretrip on all chassis' and tires!! most of these companies try to charge you for a "run flat". i don't deal with the union mechanics in the ports....i just go back and request a different chassis if the one they originally issue isn't road worthy. i do as much of my own mechanical work as i can to cut costs.....i work for about .25 cent per hour when working for myself!!
Old 04-09-2014, 12:40 AM
Senior Board Member

i started off on the rail when i bought my truck. i did very well.. but i ran.. and ran hard. i had a goal in mind and i hit it and moved on. all i can say is make sure you go with a good company. do your research but dont expect to get rich at all.