User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 09:11 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
THAT'S what I was looking for. Thank you, sir! It is the Rochelle yard as you mentioned. I'm getting pretty close to doing this. Justy picked up a Truck Paper today.
Well, if you buy a truck outright with no payment, I see absolutely no reason you can't make good money and enjoy your job. It is amazing how much more stress free it is w/o a payment.

In fact, I got a kingpin bad, and decided to drop the rig off and have it all done up.... pins, links, rods, brakes, hubs ect. Also took all this next week off (screw that holiday traffic) and I aint even worried. i got plenty saved away to have it all done. Hell, I'm even 3 months ahead on my house payment
Old 11-22-2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
Well, if you buy a truck outright with no payment, I see absolutely no reason you can't make good money and enjoy your job. It is amazing how much more stress free it is w/o a payment.
I can't cash a truck out, but I'm trying to keep it cheap. I'm figuring 15-20k. Hopefully that can get me up and running with something reliable. I have no car payments right now (knock on wood), so now is a good time to buy the truck. I'd like to get the loan paid off quickly.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyNextDoor View Post
I do Intermodal out of port Newark, NJ. been doing it ever since I got my own truck september of last year. The company I'm least to is avaraging $1.25 empty or loaded including fsc. not good, but not bad either. they do keep me busy though, and on occasion i get a really sweet load that pays about $3 a mile. It is a pain in the ass to deal with the ports, so I avoid it as much as I can. They are union, and they don't care about anything, and most of the folks here could easily fit into the sopranos...

it is challenging at times, sometimes the chassis are really bad, and funy thing is the last couple of weeks/month or so they have been getting better with them. probably b/c next year they'll have to have DOT numbers on the chassis, so if something goes wrong, they get the ticket.

All in all, I'm always smiling abut my check at the end of the week, so no matter how hard the work actually is, it's worth it. Also might wanna consider that you'll need a TWIC card to enter piers.

I'll be happy to answer Q's if you want...
I'm looking to possibly get into Intermodal out of Port Newark.What Company are you leased onto? Is the FSC paid back to the truck at 100%? Do they help with tolls?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGreen View Post
I'm looking to possibly get into Intermodal out of Port Newark.What Company are you leased onto? Is the FSC paid back to the truck at 100%? Do they help with tolls?
i wouldnt bother with anything in nj or ny. i know when i was with land in harrisburg we got 76% of the gross 100% fsc. they told us the tolls were "figured" in. in my opnion once you get in to newark containers with rail or sea.. its the bottom of the barrel
Old 02-22-2013, 03:30 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
i wouldnt bother with anything in nj or ny. i know when i was with land in harrisburg we got 76% of the gross 100% fsc. they told us the tolls were "figured" in. in my opnion once you get in to newark containers with rail or sea.. its the bottom of the barrel
Is it that bad?? I see tons of trucks everyday hauling containers!!! the money is that bad? I seen one company,paying 70% of gross & 100% FSC!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Is it that bad?? I see tons of trucks everyday hauling containers!!! the money is that bad? I seen one company,paying 70% of gross & 100% FSC!!!
what they dont tell you is you can sit in the port all day. so while it seems like good money its not. i did REALLY well on the rail in harrisburg. but not much waiting and i hustled.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:08 PM
Rookie

I've been hearing that the worst time to hit the ports is early in the morning.After that it gets a little better.Anybody know if there is any truth to this??
Old 02-22-2013, 06:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
I worked Mon-Thurs from 8pm-5am and never brought home a check under $1,800 a week.
Thats an avg. of 450-500 a day. That doesn't sound all that great to me. But to each his own.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 02-23-2013, 03:42 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman View Post
Thats an avg. of 450-500 a day. That doesn't sound all that great to me. But to each his own.
Thats bring home for sure.Well,Im missing something here,but $1,800 bring home is $7,200/month.That dont sound bad to me.how much should he be making to make it good??
Old 02-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
,Im missing something here,
Yes, you are! From those so call "bring home", not all money is yours. About 30% of it, belongs to your truck, and don't you ever forget about it. On the other hand $1,800 "gross net" is not so bad, and the guy said it was minimal check, and also he worked rail for Schneider. Would that $1,800 "bring home" your minimum working port Newark? I highly doubt it!