User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I checked the lease agreement for this, and it doesn't look like it'd be an easy thing to do. Were I to decide to haul my own freight (let's say, from Canada to USA), I'd have - on top of their permission - also COVER all the Landstar signage on the truck. That doesn't seem practical. I'll rather focuse on building relationships with their agents and try to focuse on one thing - hauling machinery and equipment. My trailer after all is a bit specialized.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Aha .. I didn't that link was public. Thanks, G-man. I'll check it out. By the way, my question about the rate resolved itself - turns out they hadn't realized I was coming on board with own trailer! Just did another inspection, this time for the trailer, and I WILL get the extra percentage in commission for pulling my own stepdeck.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Senior Board Member

I ran with Landstar for a year on their van division and just about went broke. Their loadboard is just BS..... only loads posted on there are the loads nobody wanted. Ask your recuiter, they will tell you that the brokers DO NOT have to post their loads. And as usual, they always have their favorite drivers they use.

That being said, I have a long long story behind them and the games they play but it's too much to type. If you'd like to hear it then PM me and I'll give you my contact number and we can chat.......

But my advice is to go somewhere else.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
i think it doesn't matter what country you're from - you'll always get better rates leaving your home area, as opposed to getting back.
lolwut
Old 08-27-2010, 01:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Horse Cowboy View Post
I ran with Landstar for a year on their van division and just about went broke.
I don't think you can make money pulling a VAN with any company. My trailer is a stepdeck with a rolltight and I'll be in their kind of specialized division. I know about load boards: it's best to deal with their agents directly. No company is perfect, but I'm sure it won't be worse than my previous employer where I had to compete for freight with company drivers.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:22 AM
Rookie

Quote:
My trailer is a stepdeck with a rolltight and I'll be in their kind of specialized division.

Thats all good....but only if you can find the "specialized" freight to haul!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I don't think you can make money pulling a VAN with any company. My trailer is a stepdeck with a rolltight and I'll be in their kind of specialized division. I know about load boards: it's best to deal with their agents directly. No company is perfect, but I'm sure it won't be worse than my previous employer where I had to compete for freight with company drivers.
There was too much to post but the here was the rundown....
1st year I pulled freight box and could not get loads, they take a percentage of ALL you accessorial pay except your fuel (example: I got $50 a stop, but only saw $35 cuz they took $15 on every one) now they had nothing to do with my stop-offs, layover, ect ect but they still got their greedy fingers into it.

THEN I rented a lowboy from them and started pulling machinery. Now the loads payed on average .10-.25cpm more, but once again they stuck their greedy hands into it..... taking money for everything but fuel. SUch as tarp pay, chains, permits, ect ect.... they take a % (yes, even permits and pilot car pay) not to mention the sitting for 2-3days waiting to get a load that didn't pay less than $2 a mile (if you can even find one anymore)

I left them about broke and went over to Schneider on their Percentage Load Board and walla..... I made damn good money, no bull****, and they PAID you for stop-offs, layover, ect ect. I averaged $1.89 per mile for all my miles the year I was here. Only reason I left was because a family friend talked me inot coming over to QC and taking a dedicated run. I'm now on the gravy train-with biscuit wheels, but just like everything else, it will end one day as well.

Good luck to ya, I hope you do well.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Aha .. I didn't that link was public. Thanks, G-man. I'll check it out. By the way, my question about the rate resolved itself - turns out they hadn't realized I was coming on board with own trailer! Just did another inspection, this time for the trailer, and I WILL get the extra percentage in commission for pulling my own stepdeck.
As you may have already found out, the public board doesn't have the rates posted. You will need to call the agent that has the load to find out what it pays. The BCO loadboard does have most rates posted. You can only access the BCO loadboard when you are leased to them or know someone who will allow you to use their password.

I don't have many complaint's about Landstar. I did well when I was leased to them, but that was a number of years ago. They do have a lot of nickel and dime fees that they charge to the BCO's. Still, I did fairly well. Some do well, others don't. It takes a few months to learn their system. I know people who have leased to them the last year or two and they have not done well. Whether that is Landstar or the owner operator is anybody's guess. Freight is down as are rates for everyone. I know some owner operators who have been with Landstar for over 16 years. You don't stick with any carrier unless you are making money. With Landstar it is often a matter of finding a few good agents who have decent paying freight and working with them. You will likely not be offered the better paying loads until you prove yourself. Once they find that you are reliable and don't have claims they more inclined to offer you better paying loads. I would suggest that you check with some BCO's who are currently running for them pulling the same type of trailer and see how well they are doing.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Re: FEES When I was filling in the application I was careful to indicate with a YES or NO + my initials the options I specifically wanted or rejected. I didn't have to pay for Pre-Pass at my previous job but 10 bucks a month seems reasonable. I opted not to take Qualcomm with its $52 monthly charge, "Communication network" ($15 a month), and "Trailer Door lock ($129) since I have nowhere to hang it on to So, you just have to be smart. I did go for TripPak because I used them all the time to send bills over and they have been always very reliable. And it's only $16 per month, which is cheaper than using Fedex or Purolator or UPS. Landstar offers you "faster" mailing options, but they cost too much money, eg $125 for 10 pre-paid mailings with "the next day delivery". In my experience the much cheaper TripPak's yellow box is just as good.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:42 PM

Why not just scan your paperwork? Sending it in is so archaic.